Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone freebore the barrel to allow longer bullets?

mike4045

I am having issues loading bullets for my M&P. 125 rn and 147 fp bullets have to be loaded to 1.10. It really seems short. I am thinking of cutting the throat out to be able to load one length for all my 9mm. I am able to load to 1.140 for my other guns but they stick in the barrel.

Don't have any experience with BBI, or really any cast bullet for that matter. If by Precision, you mean Precision Delta. I'm not sure if they fixed their problems, but I had issues where the bullets weren't round and they were causing the exact issue you describe in a club members gun. He had an STI (or SV, who knows it's far too expensive for me) and it was jamming like crazy, not going into battery. I messed with the extractor, scrubbed the gun, checked springs. Finally the last thing I checked was putting some of my ammo in it instead of his PD ammo. 100 rounds without a hiccup. So I pulled bullet, tossed it in my mill and made sure everything was lined up right and then hand turned the mill. Damn things were like ovals! I've been making his ammo ever since with Montana Gold's and his gun hasn't had a jam in 3,000 rounds.

If you want to test out that theory for really cheap, 500 Berry's bullets should only set you back about 45 bucks.

I tried the SNS coated bullets also. They are hitting the rifling also. It happens in both guns with 3 different bullets. I think it is bullet design. I now have about 14k bullets that won't fit. My CZ SP01 forced me to load short also. I am trying to get my ammo ready for nationals. I plan to meet my gunsmith at a match next week and have him cut the bore out enough to load to 1.140 will all bullets. I have loaded MG 124 jhp with no issues but I am almost out of them.

The problem here, I believe, is that the bullet is hitting the rifling in the barrel, because of the profile of the bullet. I always put a empty (no primer, or powder) piece of brass with a bullet friction tight in it, into the chamber and make sure the bullet doesnt hit the rifling. If it does, I push the bullet in a bit farther till it doesn't hit the rifling Therefore finding my max OAL. With Precision 124gr, and 147gr bullets they have to be seated to 1.095 OAL before they don't hit the rifling. Crimped or not.

I found out they are not Bbi. I will still be cutting bore to fit the bullets. I am not comfortable with the short loading. There are rifling marks on the bullets. I played with loads last night. Ended up just loading them to 1.170 for my Sti. I will be ordering Bbi bullets after Nationals.

What you need is a throating reamer. It cuts a taper in the rifling, which is not the same as freebore, but it will solve your problem.

All barrels are not exactly the same due to minor variations in manufacturing. Custom barrels are often short chambered so they can be finished to depth after fitting to the gun. Factory chambers vary due to many factors such as tool wear, lubrication, fixturing, etc.

In a perfect world they would all be exactly alike and to spec but that will never happen.

Edited by Toolguy

I would be surprised if it happened but S&W may have sent you a barrel that missed the step in production where the throat was cut. Have you inspected the start of the lands to see if they have been tapered at all? If that's the case, a picture and phone call may get a new barrel sent. My M&P has chambered most of the bullets you've mentioned @ 1.14-1.16.

Of course you could just stay the course and cut the throat as you have planned.

I found out they are not Bbi. I will still be cutting bore to fit the bullets. I am not comfortable with the short loading. There are rifling marks on the bullets. I played with loads last night. Ended up just loading them to 1.170 for my Sti. I will be ordering Bbi bullets after Nationals.

please measure your crimp and tell us what it is.

I am at FallenBrethren match right now so I can't measure crimp right now. I am going to look into aftermarket barrel also. The wife called to let me know I just got a case of jacketed bullets in. I will be using the match ammo service for Nationals. So no hurry on gun now. Thought I was going to have to run Lead/ Moly bullets for the match.

Many times the barrel manufactures will refer to their chambers as "match". We have seen cases where 124 gr hollow points loaded to 1.12 would not chamber when white box and umc round nose would. Both LW and Para factory. Bought a .356 reamer and reamed till the hollow points dropped in.

Edited by hearthco