Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best holster?

george76904

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was a Safariland man for 12 years. Now going to DAA Racemaster. Broke a few tension screws on the Safariland over the years. Like the idea of a full aluminium holster, and nothing going up my barrel when I re holster

CR Speed for me. A CORRECTLY setup CR Speed has more retention than any of the other holsters mentioned, but it seems like everyone tries to set up the holster too light or incorrectly to gain an "advantage"...

I've seen 2 instances where a small piece of dirt/grit in one of the other holsters mentioned required the gun to be removed by having to physically break the holster body from the gun.

Another happy RM user here. Valid points about blowing dust and shit locking up the RM; after shooting the Nationals in Utah all that blowing crap made the holster lock hard to activate, and I had a little trouble holstering also. solution is to clean the thing when encountering extreme environmental conditions....

other than that I've been very happy with the holster. Just don't bend down to pick up a piece of brass with an Open gun holstered and the lock not activated, I did this days before I left for the Nationals and my gun got pushed out of the holster by my leg. It proceeded to land on the cement right on the sidemounted scope which of course cracked. my fault though. use the provided lock which is there for a reason....

I use the Safariland 013 and like it very much. I also shoot 3 gun and the 013 works great while competing in 3 gun where confidence in pistol retention is critical.

I was given one of these but I can't get it to work with a side mounted optic?

You have to file/dremel/wheel the left part of the top of the holster in order to gain clearance for the scope mount. After that is done, the holster retains it fine.

A vote here for the Safariland, it oozes quality and is adjustable for a perfectly secure and wobble-free yet easily drawed fit with a muzzle protector.

I don't like the holsters without a muzzle protector, for those stages where you have to sit down. I don't like the holsters without a leg prop to keep the holster up and more secured. I don't like the holsters without adjustable tension. The only thing I wish the Safariland would add is a locking lever instead of the sliding button it has.

Edited by Whoops!

I had been using a Double Alpha Racemaster and really liked it but I just got the latest generation Limcat holster and it is even better. The DAA would sometimes bind if you didn't draw straight up, the Limcat is much more forgiving and never binds. Also, like the DAA, it's very secure when locked down

CR Speed for me. A CORRECTLY setup CR Speed has more retention than any of the other holsters mentioned, but it seems like everyone tries to set up the holster too light or incorrectly to gain an "advantage"...

I've seen 2 instances where a small piece of dirt/grit in one of the other holsters mentioned required the gun to be removed by having to physically break the holster body from the gun.

We have done this before, but the above bold statement is not true. It is not possible for a CR Speed to have the retention of several of the holsters mentioned. It just IS NOT designed for you assertion to be true. Any holster that allows you to draw through the lock, cannot possibly have the retention of one that doesn't.

I had been using a Double Alpha Racemaster and really liked it but I just got the latest generation Limcat holster and it is even better. The DAA would sometimes bind if you didn't draw straight up, the Limcat is much more forgiving and never binds. Also, like the DAA, it's very secure when locked down

I have both a Limcat and a DAA, and a CR. I like the DAA best, but the Limcat is a close second.

I use the DAA Double Alpha Racemaster holster for my Open and Limited guns. I have never had any issues with retention

the holster has never failed to secure the gun when it needed securing and releasing when it needed releasing. In addition I have found my draws to be extremely fast and on point. While they might not offer the protection others might from bumps and bruises, those that do will leave wear marks on you guns no matter how careful you walk. My choice was the DAA and walk a little straighter. :)

Can someone please tell me why everyone is going with the RM vs Racer? Is it just the Aluminum body or the ability to change weapons without a whole new holster?

um yeah you got it. RM is aluminium (looks and feels nicer) and has changeable inserts for different guns. for not much more money than the racer you get a more versatile rig.

my vote goes to the RM too, or the other I really like is the H&S CW5 (do NOT like the CW6, it's crap). lock is very nice and easy to use. still holds it securely without the lock. draw is very easy. they are delrin not aluminium but I really like them.

• 2 weeks later...

I went from Race Master to Manny Bragg, to the 014. I'm happy with the 014 now.

Race Master worked most of the time. But that odd time when the gun was drawn at an angle, it would catch, and do so badly. I tried many things to remedy it, but nothing made it function 100% reliably.

Manny Bragg was fantastic. Awesomely smooth draw. But the more I shot steel challenge, the more I realized that there was too much side-to-side wobble on the gun for a perfectly repeatable draw each time.

On to the 014. Combines the fantastic short retention release of the Manny, with the stability of a muzzle-plug design. I'm not looking back.

FWIW, the H&S CW5 would bind on the draw all the time on my Tanfoglio Gold Custom. Even sometimes when I did pull it straight up, it was the most inconsistent holster I ever had. Probably could have been fixed if I sent it in with the complaint. Instead, I tried to fix it myself and made it slightly better, but a worse fit.

How is the cheaper DAA Racer holster? To my untrained eye itlooks just like the

Can someone please tell me why everyone is going with the RM vs Racer? Is it just the Aluminum body or the ability to change weapons without a whole new holster?

um yeah you got it. RM is aluminium (looks and feels nicer) and has changeable inserts for different guns. for not much more money than the racer you get a more versatile rig.

my vote goes to the RM too, or the other I really like is the H&S CW5 (do NOT like the CW6, it's crap). lock is very nice and easy to use. still holds it securely without the lock. draw is very easy. they are delrin not aluminium but I really like them.

Has anyone tried the Racer version? The cost seems to be 35% lower, though it is limited to 1 pistol (of which i only have 1). I currently have a hogue powerspeed 500 that I picked up used for a really low price, its adequate but I bag my pistol after each stage.