Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breechface erosion STI Trubor

Warfarin

So I am loading 9mm major with Winchester with small magnum pistol primers, once fired brass. Autocomp 6.8 gr at 1.165 OAL I am ending up with some breech face erosion. I'm kinda at a loss of what I should do with it, it is brand new not even 1000 rounds through it. First 300 rounds didn't show any signs that was worrisome, but went all to heck with the next 500.

I am wondering should I just go down to minor with it? Try to throw in a 8 or 9 lb spring and hope factory ammo works? I am in Canada, so sending it to STI or asking them for help is moot.

Edited by Warfarin

I will try the small pistol primers out. It is really hard to track down powders in Canada, switching is difficult. I know the primer will flatten out with small pistol, but how much would be too much? Or should I also try increasing the OAL a little?

. Autocomp 6.8 gr at 1.165 OAL I am ending up with breech face erosion. not even 1000 rounds through it.

What velocity are you running, Warfarin? That sounds like a TREMENDOUS amount of

damage from a few hundred rounds of what is a pretty standard 9mm major load down here.

I've run tens of thousands of them thru my TruBor, and no problem whatsoever - can't believe

it's the primers, either - I've use primers made by blind orphans and no damage.

Something wrong here ...

Holy cow!!! That's some real bad damage you have there. I'm shooting a similar load through a new TruBor, but hotter, my load is 7.2grWAC / 124gr MG CMJ/ mixed brass / federal SPP / @1.170. I also have a similar round count through mine and it looks brand new, no erosion to speak of.

This isnt Benny Hill's first rodeo. Take his suggestion and find some different primers. Good chance that the ones ur currently using arent sealing properly. That leakage is what's causing the erosion. A different brand of primer may have a cup that seals better.

This isnt Benny Hill's first rodeo. Take his suggestion and find some different primers. Good chance that the ones ur currently using arent sealing properly. That leakage is what's causing the erosion. A different brand of primer may have a cup that seals better.

Benny isn'y suggesting going to a different primer, but going to a slower powder. I shoot the magnum primers in my Production loads with no problems, and in my Trubor with no problems. Thousands of rounds with no BFE. Personally, I'd like to see some fired brass from his gun to see what the primers look like....

Here is a pic of my breechface after about 400 rounds. No issues with erosion prior to using the old remington primers, hasn't gotten any worse since I stopped using them

So, which is it? In your first post you said Winchester magnum primers, now you're saying Remington primers....

Here is a pic of my breechface after about 400 rounds. No issues with erosion prior to using the old remington primers, hasn't gotten any worse since I stopped using them

So, which is it? In your first post you said Winchester magnum primers, now you're saying Remington primers....

you don't read so good

Edited by Supermoto

you don't read so good

my bad...thought it was the OP posting...

Edited by GrumpyOne

No, I read quite well....Read his first post....

Said by warfarin

" loading 9mm major with Winchester with small magnum pistol primers, once fired brass. Autocomp 6.8 gr at 1.165 OAL I am ending up with some breech face erosion. I'm kinda at a loss of what I should do with it, it is brand new not even 1000 rounds through it. First 300 rounds didn't show any signs that was worrisome, but went all to heck with the next 500."

Said by Supermoto

and then " No issues with erosion prior to using the old remington primers,"

Really, cause it seems like you are getting different posters confused

Edited by Supermoto

Said by warfarin

" loading 9mm major with Winchester with small magnum pistol primers, once fired brass. Autocomp 6.8 gr at 1.165 OAL I am ending up with some breech face erosion. I'm kinda at a loss of what I should do with it, it is brand new not even 1000 rounds through it. First 300 rounds didn't show any signs that was worrisome, but went all to heck with the next 500."

Said by Supermoto

Yep, that was the case....BTW, I read just fine...had no problem identifying that there was a difference in primers....but not identifying the difference in posters...Happens when posting from a phone

Edited by GrumpyOne

Said by warfarin

Said by Supermoto

Yep, that was the case....BTW, I read just fine...had no problem identifying that there was a difference in primers....but not identifying the difference in posters...Happens when posting from a phone

Sure whatever

Said by warfarin

Said by Supermoto

Sure whatever

Hey, getting any response from this rotary phone is doing good...