Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 FNH USA 3 GUN CHAMPIONSHIP

My wife and I flew into and out of Reagan last year with all our firearms, mags plus some ammo and we had absolutely no problems -- everyone was friendly and were helpful with our Pelican cases -- flew Alaska. It is easy to avoid D.C. when leaving the airport which as stated earlier is located in Virginia.

Edited by imadvm

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*** AIR TRAVELERS: PLEASE READ! ***

Is there any problems flying into Baltimore or Washington with guns and 30+ round mags? These seem to be the closest airports to the match. I don't want get arrested before I get there.

As of 1 October 2013, it is unlawful to bring prohibited "assault weapons" into Maryland, a category that includes all AR-15* rifles. I would STRONGLY urge people to avoid BWI airport for this match. The AR-10 is still unregulated in Maryland, so some Heavy metal shooters might want to chance it, but the M1A/M14 type rifles are also on the banned list.

Dulles and Reagan National are both located in Virginia and should have no problems with your guns. If you fly into or out of Reagan, make sure you don't accidentally cross the river into DC. Make sure you bring not so much as a piece of ammunition or even a spent shell into DC if you decide to go sight-seeing there. If it is found, DC will prosecute you for unlawful possession of ammunition (yes, even for a spent case).

Dulles to Peacemaker is an easy drive that should not get you too deep into DC traffic.

If you have some way for somebody else to bring your rifle, BWI should be fine with shotguns, pistols, magazines, and other equipment. There is no prohibition on possession of magazines over 10 round capacity; there is a prohibition on transfer, so if you are bringing magazines to a buddy, wait until you are in Virginia or West Virginia to hand them over.

___

*For those that might pay closer attention, HBAR AR-15s are explicitly allowed, though there is disagreement among in-state FFLs over what qualifies; i.e., is it just current configuration or did it have to have been originally sold as and continuously maintained as an HBAR rifle. In short, I would not risk flying into (or, really, out of, since that is when BWI gets to look at your guns) Maryland with any AR-15 of any type. For Maryland residents who owned said rifles prior to the ban, there is theoretically no problem, which is how I can drive to WV and back for the match.

Edited by CJW

There is something called the Firearm Owners Protection Act that should help if you inadvertently take a wrong turn and end up in DC. As long as you are traveling from one place where it's legal to own the Firearm and going to another place where it's legal then you should be okay as long as it's locked and inaccessible.

More info here http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

There is something called the Firearm Owners Protection Act that should help if you inadvertently take a wrong turn and end up in DC. As long as you are traveling from one place where it's legal to own the Firearm and going to another place where it's legal then you should be okay as long as it's locked and inaccessible.

More info here http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

alma is, of course, correct and I completely agree that FOPA applies; you, however, may still end up making that argument from a jail cell after Metro PD has arrested you.

Also note the guy who just got convicted for 'attempted possession of ammunition' for having lead shot in DC. Now, maybe FOPA also covers transport of ammunition...and maybe it doesn't. And maybe none of us really wants to be the test case. :o

I'd still say the best bet is don't take any guns or ammo into DC at all!

Definitely that's the best plan and if you find ourself there then don't stop.

From Reagan International Airport it's pretty easy to take a wrong turn and end up on the one way into downtown DC.

In the Mid-West it seems like you are much more likely to get pulled over for traffic violations, taillights, or other small things. I have been in Northern Virginia for seven years and haven't been pulled over once. No matter how bad I am driving there will always be someone here that is driving worse and cops tend to focus on the ones who really deserve it.

I have to drive 4 miles or so through Maryland to get there. If I keep everything locked in the trunk, am I ok? Or should I drive 2 hours out of my way?

LOL I have to drive through NY, NJ and MD to get to any match. Drive the speed limit with everything in the trunk.

I have to drive 4 miles or so through Maryland to get there. If I keep everything locked in the trunk, am I ok? Or should I drive 2 hours out of my way?

LOL I have to drive through NY, NJ and MD to get to any match. Drive the speed limit with everything in the trunk.

Wow! I wish you luck!

Just don't get pulled over for going exactly the speed limit, and therefore looking suspicious!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Just don't get pulled over for going exactly the speed limit, and therefore looking suspicious!

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

LOL Yeah I do about 5 over and still have people slower and then the usual 80-90mph race cars drivers ;) I have already done it many times last year and once this year for the regionals. It's one of the reasons I am moving to NC in a few years.

We are no longer taking staff applications for the 2014 FNH. We currently have 8 ROs per stage and most of them are over-qualified. I doubt there is a staff list anywhere in the sport as impressive as the one on my computer right now. We've been fortunate to have great staffs the last three years at FNH, but this one is amazing.

We are no longer taking staff applications for the 2014 FNH. We currently have 8 ROs per stage and most of them are over-qualified. I doubt there is a staff list anywhere in the sport as impressive as the one on my computer right now. We've been fortunate to have great staffs the last three years at FNH, but this one is amazing.

That's very impressive....in my experience, the ROs at this match work very hard....long days in the sun or rain and they still have a smile on their face at the end of it.