Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best holster?

george76904

I have just completed an open top end for my EAA Witness, and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about running different holsters. Things like the CR speed ones where the pistol is held up and away from your body, those almost scare me. I am worried that durring some stage, especially ones like the TFD match the pistol might smack into things and the optic might break. I currently run a safariland something... Which is great!! I love how firmly it holds the pistol and how easy it is to draw from, but I used a compact slide so that when the comp. was on there the OAL wouldn't be all that much longer. But with the compact slide is a stronger recoil spring. Now that wouldnt be a big deal. But I am using a frame mounted optic and although I know there is no humanly possible way to make the mount more secure on the pistol I still dont like pulling on it to rack the slide. Simple answer right? Just get a slide racker, but the safariland holster holds the gun right on my hip so a slide racker on the left won't work. Any sugestions? or reviews on how your holster protected your open pistol?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things like the CR speed ones where the pistol is held up and away from your body, those almost scare me.

I am using a frame mounted optic and although I know there is no humanly possible way to make the mount more secure on the pistol I still dont like pulling on it to rack the slide.

Just get a slide racker, but the safariland holster holds the gun right on my hip so a slide racker on the left won't work.

I agree with Sarge. In my case I use and am comfortable with a CR Speed. But do not use any gear that you do not trust or makes you uncomfortable. The game is tough enough without second guessing your gear after the buzzer sounds.

I may be missing something, but with a frame mounted optic, why do you pull on it to rack the slide? Or is it a slide mounted optic? If so, does your slide have serrations near the muzzle?

More than a few right handed shooters have their slide rackers installed on the right side of the slide. They may do it for clearance, like you would be doing, or they just don't want to remove the slide racker every time they pull off the slide.

Bill

Oh believe me I was never questioning the retention inability of a CR speed.I was just seeing if anyone else had the same concern is me ,and yes you are right I meant to say slide but I said frame however my gun does not have serrations near the front of the slide on your the back of the slide .

I use a Safariland 014 holster for my Open Glock 17 and I do realize that it will not protect my optic, which causes me to be a bit more careful about potentially running into things. Whereas with my limited gun and Safariland ALS, I do not care if something hits my gun/holster. This mainly applies to 3 gun competitions for me, since most of the pistol competitions I participate in, the gun spends little time in the holster.

Race Holsters don't protect guns they just retain them. I protect my gun by trying to avoid walking into things. RM is what I use. Very secure but it only does what intended

You do that too . . . walk into things? Ha!

There is a poll in here somewhere, on open holsters. It shows more people use the CR Speed than any other holster, for whatever that is worth.

I've used a Guba Ribas for years with no problems. Never dropped the gun or knocked it out of the holster.

I switched several years ago from a CR Speed to a Gugas because I don't have to re-configure the holster for different length guns. I did have the piece break that locks the gun in. Gugas Ribas was really good, but, my parts kept getting stolen before they could get them out of Brazil. :goof:

Now, I have a "back-up" Gugas Ribas, and still have a CR Speed as a back-up to the back-up :cheers:

I tried a Ghost holster and was never comfortable with it. After the second dropped pistol I had to change. Safariland was my choice for 12 years so I decided to try the 014. The 014 is a great holster, has plenty of adjustment for an open gun, and is absolutely secure. No more dropped open pistol.

OP, if you have multiple safety area where it is accessible on each stage, bag it. Why carry that much weight for almost the entire much? If your answer is because you can, 014 gets my vote :grin:

Ok so the list so far...

Race Master- 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1=8

Cr speed- 1=1 and a back up so 1 1/2

014 -1,1,1,1,1=5

013-1=1

Other -1,1=2

So far Race master is winning by a large margin but honestly I like the design of the 014 better. Any thoughts, or comments?

Edited by george76904