Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't laugh.....hypnosis

JJSJ

OK, I just have to ask, has anyone every tried hypnosis? I remember when I used to shoot competitive archery hearing a guy at a shoot talk about it. He was having trouble with target panic and jerking his shots, slamming his release instead of squeezing. I just wondered if anyone has every tried it to improve their game or overcome issues they're having. I've never taken hypnosis seriously but I know people use it for everything from weight loss to quitting smoking. What are your thoughts?

Jim

Good question.

The only time I have ever witnessed "hypnosis" is a stage comedy act. My friend did some crazy and NOT like her stuff, later claiming she was genuinely hypnotized.

Personally I am skeptical of it.

But hey, if I can drop some $ to have someone program my brain to call every shot I'm in!

My experience with it is like yours, I watched some friends supposedly hypnotized on stage. They all say they remembered nothing while they were up there. I guy in my squad at the bow shoot swore by it but I just wonder if it really did anything for him or if he just thought it did. I guess either way it worked for him.

John Pride had a shooting related hypnosis tape years ago. I talked to him about it at Bianchi, he said it works. It would be something fun to try.

I wonder how many tapes (cd's) are out there like that. Guess I need to hit Google up.

Scary...hypnosis, firearms and speed just does not sound like a good mixture to me. We don't let people drive or shoot drunk (I know different) even though some have proven to have better skills with a little chemically induced relaxation.

I wonder if I could get a combo cd, one that would help me with my ice cream and pizza addiction also. Seriously though, I think it might be worth a look.

I was taught some basic hypnosis technique in medical school. It does work for some folks for some problems (my roommate said it helped a lot for pain management when he had to have some significant jaw surgery).

Some of the very basics of what I was taught (and this was a LONG time ago):

You can't be hypnotized against your will.

You really can't be forced to do things that you don't want to.

Some folks aren't hypnotisable (at least not by others). That may be an issue of relinquishing control/self control.

There may be a lot of overlap of self hypnotism/suggestion with meditation and visualization techniques.

So it is a real phenomenon, though it has always been hard to quantify technique/effectiveness wise as far as the hard science of it goes. But if it works for some, it just might work for you. It might be worth considering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was a very, very, hard core smoker (3 packs/day) in 1977. A one on one session with a hypnotist and I haven't had a smoke since. I was awake and aware the whole time. He suggested that if I choose to stop smoking, I would not suffer withdraw.

IT WORKED.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a very, very, hard core smoker (3 packs/day) in 1977. A one on one session with a hypnotist and I haven't had a smoke since. I was awake and aware the whole time. He suggested that if I choose to stop smoking, I would not suffer withdraw.

IT WORKED.

I have been thinking about that myself! Help me quit smoking, lose weight, and shoot all Alpha's and give Ben a run for his money ..... Hmmmmmm

I wonder if they change by the 'task' or if I can get a package deal! LOL

As a counterpoint: For me, part of the joy of competing is improving "me", my conscious mind, my own determined abilities. If I use hypnosis to achieve something I can't do without it, isn't that kind of like blood doping? Perhaps I don't know enough about what it accomplishes or what the goal is, but my initial impression is that the goal I'd be chasing via hypnosis is not why I do this sport.

My 0.02.

Kcobean, its not hypnosis, its subliminal relaxation methods hidden within the messages on the tape. On the starting line you use a 'trigger' (not the one on your gun) to get you into a state of relaxation, say count backwards from 5. Then you make ready etc. This method was popular the 1960-1970 time frame in professional sports. The Dallas Cowboys used similar relaxation from studies done by the Univ. of Dallas or some such organization. Joe Namath used to get to the stadium 1-2 hours before the game and sit on the sidelines looking at the field. He wasn't studying plays but using a relaxation technique and it was reported that his 'trigger' was 'Ball'. I used tapes made by one of those organizations when I raced and it worked very well. How well it will work in USPSA I intend to find out. Joe...

• 3 weeks later...

As a counterpoint: For me, part of the joy of competing is improving "me", my conscious mind, my own determined abilities. If I use hypnosis to achieve something I can't do without it, isn't that kind of like blood doping? Perhaps I don't know enough about what it accomplishes or what the goal is, but my initial impression is that the goal I'd be chasing via hypnosis is not why I do this sport.

My 0.02.

Shooting at its highest form is a subconscious act. You can be a spectator of your own shooting. It takes conscious practice at first and a lot of repetition, but in time it can be a totally subconscious act. Almost anyone is capable if they are willing to put in the time. The conscious mind can not do anything as quickly as the subconscious mind.

• 8 months later...

Didn't work out to well for me, I asked to be hypnotized into thinking I was Taran Butler and ended up walking like a chicken and pecking at brass on the ground. :) :) :)

But seriously....It couldn't hurt. Let us know how it works.

Edited by bowenbuilt