Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Procedural Cover Call

S&W686

I competed in an IDPA sectioned match last weekend and received a procedural for cover. The cover call was not done by the Safety Officer, but was done by the score keeper. I am not the only competitor this happened to during the match. Is it legal for the score keeper in a match to make these calls?

Yes, in fact, its more appropriate for the score keeper to call procedurals in my mind because the primary SO should be primarily focused on the gun and such things,

Edited by Onagoth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"... I am not the only competitor this happened to during the match.

Is it legal for the score keeper in a match to make these calls ?"

My concern would be that the shooter was given the opportunity to correct his error before

the penalty was given ? Did the "SK" verbally call "Cover !" ? Or did you find out about it

only after your run ?

I think you will find that "COVER!" is a "courtesy call", you are not by rule entitled to be warned or to be given an opportunity to correct your position.

On Saturday I saw a shooter muttering to himself because he got a PE when the sequence was "step, step, step...COVERBANG," He shot immediately on the heels of the call with no time to back up into the covered position. Tough.

My concern would be that the shooter was given the opportunity to correct his error before

the penalty was given ? Did the "SK" verbally call "Cover !" ? Or did you find out about it

only after your run ?

A fault line would for ever eliminate this on going cover call.

It has always been a major problem in IDPA.

How many times have we all seen a big time shooter go fast enough that a SO does not know if they used cover or not.

Go slow Joe blow does the same as big time but gets the procedural for cover.

Leaving cover calls up to SO's will always be up to their personal interpretation.

Enough!!

• 3 months later...

only after your run ?

How many times have we all seen a big time shooter go fast enough that a SO does not know if they used cover or not.

Leaving cover calls up to SO's will always be up to their personal interpretation.

Enough!!

Problem with a fault line would be cover is different for each person. i am 6'6" and can lean WAAAAAAAYYYYYY around a corner compared to my competitor who is say 5'3". Im in favor of a fault line because it would give me an advantage when shooting around corners for that last target.

only after your run ?

Enough!!

Problem with a fault line would be cover is different for each person. i am 6'6" and can lean WAAAAAAAYYYYYY around a corner compared to my competitor who is say 5'3". Im in favor of a fault line because it would give me an advantage when shooting around corners for that last target.

The cover line ( fault line ) is the same for everyone. It is a straight line from the center of the target in question to edge of cover and extending indefinatley. 100% of your lower body must be inside this line. That doesn't mean that certain body builds could make this harder or easier.

The problem is that from a cover position there are usually multiple targets, so each target would need a separate line.