Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les trs or Springfield trp ?

Rockets

I've been very pleased with my TRP. Short rail on dust cover, bull barrel, black coating. It's been flawless with good mags. Kinda hefty, but that helps with stiff loads. Think this will come down to preference. LB puts out nice stuff too.

Les baer. I took a chance and bought a beat up Concept 5 with no box or papers on Buds for a steal. Turns out it was just carried, so marked up but shoots like a dream. It's been 2 years of shooting it in SS and steel matches, and I still have to break out the bushing wrench.

First time picked it up, every round in the mag went through a hole about 0.50 inches around. The only problem is now I can't blame the gun for Mikes :/

I have heard that there is such a thing as a Les Baer that runs, but I have never seen one. I actually like many of the people who have told me theirs runs, and so in the interest of not calling them a liar, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that someday, somewhere, I'll see a Les Baer make it through a match without stopping. Until then, I won't own one or recommend that anyone buy one of his guns.

The TRP is a bit expensive but it has a great list of features. If I could only have one mass-produced 1911, I would probably have a Springfield TRP.

And this is coming from a guy who most often can be seen with a Kimber or STI.

Les Baer has his fanboys, but as far as I'm concerned, his guns are not ready for the big time. I'm sure they'd be great in some sport that has alibis or something, but for USPSA, they are best left at home.

Wilson, on the other hand, makes some nice custom guns that actually run. If I was forced to pick a big name custom gunsmith, I would probably pick a Wilson or Nighthawk.

Edited by twodownzero

The TRP will have a better finish but My Baers were superior in every other way

Great info. Les it is... Worth while getting the hard chrome for an extra 300 ?

Wilson, on the other hand, makes some nice custom guns that actually run. If I was forced to pick a big name custom gunsmith, I would probably pick a Wilson or Nighthawk.

i did try a Wilson... It's on ballbearings I think :devil: All of that for 4 large....... :surprise: The trigger on that is pretty sick....

It sure is pretty...

:blink:

wilson%20rdp.jpg

Edited by Rockets

I didn't know Wilson or Nighthawk were options he was looking at?

Same here... I have some nice Wilson's!

If you haven't seen a Bare run an entire USPSA match, come to Indiana and you can use mine. It ran just fine without any failures when I was shooting single stack. I do have to admit it would be better with a larger magwell and fiber optic sights but those have nothing to do with it's performance.

I have heard that there is such a thing as a Les Baer that runs, but I have never seen one. I actually like many of the people who have told me theirs runs, and so in the interest of not calling them a liar, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming that someday, somewhere, I'll see a Les Baer make it through a match without stopping. Until then, I won't own one or recommend that anyone buy one of his guns.

The TRP is a bit expensive but it has a great list of features. If I could only have one mass-produced 1911, I would probably have a Springfield TRP.

And this is coming from a guy who most often can be seen with a Kimber or STI.

Les Baer has his fanboys, but as far as I'm concerned, his guns are not ready for the big time. I'm sure they'd be great in some sport that has alibis or something, but for USPSA, they are best left at home.

I know a guy that shoots Baers very well. He was pretty active at major matches in 2011-2012. Those years he had a top 5 and a top 10 at Area 5. In six sectionals he had four podiums-including two wins-and two top 10's. I know it's the Indian, not the arrow, but his arrows must have worked without an alibi. Personally my PII has had one failure to return to battery, but that was inside the first 250 rounds.

I've seen 1911s from $500 to $5000+ crap out at matches. The only two that I've never seen fail were Les Baer PII's and a Springfield TRP. The TRP did have an odd quirk though. Sometimes after cleaning and reassembly, the guns point of impact would drop significantly. The owner would just disassemble and reassemble the gun and the problem would be solved. Most bizarre thing I ever saw.

My only complaint about my PII is that the bluing is very thin. If I had it to do over again, I'd have sprung for the DuPont S coating.

I didn't know Wilson or Nighthawk were options he was looking at?

Same here... I have some nice Wilson's!

If you haven't seen a Bare run an entire USPSA match, come to Indiana and you can use mine. It ran just fine without any failures when I was shooting single stack. I do have to admit it would be better with a larger magwell and fiber optic sights but those have nothing to do with it's performance.

I staffed two majors in Indiana in the last 3 years, so I would have thought I'd notice if I saw a Baer that actually ran! If yours does, that's great. I have honestly been looking out there to see if one can make it through a match without jamming.

My view on just about any gun is that if it runs for a whole magazine, it at least has the potential to run for a whole match. That said, I can honestly say that I've seen more Les Baers jam than any other high-end 1911. It may just be sample size or that they are seemingly more popular than some of the other high end guns, but that's just been my experience.

I even admit that one of my own guns decided to act up about 4 times on a single stage last year even though it has been quite reliable for a long time, so in some sense, I have no room to talk.

I don't claim to have a profound explanation as to why Baers don't seem to run, just that the ones I've seen don't seem to run very well. I actually very much like the appearance of his guns; the fine cocking serrations actually look very nice in my opinion.

I would not call it "lucky" if you have one that works, just pleasantly different from what I've seen. I haven't been to as many matches as I would like to make it to in the last few years, either.

Edited by twodownzero