Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

should I buy a used dillon?

Ive been looking at dillon presses for a while now, when one of my co-workers said he had a 550 for sale. $400.00 for the press, 5 sets of dies, the conversion kits, and various other parts. I haven't looked at the press yet, I was wondering if anyone had advise here. I know you can't tell me if it's a good deal, because im not sure yet exactly what all the spare parts are. Is there anything I should look for in buying a used press, or could this be trouble and I should buy a new one. Thanks..

Absolutely true! You can buy an old Dillon press (other than 1050) from a garage sale that has been run over by a truck and send it back to them and they will repair/replace it for you.

Hands down THE best warranty in the business.

Dillon reloading presses do not loose much value over time due to this fact.

I have had a SDB for the past 15 years and have put tens of thousands of rounds through it. Great products. Great service. I'd buy another Dillon in a minute.

Do a search of the forums. This has been discussed in great detail.

If its in good repair and you think that it will do what you want it sounds like a good deal. Dillon stuff is well made so if someone takes care of it it will last. Yes it would be guaranteed for life from what I have heard; so even if something was broken you could get it repaired for free B) (I would try to get a better price though)

Adam

Go with a Dillon, but decide what you want. If you are going to reload multiple calibers, then factor that into your decision. A couple of issues ago, Dillon Blue Press had a summary of all of their presses and which one to choose based on your needs.

The folks at Dillon are the best at customer service. They really know their presses firsthand, and are eager to help.

Chad,

If it is in working condition it is a great deal. If you order a new one from Brian, at a discount, you are going to pay $349 for the press and $54.95 for one set of dies. Do the math. However, if you decide to move up and get a 1050 down the road, you will still have the 550 to load the all the other calibers.

5 sets of dies are only useful if you intend on using all 5 sets. If you're only going to use one caliber, you're just buying stuff to sit in a box. They don't seem to hold their value as a used product. Buyers appreciate used dies more than the sellers.

• 7 years later...

Used is quiet alright with me because,Dillon will warranty or replace any defective parts,no matter if your the first buyer or the 14th buyer.also if it falls off a truck and breaks,theyll replace it.it doesnt matter how its broken, or whos fault it is,theyll warranty it.The folks here on Brian enos,however has some of the best customer service that i have ever encountered.

I bought a gently used 550b several years ago with literally all the extras. A guy was simply going a different way and sold everything he had. Too much to list really. I sold extra dies, caliber conversions, powder dispensers, tool holders and bullets, electronic scale and recouped 90% of the price. Kept everything for 9mm and .223 then bought my .308 stuff. Great customer service from Dillon for sure that got me started. Nice thing also is just about anything Dillon sells very quickly on online auction services. It was an outstanding deal ....

Look at the set-up carefully, download an owners manual if possible and give the unit a good once over before you buy. My bet is you'll do well.

Scott

Ive been looking at dillon presses for a while now, when one of my co-workers said he had a 550 for sale. $400.00 for the press, 5 sets of dies, the conversion kits, and various other parts. I haven't looked at the press yet, I was wondering if anyone had advise here. I know you can't tell me if it's a good deal, because im not sure yet exactly what all the spare parts are. Is there anything I should look for in buying a used press, or could this be trouble and I should buy a new one. Thanks..

I won't even give your buddy time to think....follow him home and snatch it before he changes his mind...I just got a 2 yr old/ 5k rounds for $300 w/1 conversion kit....its almost bnew...my buddy is upgrading to a 650 with a case feeder....

Edited by fishpinoy27

5 sets of dies are only useful if you intend on using all 5 sets. If you're only going to use one caliber, you're just buying stuff to sit in a box. They don't seem to hold their value as a used product. Buyers appreciate used dies more than the sellers.

What is up with reviving the old threads? It seems like several all at once?

Edited by joey_safety

You can buy an old Dillon press (other than 1050) from a garage sale that has been run over by a truck and send it back to them and they will repair/replace it for you.

Except for a really, really old model like the RL1000 (Dillon no longer stocks parts for this model).

• 2 weeks later...

What is up with reviving the old threads? It seems like several all at once?

People are actually USING the search feature?