Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roller cam

I didn't say that, I would certainly make one before buying one.

However, it would take me longer to go to the post office to mail the thing than it would take to modify it. Not to mention most machine shops would just scare you away with a minimum charge for just one of anything.

I was just saying Pat is being fair even though it seems expensive at first glance.

• 3 months later...

I bought a roll of UHMW tape from McMaster Carr. Cut a piece the width and length of the ramp, cleaned it good with alcohol and stuck the tape on. Glides better than grease! Noticably smoother. I use the tape for lots of stuff. It's slicker than owl snot and tough. Comes in three thicknesses. I think mine is .0065 but not sure, not real important. 5 yard spool of 1" wide is only 6.00. Part number is 76445A743. Works great for anything that slides. Drawers, etc.

• 1 month later...

I made a roller cam last week for my 650. Smoothed out the press. Cost was $2.00. I love my Bridgeport!

Pat

That's $2.00 off cost of mill.right ?

No, the difference between my cost and the $40.00 plus shipping for the Ebay item. 15 minute job.

Pat

I took a 1 1/4" Keo keyway cutter and ground it to .163" width to accomodate a 3mm x 10mm x 4mm sealed roller bearing. Purchased a 3mm carbide drill, and 41L40 leaded screw stock... a Geometric die head, a couple other things... 3 mm x 10 mm roll pin from Grainger. ( Perfect!!! )

But if you get that side clearance reasonable, you will be fine.

My prototype was with a 1/2" bearing... it worked great. I just wanted to put a bit of professionalism on that, as it looked a bit goofy.

The other important thing is turning down your stock to .365" to 3/4" past the last trace of thread. 3% ( + - ) of the XL 650's have an underbored clearance hole.

I know not why.

It was a bugger putting them roll pins in until I made a press to do it. They are little, and un-co-operative. And I am old and blind. And cranky.

The biggest thing is the spring. I had some made up. But whack 1/2 gap out of factory, and you will not believe the results.

Edited by snowshooze

I made a roller cam last week for my 650. Smoothed out the press. Cost was $2.00. I love my Bridgeport!

Pat

Cool Pat!

I am the manufacturer of the item, and I was kicking dirt on you just for fun. It's totally cool.

I just got my CNC mill in, and was wondering what you had. I got more stuff, and I don't know if it will survive the cost of jobbing it out.

I need precision surface grinding on jigged parts.

Thanks,

Mark

Hope everyone appreciates just what Mark is doing. It takes much more than just buying a small bearing to make this available for sale. There is time, effort and machinery involved and they all cost money....

If you add in your own time its gonna be way cheaper to buy the ready made part than to do it yourself. And in the long run consider how much use you will get out of it.

As for the UHMW tape long term durability depends on the surface area and how much pressure is at the contact surface. A large flat surface may never wear out and a small point will wear fairly quickly. (I fabricate components at work with a lot of UHMW but more for its toughness and water resistance than as a bearing/slippery surface). Be interesting to hear from someone about long term use of the tape.

Hope everyone appreciates just what Mark is doing. It takes much more than just buying a small bearing to make this available for sale. There is time, effort and machinery involved and they all cost money....

If you add in your own time its gonna be way cheaper to buy the ready made part than to do it yourself. And in the long run consider how much use you will get out of it.

Good advice TonyK!

Be great if we all had the chance to watch a machinist in action; would greatly increase our knowledge of what it takes to produce something that "appears" to be so simple....

:cheers:

what did they do? just mill out the end and put a bearing in?

Pretty much.

It's held in with a press-fit pin.

If you have one, can you give the OD and width of the bearing, along with an approximation on the pin diameter?

M 10, x 3 x 4 and a M3 roll pin 10MM long. Slot width seems good at .164"

I like the tape idea.

Also, does anyone believe that there could be any benefits gained by using the UHMW tape at the index ring location and also for the primer cam?

I put it on both those also. I love the tape. Use it for lots of things. Drawer slides, etc. Anything that rubs something. I also made my own bullet feeder and case feeder. Put a few squares of tape under the shell/bullet plates. The reduced drag allowed me to add more cases/bullets without loading down the motor.

As for the UHMW tape long term durability depends on the surface area and how much pressure is at the contact surface. A large flat surface may never wear out and a small point will wear fairly quickly. (I fabricate components at work with a lot of UHMW but more for its toughness and water resistance than as a bearing/slippery surface). Be interesting to hear from someone about long term use of the tape.

I have about 5000 rounds through my press since I put it on. It wears really well. I just took my press apart and cleaned and realigned the platform. Replaced the tape while I was at it. It's cheap and lasts a long time. If I had put it on 15 years ago when I got it I'd have a lot less wear on those plastic parts.

i bought the roller cam and phenolic ball and spring from snowshooze and mounted it on sunday.

the smoothest xl 650 i have ever used!

the 5 rounds i loaded before i made a 9mm NO-rim-at-all case stuck in sizedie was really amazingly smooth.

will recommend this kit to all my friends that do any reloading on a 650

thank you sir, i gave you top e.bay ratings

(and the letter unfortunally slipped through customs ;-)

Does the roller cam inhibit the adjustability of that rod? I have a new 650 so I'm still figuring things out, and I just read in the manual that you need to adjust rod height when you change calibers. From what I'm seeing the roller bearing can only be adjusted in 180 increments (keeping the bearing OD in good square contact to the ramp). Does that matter? is that adjustment height just not that critical? I really like the idea of the roller cam...steel rubbing on greased plastic seems, so, not premium.

One drawback we've already seen with the roller/rod is on an XL650 that came to us for repair. The operator had the roller oriented sideways, so it didn't roll. Instead it scooped a groove in the ramp. We don't think the operator understood how a roller worked.

One drawback we've already seen with the roller/rod is on an XL650 that came to us for repair. The operator had the roller oriented sideways, so it didn't roll. Instead it scooped a groove in the ramp. We don't think the operator understood how a roller worked.

This person shouldn't be reloading...

Man, that's an understatement!

Agree with RDA, that person should re-think reloading.

:surprise:

Does the roller cam inhibit the adjustability of that rod? I have a new 650 so I'm still figuring things out, and I just read in the manual that you need to adjust rod height when you change calibers. From what I'm seeing the roller bearing can only be adjusted in 180 increments (keeping the bearing OD in good square contact to the ramp). Does that matter? is that adjustment height just not that critical? I really like the idea of the roller cam...steel rubbing on greased plastic seems, so, not premium.

Well, as it is a 24 threads per inch, and a minimum adjustment of one half turn, yeah. But, that equates to .020" which for all intended purposes can be overlooked.

So, practically speaking, no. The Dillon stock follower really isn't too bad.

But honestly, as much as I would like to sell you one, I always recommend you just start out with what you get.

You just bought a new beast. Yer gonna have to tame it, and get used to it.

And I guarantee you will have your hands full for a while doing that, and it won't always be pretty.

I mean a sale is welcome, but you are going to be busy a while.

A couple degrees this way or that... the bearing can slip on a tangent just fine. It is a lot slicker than the factory rod if you want to talk co-efficent of friction.

( I'd rather play dumb )

Don't fret. I am not pulling the offer anytime soon.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Mark

Hm.

Edited by snowshooze

I just took my OEM caming pin and made it a roller for the sole purpose of one less grease spot to collect dust and powder. The OEM pin worked just fine and I can not tell the resistive difference in the handle stroke. What I do notice is the transition of the bearing to shaft contact at the slip off point of the slide cam block. It is very minimal but can be felt ever so slightly. Not as smoth as the OE pin at that point as the diameter of the rod and taper point is fluid. It is however nice not having grease on the block though and a well worth having modification.