Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open 40 cost?

WidowsSon683

Im wondering how much more expensive it would be to have an open gun built in 40s&w than in 38/9. I know it would probably be more just because nobody really makes them and it would be FULLY custom. I just prefer 40 cal and not that big a fan of the velocities you have to achieve with 38/9.

I don't see where the cost would be any different. The only difference between a Limited 40 Gun and an Open 40 Gun is the barrel, comp, and CMore. How well it will work might be more significant, as you work up loads to make Major and work the comp properly. But its not something no one has done before. You might have issues finding 170mm magazines and you will always be a few rounds short for everyone else.

Anyone think there might be a problem with 40 brass? I thought that 9 and 45 brass was significantly stronger than the 40 brass. (I read that on the internet somewhere so it must be true)

He would certainly have more room for powder and it would probably be easier to get the comp working with the extra room in the brass over 9.

Anyone think there might be a problem with 40 brass? I thought that 9 and 45 brass was significantly stronger than the 40 brass. (I read that on the internet somewhere so it must be true)

He would certainly have more room for powder and it would probably be easier to get the comp working with the extra room in the brass over 9.

I do not discriminate .40 brass types and I have not seen any issues in .40 open major for the last 8 years. But, I do not recover brass all that often.

Heavier bullets would mean slower speeds which means you are probably not using enough powder/gas to work the comp (and you are also dealing with greater torque on the .40). It's all a delicate balance. I know guys get the 135 gr bullets and push them to 170 PF and turn out decently. However, most settle on 155 and that means it's only going about 1100 fps to make 170. Getting it to balance with enough gas and slow powder is a little tougher. I mean, it's not bad, I have shot a few .40 Open guns but I didn't like the sluggish feel and muzzle rise as compared to my 9Major. It's all relative to what makes you (the OP) comfortable and happy so that's the main requirement.

.40 SW is a relatively new cartridge design, at least compared to .38 Super, 9mm, or .45 ACP, so I'm sure there's plenty of strength in the case. As gng4life states, a .40 open gun in never going to feel or shoot like a 9/38 open gun. But probably the biggest downside to this idea is going to be resale value if you ever want to part with it. The market for used .40 cal open guns is pretty much zero.

Kinda like putting oversized mud/swamp tires on a Ferrari.

What's wrong with that? :D

Seriously though, I ran a Glock 22 as an Open gun for the first 6 months I shot Open. Managed to make B class with it. At the time, it was the cheapest way for me to get into shooting Open.

The 9mm and 38super really are not that difficult to make major with and isn't near as scary as people try and make it out to be. Your also giving up a lot on capacity with the 40 and like was said resale value is way less than with a 9/38

I shoot a para-framed .40 with a 5" Kart barrel and a big EGW comp. I use a 135 grain bullet. I compared it to a friend's 9mm gun with the same comp shooing 121's and in my opinion, the .40 is just slightly softer than the 9 without feeling sluggish. He has a sidemore and I use a Deltapoint so the sights are not exactly the same but I did not notice any large difference in dot dynamics. In all, I saw no strong reason to drop another $4k to change to a 9.

I think it makes sense to run 40 open (disclaimer, I don't shoot it at all but I'm working on an open gun). If you already load 40, have the components and some mags, it would be pretty cheap to get into it. Just slap a dot, barrel, and comp. Not free, but certainly cheaper than starting from scratch. If you look around, 40 brass and bullets seem to be easier to find and same price as 9 or so.

will be following this thread! already have the 170s, just need to grab somebody's extra slide and barrel and then a dot....

shouldn't be a big deal if the recoil isn't ideal, right?

If you don't care how flat it shoots, why bother with a comp? you could just put a dot on your Limited gun and shoot it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm serious: loads designed for a non-comp'd pistol will likely jump just as much with or without the comp. I've never tried it with .40, but I have shot factory 9mm though my Open gun with and without the comp and I can't tell the difference.

I hear ya, and I'm not trying to be a jerk either. I'm just dumb, ask anyone.

My thought is that a comp will help, as it has to direct gas up before the bullet comes out, even if the load isn't tuned for the load. So while it won't be "ideal", it would still be better than no comp.

I've never really run open before. I had an open 22 but didn't put much time behind it. Blasted a few rounds of a buddy's open 9, but the sound and blast was distracting. My thought is to take a 9mm glock 17 i got from GSSF, slap a red dot on it, maybe eventually a barrel and comp (but not to start), and then shoot the heck out of it with 9 minor to see if it's fun. I see it being a good option for a Slide ride optic for the gf to shoot in matches or for HD (less aiming to worry about?)

If I had an extra 40 slide or barrel, I would totally try this with my limited gun. But with the glock, I can shoot it in GSSF. the grip angle is weird so I know to hold it differently, so I will get used to bringing the dot up. And since I shoot 45 major and 40 major all the time, 9 minor already feels like a 22 to me.

I guess we'll see how it goes! Anyone want to donate an old 40 2011 upper for a mad-scientist type experiment?

My thought is that a comp will help, as it has to direct gas up before the bullet comes out, even if the load isn't tuned for the load. So while it won't be "ideal", it would still be better than no comp.

I had the same thought once, but my experience proved otherwise; there are some comp which had an effect, others none whatsoever (I've tried seven of them on three different pistols).

Edited by kneelingatlas