Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Filling the void

JimmyB

I've been sitting on this ever since I joined the forum. There are a few reasons for this; I wasn't sure how to express my feelings towards the matter, I didn't wish to moan and also because it just makes me feel bad. Recently however, reading all of the great threads and looking at the superb pictures has made me realise that I do need to get it off my chest again.

I shall begin at the beginning, as I find that a good place to start.

I first started shooting pistols at the age of 10, a friend of my father's was a member of a local club and he encouraged us both to come down and try it out. The excitement and novelty of actually firing a real gun was something that will stay with me forever and I can still smell the range if I close my eyes. As a youngster, I was a novelty there, so I was given all sorts of different pistols to fire, including .44 mag and a 1911, both of which were pretty amazing things to me!

By the time I reached 13, I had started to shoot regularly at the club and got my first chance to enter a "proper" competition, against another club in the area. From then on, I was hooked. The buzz of standing on the line and trying my best against those around me is something that always gets me, like an addiction.

As I grew older, my exposure to competition, combined with spending most of my time with older people, taught me to be mature and respectful of those around me and people that I met. It also gave me a sense of purpose and taught me determination, dedication and self-control, plus humility.

By the time I had reached the age of 16, shooting was my life. My weekends were spent attending as many competitions as I could find, my weekdays were spent practising, reloading and attending school. At that time, the two major styles of shooting in the UK were PPC and IPSC and I was a PPC shooter, mainly because I could not afford to run 2 guns.

Shortly after this time, we started to hear rumours of a match known as "The Bianchi Cup" which was being shot in the US, which looked like a hybrid cross between the 2 disciplines. Some of the guys obtained a copy of the course of fire and we gave it a go.

From the very first time I shot the match, I knew it was for me. It had just the right challenge of speed and accuracy, plus it was neutral for any gun, with strings being fired in 6's.

I worked and worked on the match from that point, varying my training styles to grow my skills. My best friend was an avid IPSC shooter and we spent hours cross-training and discussing the mechanics and philosophies involed in competition. He bought Brian's book and lent it to me and whilst it was fairly incomprehensible to me at the time, I found many answers.

I would devour copies of American Hangunner, reading what the greats were doing and looking at the equipment they used. Names such as John Pride, Mickey Fowler, Brian Enos and Rob Leatham were held in huge esteem by me, in an almost rock-star like way.

I remember seeing a picture of Brian from after the Team Smith&Wesson days, shooting at the 'cup wearing a Ted Nugent T-shirt. This struck me as just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen, 2 fingers up at everyone. I used to be a member of the UK TS&W, before it was disbanded, so I felt an affinity with him. From that point on, I decided I was going to shoot for "Team Pink Floyd" and if anyone has ever seen me at the 'cup, they can tell you that's still what I do!

I first made the trip over to Bianchi in 1993 and it was absolutely amazing for me, all of these names that I had seen, were suddenly real people, I was awe struck!

In subsequent years, I have met some absolutely fantastic people, who I regard as some of my best friends. The kindness and generosity they extend to me humbles me and makes me feel as though I am imposing. Shooters really are some of the finest people in the world.

But as this is the hate forum, I had better get around to that part.

I hate the fact that I cannot compete in the country I live in.

I hate the fact that the country I live in does not think I am fit to have a pistol.

I hate the fact that I've spent more than half of my life doing something that I can't do anymore.

I hate it because my relationships suffered as a result of shooting.

I hate it because my education suffered as a result of shooting.

I hate that I miss it so much.

"Shooters really are some of the finest people in the world."
I, too, noticed that in my first five minutes of shooting with others.

Maybe it's time you moved. That way you won't miss it as you presently do. I'm sure there's room for you over here.

I had the distinct pleasure of helping in a small way to host a group of 10 or so shooters from Britain who came and shot a match at our club a few months back. We supplied them with equipment and had a practice for them the day before the match. Its amazing how much we take for granted what we have.

The only real solution to your problem is to move, the other is to travel to as many matches as you can elsewhere outside the UK.

Britinusa here on the board left because of the gun ban and now shoots here in Colorado where I live. We still make fun of his accent though:)

I too would seriously consider the option of moving to a gun friendly country Jimmy. My relationship and education have had to deal with my obsession...er...I mean hobby as well. If guns ever get banned here in The Netherlands, I'll buy a house somewhere in Flagstaff Arizona.

I understand how you feel. I'd moved before this happened ... but it's made it virtually certain that I could never go back to the UK.

There ought be a reset button that one can push when people get too stupid, but it would probably have been worn out by now :(

BTW Those people suggesting that he just moves to the US have no idea how difficult it can be for a Brit to move over here. I have 2 friends who would love to but there's no way they could ever get the appropriate paper work!

I understand how you feel. I'd moved before this happened ... but it's made it virtually certain that I could never go back to the UK.

There ought be a reset button that one can push when people get too stupid, but it would probably have been worn out by now :(

BTW Those people suggesting that he just moves to the US have no idea how difficult it can be for a Brit to move over here. I have 2 friends who would love to but there's no way they could ever get the appropriate paper work!

Partly jesting but partly curious, as well:

Is there no way to get into the country based on some sort of "asylum"? I'd argue that one is being persecuted, but I'm a daffy American.

We would welcome you here Jimmy. As Kevin noted it is not easy sometimes getting the paperwork to immigrate. But if you have friends in the States with a friendly congressman it makes it a whole lot easier. Another consideration; if Phil's bike can make it to New Zealand there is bound to be one you can ride to the colonies....

If all else fails, there is always one option to consider:

1. Fly to Mexico for vacation,

2. Wade across the Rio Grande,

3. Marry an American girl!

Simple, and it has worked a few million times so far!

I'm sure that I'd love to down a few dozen brewskis with you, Mike45 and other like minded Brits, but frankly, after being in the UK for the short time I was, I don't know how you could live there. I was all I could do to make it out of the pub w/o killing some whiny liberal weinie.

We have GOT to start an exchange program. We'll trade Jane Fonda and (the one whose name must not be mentioned) for your entire IPSC crew.

I was all I could do to make it out of the pub w/o killing some whiny liberal weinie.

We have GOT to start an exchange program. We'll trade Jane Fonda and (the one whose name must not be mentioned) for your entire IPSC crew.

Eric,

that's a totally unfair trade. If we're going to be able to import a small number of top quality individuals, the exchange rate should require us to export at least 100 "liberal weenies" per IPSC shooter ---- after all we don't want a reputation as a crook or cheat on the international trade circuit..... :lol::lol:

I'll see you 100 liberal weenies and raise you 1000. Oh hell...all in. All the liberal weenies for all the IPSC shooters.

I'll miss my wife (she is a LW) but maybe she can get work in a scotch distillery and send me alimony in scotch. :)

I hate the fact that I cannot compete in the country I live in.

I hate the fact that the country I live in does not think I am fit to have a pistol.

This should be a lesson to us in the US.

Vote on Nov 2!

The real hate is that the gun ban has not worked since statistics released last week showed that gun related crime in Britain during 2003 was the highest ever...

People are in general afraid of guns and politicians are afraid of people so when something gun related happens the politicians have no clue as to how to control illegal guns so they go after the legal guns because they are easily controlled thus they can tell the scared public, that they are so afraid of that they have just taken xxx thousands of guns off the streets..

But when proven that this doesn't work do you think they change it back... No way, that would mean that a politician would have to agree that he was wrong from the start, that have not yet happened.

Despite rumors to the contrary, it is possible to find a decent pint here in the states. You have to know where to look or better yet just brew your own but it can be had. And you might eventually get used to cold beer (although getting used to fizzy piss-yellow swill passed off for beer might not be possible).

We also have rugby and football (both flavors) although cricket isn't that popular here.

I would hate to have to leave the country of my birth to pursue freedom and I hope I never have to.

You might want to wait a bit and see how this silly event in early November turns out before you start packing though. We may all be headed elsewhere soon.

Anyone know of a large island we can purchase and rename Ipsic Island? Mandatory firearms ownership and carry (open and concealed). Ammo, components, replacement gun parts all available at the corner convenience store..... Sounds like heaven.

Jimmy,

Do what Phil and a guy you may know Steve Burniston (Bunny) did, move.

Phil turned into a half decent Cow Juicer and Steve builds boats, but hey you never know what awaits you.

BTW, FOOTball means FOOTball, not running around with it in your arms. Which would be HANDball?

Anyone know of a large island we can purchase and rename Ipsic Island? Mandatory firearms ownership and carry (open and concealed). Ammo, components, replacement gun parts all available at the corner convenience store..... Sounds like heaven.

Don't you mean Open, Limited, L10, Production or Revolver Carry?

Sign me up --- that is if you're planning on having an island newspaper. I'd be willing to cover the weekly matches for the sports section....

Sign me up --- that is if you're planning on having an island newspaper. I'd be willing to cover the weekly matches for the sports section....

Sports section? No way. On Ipsc Island match results are the headlines. You'll be writing for the front page.