Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

and you thought a Texas star was bad?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Larry Cazes

The_Other_Erik set one of these windmills up on his stage at last years Bay Bridge charity match. The only way I could see to get 8 hits was to shoot it SSLLOOWW! :D

That's not a skill challenge....it's something that should be kept out of the shooting sports.
Circus props should be kept out of USPSA in my opinion.

Oh man, I love you guys like brothers.

I was starting to think that I was a grumpy old bastard who alone hated what I often refer to as "Coney Island" targets, but you've restored my faith that there are others out there in IPSC-land who know the difference between a good COF and a Ferris Wheel with Frisbees.

(Attention Stormtroopers: Go to DEFCON 1, pending an assault from the usual quarters)

:ph34r:

The reason I say it is not a skill challenge is because if one of the best Limited shooters in the world throws twice as many rounds as required at the target and still has two misses, I don't see how it can be fair to anyone else.

The thing was moving so fast you couldn't even focus on one target as it was spinning so there was no way you could track them. Your only option was to put the gun in one place and hose.

I don't see that as a skill challenge.

holy war aside, what makes the windmill in the video move? motor, dropped weight with a string, something else?

just curious.

As for the holy war, while I like the texas star, and these look amusing, the windmill thing could indeed be set up to go fast enough that it heads into the territory of random outcomes.

I've seen windmills driven by either a weight on a string (popular for speed-up-slow-down-speed-up operation) or the ones at Nationals were driven by bungee cords-- they could spin either way, depending on which side was pulled out by the activator.

Holy sh*t. We saw the texas windmill this summer at the local match. The twisted mind of the designer put a steel no shoot in front of the damn thing at the 12 o'clock position. He could be seen rolling on the ground laughing while the "gong" went off numeroud times. That bobbing thing looks like fun, but I wouldn't want to run into it at a major match.

Circus props should be kept out of USPSA in my opinion. Those who have them to practice with have a distinct advantage. You don't need trick to make a good course of fire, and just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea.

Oh, I don't know? I've always wanted to do a charity side match for the Toys for Tots Match with a Carnival Dunk tank (me being the dunkee!) Only problem is the weekend rental for one is too expensive and the match is in Oct. brrrrr!

Personally I like the look of the Texas Bobber especially the one with 3 targets, but I absolutely hate Texas Stars!

Nolan

I agree with you rhino. If everyone shoots the same challenge I don't care how hard it may appear.

What I have a problem with are stages or props that can act differently for different competitors. For example I've shot stages where the targets appear/disappear at random intervals. I've also seen revolving displays that slow down or speed up during the day. Even the famous Texas star can fall in this category if not set the same way every time.

This reduces the shooting challenge to luck and not skill and really puts the match organizers on the spot if arbitrated.

The Texas star just moves on it's own based on the change of weight as diferent plates fall off. The windmill has a pulley on the back with a string and a weight. There is also a starter weight which falls off after giving the array a kick start (it starts really slow without this starter weight.

The rope can be wound around the pulley or the shaft to change the speed somewhat. That is why you can sometimes get inconsistent speed and starts if not set up the same every time.

It is activated by pulling a stick out from under one of the target arms - usually by a popper.

Have not seen a bobber yet, but it looks better to me than the windmill.

While I like the Texas Star and that bobber looks good, for some reason the Texas Windmill strikes me as kind of stupid; very much a carnival type device that I hope doesn't show up often.

Btw, isn't there a rule that prohibits target presentation beyond 90 degrees or something making the windmill illegal if the lower targets are exposed? :unsure:

No. Rule 2.1.8.4 only applies to static targets (i.e. those which don't move or are not activated).

That bobber looks cool. We have a double bobber from R&R racing that has a similar presentation.

Alvin, you haven't had the pleasure of shooting the windmill? We have one, but it was dammaged when it fell over. I need new bearings for it. I've been wanting use it being activated by opening a door. :ph34r: