Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 minor

3djedi

What would I need to change in my sti eagle to get reliable functioning to shoot .40 minor through it for IDPA?

40 S&W Cheater Round (Low to No Recoil)

Info:

This 40S&W is loaded with a 180gr hollow point plated bullet designed for shooting IDPA (SSP and ESP) also USPSA (production Class). Low to No recoil or flash! The case is once fired Federal nickle brass. Due to the the light recoil we use Federal Premium primers to guarantee dependability.

Standard deviation: 8.7

Power Factor: 135,500

Velocity: 753

Tested in a Glock 35 with stock barrel

No need to muck with mainspring. You can try a lighter recoil spring if you have any failures to cycle, but many guns will run both without changing anything. I don't change recoil springs between my USPSA major and 3gun (minor) ammo in my 6" 2011.

Wolff Gunsprings makes variety paks of recoil springs. For a particular load, I start high and work low with the idea that I want the front sight to settle back on target quickest. Too little spring and the muzzle won't drop back in line with the target like it belongs there. Too much spring seems to make it "dive" past horizontal until it comes back up.

Video taping from the side shows this plainly, but I usually watch the front sight for the effect with each spring. Different shooters hold the pistol tighter or looser too and that effects how it recoils. Sometimes with the proper spring for a minor load, the slide can seem to be returning very slowly, but the timer shows you're actually shooting faster (once you adjust to it of course- I wouldn't recommend changing things before a match).

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Keep the powder charge from your major load and reduce the bullet weight. Go to a 155, 140, or 135gr bullet.

I found this worked better for me after I tried keeping the 180gr bullet and reducing the powder charge.

+1. I took my major load (200gr FMJ, 6.4gr AA #5) and switched to a 180gr bullet which gave me about 140 power factor. Then I went with a 155gr bullet and it was quite a bit softer still, though I haven't chrono'd it yet. Its nice not having to adjust the powder measure, just put a different bullet on top for USPSA or 3 gun.

I just tested a batch of 3.5 clays, 1.18 oal , 180 Bayou's, Eagle.

866 fps 155 pf on my stuff. Not a powder puff load but a fun to shoot load and no need to mess with the gun. It sort of makes the Eagle in IDPA feel similar to an Edge with a 168-172 pf load which is handy under my circumstances.

I run an 10lb with shock buff for 40 minor. Early this week, forgot I had Major pf loaded mags in my kit (and by major, I mean 185pf work in loads) and it was a rather interesting event putting them through this config.......

I run 40 minor in my 6" without changing any springs. I actually load it to 2.8 gn Clays with a 180, and it's stupid soft and still makes minor (I forget exactly where, but like 135pf). the SWC make clean holes and the 40 has helped me edge some steels, but it's sooo cheap! I use bare ass lead and get no fouling.

I've been running 3.1gr of Clays under some Zero 200gr for IDPA. They're loaded to 1.14" and chrono at 725 on average through my STI Edge. Never a ftf or fte and I still run the stock recoil spring. I actually had some loaded to 2.9gr of Clays at 1.135" that chrono at 690fps, real powder puff. Those ran flawlessly too but the slide seemed slow to me.

Matt