Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best all around powder for 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP?

Crtsharris

Around 3 decades ago I loaded 9mm, 38/357 and 45 (40 didn't exist back then but with the right bullet it would have worked too) all with 4.5g of 231. That's pretty versatile and I didn't have to adjust the powder measure for anything.

That said, I don't use it for anything these days.

You can find loads for Unique, Bullseye, Titegroup and Power Pistol for all three calibers. I know that with some experimentation, any of these can be pretty accurate in 9mm or 40SW. You'll have to ask others for accuracy in 45ACP.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll throw in another vote for 231. I've found the same thing as several of you have mentioned here-231 burns much cleaner when the pressures are on the higher end. I've been using 231/HP38 for about 25 years now, and both will do just about anything the newer stuff will, and they're much easier to find than N320, cheaper too.

Just my .02

Smitty

• 2 months later...

I am pretty happy with Titegroup... But I also have an 8 lb keg to work with.

I think right now, the best powder is the ONE YOU CAN FIND. There are lots of powders that are appropriate for all three cartridges.

Just realize that powders that are popular with .45 are often quite fast burning and with .40 those faster burning powders will give you less "room for error" when going for major power factor. As an example I don't think it's possible to make 40 major with WST without exceeding max loads (or at least being damn close) but it works good!

N320, Accu No.2, but both are fast powders (less recoil), so you should work your loads up and take care of the pressure.

The problem with the N320 is, that VV will close their doors.

So you maybe find a perfect load and then you can´t get the powder anymore.

Never used Clays, but heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Will try it, if I can get some.