Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What holster do you use in production?

thekid75134

It holds the gun with as much or as little retention as you want since it's adjustable. I bought it with a drop & offset piece for my belt. It's not super expensive and doesn't need to be super competitive in Production. It's as fast as any other Production legal holster. (In my opinion)

Its not. You asked how to make it better and that's all I could come up with. Lighter, faster, cheaper. How about a different retention mechanism than a screw? In all of these situations the changes you'd make to a production holster whether it be a blade tech, comptac, safari land, etc - is going to be minimal and probably not yield a competitive advantage. When it meets the standard of 1) holding the gun when you need it to hold it and 2) releasing the gun when you need it released... theres not much to a production holster. That being said, lighter is better, cheaper is better, etc. Good luck.

I have been using a Blade tech DOH for a G34 and find that I have a tougher time getting the correct grip off the draw at the same speed when compared to a regular non-offset holster or a duty leg holster.

I can draw from the BT DOH faster, but have a problem with presenting the front sight left off the draw unless I grind my hand down onto the gun before lifting it from the holster. Of course this is a technique problem, but it is driven by the angle of the BT DOH, where the gun points in toward the leg slightly. In running my hand directly up from arms relaxed and drawing the gun without that downward grinding "hitch," I often present it pointed slightly left.

I am going to try heating and bending the DOH bracket on the holster to try and 'fix' it. As always, YMMV.

If you know its a technique problem then why heat, bend, possibly damage your gear?

Other than reliable function of the weapon itself, most everything we attempt to achieve with better gear could instead be fixed by training or adjusting technique. This is an issue that does not show up with other holsters, like a BT single stack legal holster, that ride perpendicular to the ground. I have an extra BT DOH bracket- why not try it if it remains production legal? Alternatively, I may remove the bracket altogether.