Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much play b/t Upper and Lower?

apetrulis01

I picked up my JP VTAC rifle yesterday from the gun store. Great feel and lightweight but i quickly noticed there is a significant amount of play between the upper and lower; way more then my Smith and Wesson mid length magpul. When I have the rifle shouldered I can wiggle the upper back and forth while holding the handguard.

I figured this needs a call to JP to see if this is normal. I just figured a rifle from JP would be tighter then the one I have from Smith and Wesson.

Thoughts,

Adam

I've been playing with this issue for a long time. Yes, and upper and lower may rattle, it has no effect on group size. I have bedded AR recievers with Bisonite, and found that the only change was shape of the group, not size.

That said, I don't like a loose fit either, and have bedded, and used the Accu Wedge to minimize it.

I called JP today, they said it should not be like that and sent me a shipping label to send it back to have it looked it.

I held the rifle on a target about 100 yards away and could wiggle the upper back and forth which brought the sights of target.

Adam

I have the same rifle. Just double checked and there's no side to side movement of the upper on the lower. JP customer service is great. Glad to hear they're taking care of you. I look forward to your update. Please let us know how long the turnaround was. Thanks!

another solution is to spray some duracoat inside the takedown pin holes on the upper receiver, and let it dry of course. you could do multiple layers if need be.

for me that has added just enough thickness that the takedown pins now need to be poked through with a punch, which is the way I like it.

but it sounds like yours was out of spec because that sounds like a lot of play.

accuwedge is a great solution in search of a problem. It is a great way to induce malfunctions.

I love it when I see that. All these years later I'm still waiting for someone to explain how.

The closest I've gotten is people saying it will break and jam the gun. People whom apparently have never seen an accuwedge in person. The only way to break it would be with liquid nitrogen and a hammer.

Seems to me it's just one of those silly things people hear or see and like so repeat…. kind of like the tired expression "solution in search of a problem."

Admittedly I'm an accuwedge fan.

Took the slop out if 2 ARs with zero issues in over 10 years of use.

There are a number of things that can malfunction in an AR. An accuwedge won't be one of them.

Use with confidence.

accuwedge is a great solution in search of a problem. It is a great way to induce malfunctions.

I love it when I see that. All these years later I'm still waiting for someone to explain how.

The closest I've gotten is people saying it will break and jam the gun. People whom apparently have never seen an accuwedge in person. The only way to break it would be with liquid nitrogen and a hammer.

Seems to me it's just one of those silly things people hear or see and like so repeat…. kind of like the tired expression "solution in search of a problem."

Well,

My wedgie grew over years of being soaked in FP-10. So much so that it started interfering with normal BCG movment. IE Failure to return to battery completely. The thing swelled up into the path of the BCG.

Two minutes with a razor knife trimming it down and problem solved. Love the way it makes a upper/ lower combo feel. but it can make a unforseen problem happen. Just sayin.

I understand I could use a wedge and I understand Ar have some play between the upper and lower receiver. My rifle seemed to have a little bit more play then usual and I called JP just to ask if this is the norm for their Tactical Rifles. The individual on the phone (great service) talked to a tech and they said that much play is not the norm for their rifles and would like me to send it back to look at it.

If they said we put that much play in our rifles, well ok then. But I figured JP was a little more precise with there rifles.

Adam

Whenever this comes up people talk about it not effecting accuracy. Who said anything about accuracy? I don't want my rifle to wobble.

Besides using accuwedges (even when I don't really need them), I've used the JP split pin (which worked pretty well in an extremely wobbly gun, but it was a pain the ass), I've shimmed guns, built lugs up with tape, built them up with epoxy and marie tex, and Ive even peened them. And a few times I've lived with guns that still wobbled. lol But given the choice, no wobble for me please.

Edited by cas

Has anyone ever picked up a pistol (like a 1911 Gov model) that you can rattle in your hand and make a nasty noise? Any wonder as to why nobody uses something that in 3G or USPSA? If fit and finish didn't matter in these guns, the equipment in our sport would be much cheaper. There's a reason that manufactures who guarantee sub MOA accuracy fit the lowers and upper to close tolerances. In my experience the wedge works, the original wedge, not the copied ones. The only time I've seen them potentially cause a malfunction is when they were used in a non-mil spec lower like some of the M&Ps.