Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best magwell for xdm?

DrLove

I have the pistol gear magwell. It is not flush so in order to get any use you have to blend the frame in which makes the gun no longer legal for production. I have not seen/used the dawson but everything else I have with his name on it is better than the alternative so I assume the ice is the best on the market.

I use the Pistol Gear Patriot on my xdm 45

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This is what I use as well. It is much more streamlined than others yet still functions well. I prefer the smaller mag well.

I like the Dawson. I got mine a few weeks before the state match (decided to run the XDM I won last year) it really helped my reloads. The sharp edges of the mags hung up on the frame when I was pushing it a bit too much.

I have seen one of the other magwells (CC PG? Dont remember the brand) but I like Dawson's on my plastic guns.

• 3 weeks later...

I just mounted the Dawson this past weekend on my .40 5.25 and like the way it went on (and can come off) a lot. I already had Pistol Gear extensions and they would not allow the mag to latch as-is. I did a little carefull Dremeling and fitting on the mag well and now they work 100%. It was not much and mostly around the front. I had to get into both the insert and the metal base (just at the front) a little. Now that I have it working I need to smooth the marks a little but that should be no big deal. I did not want to mess with fitting each extension, and figure this way I can use most any extension. Also, since the insert is replaceable, I was not risking much hacking on it. I really like the feel of the magwell on the gun. It kind of cradles my hand and just adds something. I am looking forward to Limited with this gun! P.S., that is one reason I went with the .40 S&W 5.25 when I bought it. I enjoyed shooting .40 Minor in Production, can easily step into Limited (or Limited 10) with the same gun, and even move to Open if I choose to. Actually the other reason is my bedside gun is a .40 XDm (4.5) as is my car/CCW (3.8C), and my woods/belt holster gun (3.8), so I have lots of mags and guns that feel/shoot the same.

Edited by chevyoneton

"I just mounted the Dawson this past weekend on my .40 5.25 and like the way it went on (and can come off) a lot. "

"Also, since the insert is replaceable, I was not risking much hacking on it. I really like the feel of the magwell on the gun. It kind of cradles my hand and just adds something."

These three reasons are why I'm in favor of the Dawson ICE.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dawson ice on my xdm 40 with Dawson mag extensions. Extremely happy and I echo sentiments above about it improving my grip. My hand just registers better with it there. I really noticed the difference recently when shooting my brothers xdm 5.25 without the magwell.