Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best all around powder for 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP?

Crtsharris

What would be your recommendation for the best all around pistol powder for 9mm, 40 and 45? I've been thinking of Hogden Universal Clay, but would like some more input from you knowledgable folks. Thanks, Curtis

Curtis,

Kind of depends on where you live. Temperature plays a part in one powder for all three.

This topic has been discussed on the BE Forum. But, not sure what the overall opinion was.

Ron

I live in Texas so I don't have to worry about the cold temps. I'm using Unique and WST right now and both are doing well, but would like a powder that is more flexible to cover all three calibers.

Edited by Crtsharris

I've read a lot of good things about 231. Quick question, why N320 and not N340? I see a lot of entries for 340 in reloading manuals and user recipes. Forgot to mention that I'm a reloader newby, so thanks for your patience.

If you want major and minor in a variety of platforms, WSF would be my choice. Clays if minor is all you are after. 231 is too dirty for me and N320 is too fast for me in major unless loaded long.

231 works fine in 9mm and 45. Universal works fine in 40 and ok in the others.

I don't think 231 is too dirty esp at the high end of pressure. Universal is dirty unless you burn at higher end of pressure.

Did I mention that I like 231 for minor PF loads?

N320 will do those calibers just fine. WST will work well for the major loads. But you are going to suffer a little on the 9mm minor loads. Haven't played with WSF much yet.

N340 is ok in 9mm but not very good for the 40 45.

YMMV.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Solo 1000 yet.

In fact, 4.8 gr of Solo 1000 is a "magical" charge -

with a 230 grain MG JHP 45 cal., it makes 176 pf in my trojan;

with a 200 grain MG CMJ 40 cal., it makes 170 pf in my 6" eagle;

with a 124 graim MG JHP 9mm, it makes 135 pf in my 5" eagle.

For 9mm, however, I usually use a lighter load with a 147 grain MG CMJ.

I tried N320, but didn't find that it shoots any better or is materially cleaner. It does, however, meter a little better in the 650.

Also, Solo 1000 has to be checked every time the lot changes. I usually buy 16 pound of the same lot, though, so it's not that much trouble.

After experimenting with a bunch of different powders for various calibers and guns, I now use Solo 1000 for all non-compensated pistols, and Autocomp for the compensated pistols.

Edited by austex

I always keep universal clays, Zip and or 231 on hand at all times I can make general purpos blasting ammo easily with these powders in most calibers with most bullets. That being said on hotter 40 S&W powder is more sensitive to keep from getting too high of pressures. So it kind of depends on how fast you need the bullets to go if you are worried about power factors.

N320=Unobtanium

And I saw that none of the Hodgen Clays line will be available until early 2014 due to a fire at their plant. It's looking like N320 or W231 if I can find it.

http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php/7385-Fire-at-Hodgen-powder-plant

There wasn't a fire, so probably some other reason.

I was just going off of what was said on this site when looking for some Universal. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Shotgun_Pistol/products/291/

They could be wrong and I hope so because they need to make more powder!!

Thanks for everyones input and help! The only powder I can find right now is WST at Powder Valley. I might have to get 8lbs or so to hold me over and then jump on some of ya'lls recommendations as they become available. I've used WST in 45ACP and 40S&W, seems to work well. The 45's seem to have less kick then my 9mm Glock 34!!

Take care fella's and thanks again,

Curtis Harris

To get a real answer to any question you need all the details. In this thread the type of bullet would have helped.

About WST vs N320. WST works really well with moly bullets in 9, 40, and 45 and in fact like the Magic of Solo 1000, WST has some magic of its own. Set the powder measure at 4.7gr for 45 with 200gr Moly, 40 with 185gr moly, and 9 mm 124/5gr CMJ/RN or JHP.

I'm in TX as well and so far no matter the heat 113 for example it makes Power Factor.

The 9 mm jacketed isn't as soft shooting as the N320, but acceptable in my opinion.

WST is like the pretty twin to 231.

As MarkCo says WSF will work with all of them, and it will even do 9 major as well, I have not used it much, personally.

In these times thou you have to use what you can get. I have a supply of what I can get, and if the good stuff runs out I will use it but I hope that the frenzie will abate before that.