Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primary Arms 1-6 Scope

Alaskapopo

All industries try to cut cost to bring use to them. Funny how we (find out latter) what we thought was made by a particular company was only partially assembled or only packaged there :huh: " Its a good thing to start asking now ". Were ALL trying to get the BIGGEST BANG for our buck aren't we ?. 3 Gun is part of the shooting sport world, we can encourge business that manufacture Shotguns, Rifles, handguns, and Scopes to take notice, and get on board with communication when we buy from them

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying that I really like Primary Arms. Their quality has been steadily increasing and they stand behind their products. I put one of these https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htmon a lightweight AR that I built for my daughter, and it seems to be an excellent red dot sight!

Now to the PA 1-6. I've had 2 and both were shipped back to PA. The second one for a refund. The first one had a hair under the ocular lens. I though the second one was good to go, until I got to bench rest it. I wasn't happy with the groups I was getting, with lots of horizontal fliers, so I tried my Vortex Viper 1-4x and the groups shrank considerably. Went back to the PA and the groups opened up again. Then, between 2 shots I was just tightening up on the trigger and the reticle giggled, left to right! Reticles aren't suppose to do that! Anyway, that explains my horizontal fliers. I had great hopes for this scope, but in my search for a bargain I guess I went too far. I think PA may get this scope right in the future, but it's a lot to ask for at this price.

Now I'm seriously looking at the Burris XTRll 1-5x. I have one of the Weaver 1-5 scopes and kinda like it, but I can't get by the front focal plane thing. The reticle is pretty fine at 1x, and too coarse at 5x. The search for the perfect scope that doesn't break the bank goes on.....

I have yet to have a problem with mine. I bought a blem sale on that said it had bubbles around the perimeter but I don't see em. I have never had it lose zero in the 6 months ive had it. Now im not great shot but I can hold sub 2" groups at 100 yards all day long.

All my PA products are holding up great.

Mine has been amazing! Not babied, or coddled, shot like equipment, not an investment. The gun deserves most of the credit, but the scope has unerringly guided my cheap 5.56 paper punchers to holes that overlap like a post-apocalyptic Venn diagram.

I just spent two days at Legion OTG in Blakely GA at a long range rifle event. I took two of my ARs in 5.56 with the Primary Arms 1x6 and my Rem 700 LTR 308 with the PA 4x14 FFP with ACSS reticles. The PA scopes worked great and the reticles worked exactly as advertised.

Like to ask if the Primary Arms scope reticle works out with any off the shelf ammo, or its just hit or miss . Between the new Vortex strike eagle , and Primary Arms reticle It comes down to which actual works

Like to ask if the Primary Arms scope reticle works out with any off the shelf ammo, or its just hit or miss . Between the new Vortex strike eagle , and Primary Arms reticle It comes down to which actual works

Let me start by saying I don't know the direct answer to your question. But - for the most part BDC marks won't match exactly. For that reason, something like iStrelok is invaluable. Once you plug in info specific to your load, rifle and reticle you can see the yardages that line up. From there it is just a matter of tweaking the zero point to make it usable for you.

As an example, I shoot XM193 (or a handload that matches) using a 16" mid gas rifle and a Viper PST with a 200 yd zero. Out to about 250 yds or so you can hold bottom/middle/top depending on target size and distance. From there to 400 yds which is as far as I've shot you can bracket the target on the MOA hashes.

Remember, this isn't precision shooting per se - just have to get a called hit. So knowing your scope and load ballistics is a bigger piece than having the BDC marks match specific yardages.

Just one mid pack shooters opinion, and of course YMMV.

The 1x6 ACSS BDC worked for me in my two 16inch, midlength, 1-9, 223/556 ARs shooting Federal XM193 factory 55 FMJ and the 4x14 ACSS BDC worked for me using SSA 168 OTM (Nosler Competition bullets) 308 in my Rem 700 LTR 20 inch (OEM barrel). Targets were steel USPSA like metal targets out to 800 yards. No issues hitting with BDC to 600 yards - could not confirm or deny hits past 600 with the cheap spotting scope we were using.

The scope comes with a chart that tells you how you need to zero based on a few popular loads (e.g. XM193 or XM855). Also, the guy who designed the reticle posts on the PA industry forum on arfcom, and if you tell him your load data, he will tell you how to zero for the hold overs to work.

I have the PA and the Vortex 1-6x. The PA is great for a $300 optic, no it does not compare to my Vortex.

Can and does it hit out to 500yds minute of 3 gun accuracy?...yes. The reticle aligns with bullet trajectory pretty well certainly good enough for 3 Gun. I like the reticle better than the Vortex EXCEPT it's not daylight visible. I only use illumination on short shots both eyes open, so that hurt it for me some. I use it on my back up gun.

Thank you; A question I have is which of the two reticles do you all feel would work better/quicker at longer distances. The Primary Arms, or Vortex strike Eagle, and is there even a better choice ?

With all these copy cats the biggest difference of buying one over another would be which retical Works Best at distant targets. I'd like to say Primary Arms 1-6 . Not sure at this price if were going to be able to notice much difference in glass quality. I have spoken with Vortex and they have said the Strike Eagle is NOT day light visible. Sooooo there all running neck and neck just depends which reticel you like.Thanks

• 2 months later...

If you can give me precise dimensions, I can put a fitted one up on Shapeways. I have a bunch of them made up already for other scopes, they work great. Plastic though, but it seems to hold up just fine.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/tunabreath?section=Scope+Accessories&s=0

Sorry if I'm breaking any advertising rules or anything here.

Edited by tunabreath

Finally bought one of these for my 13yr-old son's rifle. He has struggled with trying to remember Mil- holds when under the pressure of the clock, so I thought a simpler reticle would help. He shot it in his second match this weekend, and had his best finish to date, 4th overall and 85% of the first-place score, top junior. Ran all the close shots at 1x, then dialed to 6x for the long prone shots. Hit the 312yd target on his second shot, 400 yard target on first shot. I will say it is not as clear as the glass on my Vortex Razor HD, but it isn't $1,400 either. Reticle is simple enough to use, zeroed at 200 for xm193s out of a 16" barrel. Use a chrono to check velocity out of YOUR barrel, then zero at the recommended distance for your bullet. Easily good enough for the 4moa +/- targets we shoot at in 3gun. Adjustments repeated well during zero procedure, grouped under 1moa at 200 yds without trouble. Definitely seems worth the price. I will recoup before the year is out just in ammo my son won't burn missing targets :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using an Aero Precision and like it. Not QD but I don't swap scopes around once I get one set up so fine for me. Also have a left side charge upper and there are no protrusions on the left side of mount and very little on the right side.