Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Browser On The Block

Hello All,

Firefox is here! The browser you have always wished you had.

I will give you five reasons you should try it. You will find your own reasons to keep using it.

1. Free Pop-up blocker

2. Free Ad blocker

3. Really cool logo

4. Did I mention? IT'S FREE!

5. It isn't a Microsoft Product

One downside is no Form Autofill (yet), but heck, it's an initial release and it's already much better and a whole lot more stable than IE.

It really is time to take back the web. Dump IE & Outlook, browse with Firefox and use Eudora for e-mail (the light version is free too and it works fine).

Mozilla Homepage: http://www.mozilla.org/

Mozilla System Requirements: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/sy...quirements.html

Mozilla Download Page: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/all.html

Eudora Download Page: http://www.eudora.com/download/

--

Regards,

It does work nicely. Although it renders some pages badly, since some sites figure that 95% have IE, and don't code to allow for differences.

Hopefully, it'll get faster with the next release, but all in all, a good solid competitor.

It does work nicely. Although it renders some pages badly, since some sites figure that 95% have IE, and don't code to allow for differences.

Hopefully, it'll get faster with the next release, but all in all, a good solid competitor.

having jsut finished a mockup for a web page in static html, don't go blaming IE or lazy web devs.

Firefox uses mozilla's gecko engine. the mozilla group has a number of religious beliefs about the interpretation of some aspects of standards that dont stipulate things to the last letter. Their religious beliefs seem to be largely to disagree with what everyone else thinks is right.

Seriously, when something does as expected in IE, opera, safari, and a java based browser, but not firefox or mozilla, the problem isn't everyone else.

Right now I'm pretty miffed with firefox wasting many hours of my life.

If you like using CSS, and you don't like headaches, you might want to track down undohtml.css. It unscrews some problems with geko based browsers and gives you some ideas for wrangling the base html styling of your browser.

It's a mostly good browser though.

don't go blaming IE or lazy web devs.

raz-o, no offense, I wasn't saying that.. I was saying other, like me, only code to IE, and how it looks there (unless I know I have a Netscape audience as a requirement)... otherwise, once it looks good in IE for me.. it's done. I shoot for the 95% audience, as long as the page functions right, the differences in appeance, I let it go..

My pages render the same, slightly plain look under Netscape when compared to IE.

One thing I always check for is Mozilla rendering before I call any page(s) done. The result of not checking that out can make it a pretty lousy experience for those neglected users. When things don't work in Mozilla, the mis-render is seldom insignificant as far as how a page is supposed to look.

As an analogy, If in another of my work hats I did my grayscaling and gamma curve setups on video projectors and displays for the average mass understanding of what is correct tonal balance, I would not be doing my job. Not a perfect analogy, but a good one nonetheless when it comes to delivering your best effort at anything. 95% is too easy, 97-98% is where you should always get to get if you are trying for 100. When I am paid to do a job, I always under-promise and over-deliver, it's what the customer deserves. It's what I want when i pay for something to be done by a pro.

--

Regards,

It runs on Windows, Macs, Linux

Mac Operating Systems

Mac OS X 10.1.x

Mac OS X 10.2.x and later

Minimum Hardware

PowerPC 604e 266 MHz (Recommended: PowerPC G4 667MHz or greater)

G3, G4, 64 MB RAM (Recommended: 256 MB RAM or greater)

72 MB hard drive space

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/sy...quirements.html

George... how close do you try to get it to look, as long as it's close, or equally as well? The problem for me is the font sizing never seems to be the same, so it some circumstances, a table header may wrap on NS... those are the sort of things I'll figure.. close enough.

And at some point, yuo have to pull the plug on how far back you'll support, it's just a question of where. I have to support NS 4.61.. but I don't check backlevel IE 3,4 or 5.. And I don't try with NS 4.0x, etc... just curiuos what others are doing..

And at the high rates we charge back at, it's a little hard to justify spending $125 an hour, for an audience (for us) that's less than 1% total of all non IE 5.5 or IE 6.0 users.

how close do you try to get it to look, as long as it's close, or equally as well?

As long as it's close enough and doesn't totally trash the table rendering I'm OK with it.

As far as retroactivity goes, if someone is still cruising in Mosaic, Netscape 2, or IE 3, I can't help that. I call 4.0 the boundary line on browser backwards compatability. I do believe the Netscape 4-7 user base out there is larger than you think it is. I have a lot of clients in the production arts community in my area and a significant portion of them are still running on older Mac systems and using Communicator 4, or Netscape 7 as their browser and e-mail client.

IE 5.2 is still the latest version available for all Mac users. If you don't support that, you might as well write off 20% of the world. I was on a cruise to Mexico in 2002 and the main dockside internet cafe in Puerto Vallarta had nothing but older Wintel boxes running W98. IE 5 & Communicator 4.7 were the only available browsers.

--

Regards,

What would be the benefit of changing to Eudora

The benefits are gained by not using Outlook, or Outlook Express for mail. Those apps are very virus prone when run on Windows platforms. If you are already using Thunderbird as your mail client, then you are good to go.

--

Regards,

Hi Brian,

Firefox is very similar to Safari and the rendering engine in Safari is a relative of the Mozilla 7 engine used in FireFox.

Firefox and safari both have POP-up blockers included, but Firefox goes one better by adding the option of a "Free" ad-blocker.

You access it by selecting the extensions option in the "Tools" menu. When the Extensions window opens up, click the "get more extensions" link. When the new browser window that opens finishes loading it's page, click the link for "Most Popular" and scroll down the resulting page until you get to adblock and select it. It self installs and from then on, whenever you open a page with ad content Control, or Right Click on any content you want blocked and select Adblock from the rollout list.

The only real downside to Firefox at present is the lack of an auto form fill function. But that also means that it isn't handing out your info either.

--

Regards,