Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Happened to Brass

Reloading 9mm last night on my 650 and a couple of brass came out of sizing die like this. Any ideas why? Poor picture but the brss is heavily bulged at the bottom. Went far enough into die to push out primer.

post-42956-0-27754300-1374892933_thumb.j

post-42956-0-09907800-1374892956_thumb.j

Couple of things. They were probably just over expanded when fired for some reason and you'll get a small ring every once in awhile. These look like they were ran through the press dry. Are you lubing the brass? The press runs much smoother and you will get a lot less of this brass deformation if things are lubed up. I love one shot on my 650 set up in 9mm.

Couple of things. They were probably just over expanded when fired for some reason and you'll get a small ring every once in awhile. These look like they were ran through the press dry. Are you lubing the brass? The press runs much smoother and you will get a lot less of this brass deformation if things are lubed up. I love one shot on my 650 set up in 9mm.

No I am not lubing brass, I did have that thought. I did not lube my pistol brass until I started loading 44 mag and 45 colt on my 550. Do you spray on lube in a tub before loading the case feeder?

Put the brass in a small 10 X 15 box, or something similar. Spray it with One Shot, and shake it. This work fine for me. Some people use

a baggie with One Shot, then put the brass in it and shake. YMMV

Put the brass in a small 10 X 15 box, or something similar. Spray it with One Shot, and shake it.

Same here AT. I used to use a baggie but switched to one of those 99 cent plastic shoe boxes from HD/Lowe's.

Drop about 100-200 in the box and just spray a little one shot in there and shake/swirl the box around and dump in the case feeder.

Part of the reason I went to a box was because I was getting a lot of fine corn cob media in the feeder and tube. I put a small compressor in my loading room so I can blow the brass clean one more time after lubing and before dumping in the CF

Ive never personally seen this but I haven't reloaded that long (December).

A buddy did tell me about One Shot....love that stuff...I don't tumble my brass since I live in an apartment. I usually dump 500 cases into a pot of water ive brought to NEARLY a boil, and dish soap, agitate, rinse, dry...when its time to load I drop a 100 in a empy box (Xtreme 500 ct box), hit it with One Shot, shake...and load. Its easly taken 30% of the effort off of resizing...it just glides. I can only imagine how well itd work with tumbled brass.

I make my own lube. 10% pure lanolin 90% pure isopropyl alcohol. Dump about 200 to 300 in a shallow cardboard box with the seams taped. Push them all down flat on their sides so spray does not get in the mouth of the casings spray very very lightly then shake and pan. I have been using the same box for about 2 years so it has a nice patina to it. stopped buying lube a long time ago. I buy a gallon of alcohol and 2 pounds of lanolin on amazon. the lanolin is sold as a hair gel in the beauty section for about $8 a pound. the alcohol in the industrial section for about $50 a gallon.

+1 on the One Shot. Just try not to spray it inside the cases...although they say it won't interact with powder.

That's why I prefer a rectangular cake pan over a bag. Pour the cases in the pan, knock over the standing ones, spray, shake pan to get cases to roll, spray again. Way more efficient than the bag thing IMO.

+1 on the One Shot. Just try not to spray it inside the cases...although they say it won't interact with powder.

That's why I prefer a rectangular cake pan over a bag. Pour the cases in the pan, knock over the standing ones, spray, shake pan to get cases to roll, spray again. Way more efficient than the bag thing IMO.

No way it's more efficient. You spray the inside of the bag, dump 100's of cases in, zip bag shut and shake for a few seconds, then load.

Are you using a U-die? I've found the U-die will leave the ring more often on bulged cases than a regular die. I softened the U-die lead in a little and that helped.

Another +1 here for using a little Hornady One Shot for pistol, I use the lanolin/alcohol mix for rifle but remove it after sizing. One shot I don't remove and it isn't a dirt magnet.

Here is a similar thread, mainly about .38 super but I've found the same thing when loading 9mm.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169883&hl=hard+ring#entry1882637

I clean my brass in a Thumblers Tumbler with stainless steel pins.. after cleaning I put the brass in a box and spray with Hornady One Shot .. then let them DRY for about 15 minutes.. then dump into my bullet feeder..

One shot will not hurt anything to get inside a case. I don't go to the trouble of laying everything down flat or letting it dry for any extended period of time. The lube will transfer to the dies somewhat anyway so not every case has to be thoroughly coated with it. Also. a little in the case mouth probably helps with sticking to the funnel that some of us have.

Could have been 9mm major brass fired from an AET barrel. I had a few likw this from my AET barrel, depended on the brand of brass.

Neal in AZ

My AET did it as well (minor), but not near as bad as the one's pictured.

I make my own lube. 10% pure lanolin 90% pure isopropyl alcohol. Dump about 200 to 300 in a shallow cardboard box with the seams taped. Push them all down flat on their sides so spray does not get in the mouth of the casings spray very very lightly then shake and pan. I have been using the same box for about 2 years so it has a nice patina to it. stopped buying lube a long time ago. I buy a gallon of alcohol and 2 pounds of lanolin on amazon. the lanolin is sold as a hair gel in the beauty section for about $8 a pound. the alcohol in the industrial section for about $50 a gallon.

Good call, I'm going to start doing this! What do you put it in to spray?

1. +1 to the thoughts on lubing 9mm brass

2. +1 on using Grumpy's lubing technique in the bag.

3. It might be just me or my monitor, but one of those cases looks like a super/supercomp case.

Edited by kevin c

I've been reloading for 10+ years and just recently started lubeing my pistol brass I just spray shake and go but I use the Dillon lube since its a little cheaper. I'll never load another pistol round that's not lubricated. Also getting it inside the case makes no difference don't wory about getting it inside the case .

• 5 weeks later...

I started using One Snot on pistol brass and noticed a big difference in effort and smoothness. I originally bought it for rifle brass sizing but almost immediately got a stuck case. So did my bro-in-law. Went to Dillon lube for rifle and figured i would just use the One Snot for pistol only. Got a decent size plastic tub from the .99 cent store and just hit the pistol cases with a very light dusting of the One Snot...works great.

There is a reason why the nickname "One Stuck" came about when using it on bottleneck cases!!!!

DCL for rifle

One Snot for pistol