Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BoreSnake Stuck in AR15 barrel....any ideas?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3/16ths steel rod from home depot and a brass hammer. I've had to drive as many as 40 jammed simunitions out of barrels using that method.

Never had an issue with the barrel or accuracy afterwards.

Galaxy Note II + Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the delay guys. The barrel is still sitting on the bench as of right now. I pulled the barrel out, and put in a new one before the match. I was too busy re-zeroing to try anything befrore I left, and then after the match, I went on vacation with the family to the beach. After some much needed time to relax, I will get to work on this. I'm throwing it in the freezer now, and if no luck from that, dump in the hydrogen peroxide to sit for a few days.

I thought of posting it for sale with the ad: BCM 18" Stainless Steel Barrel, less than 50 rounds through pipe Free Borsnake Included!!!! :devil:

Edited by sasquatch981

If you have a grease-gun, the barrel is treaded and if you can find an adapter you can probably force the boresnake out by pumping grease in. That's what we used to do, when I was in the service and somebody got a wad of patches or a bunch of tow stuck in a rifle barrel.

BTW, what's a "bunch of tow"?

It's a bunch of strands of some fiber material, typically flax, hemp or jute. We used to get bales of the stuff, and used it just like patches for cleaning rifle barrels.

tow
/tō/
Verb
(of a motor vehicle or boat) Pull (another vehicle or boat) along with a rope, chain, or tow bar.
Noun
  1. An act of towing a vehicle or boat.
  2. The coarse and broken part of flax or hemp prepared for spinning.
Synonyms
verb. haul - tug - drag - pull - trail - draw noun. oakum

Word of the day!

If you haven't resorted to hydrogen peroxide yet, Heat up a thin brass rod longer than your barrel and drive it through the knot from the crown end. Do this three or four times at least. The brass will burn small holes through the nylon, releasing some of the pressure. Then use a thicker rod (room temp and wrapped with masking tape every 4 inches or so to just under bore size) to knock the knot back from the crown end of the barrel toward the chamber. There should be no melted nylon left in the barrel, but if there is, just use a little mpro7 and a boresnake to clean it out... Yeah, it works... :blush:

The smith that owns the LGS shot one out before. I wish I could remember the details, but I recall him saying he soaked it in something (not peroxide, I would have remembered that), maybe just Hoppes. And he said he shot a cartridge WITHOUT a bullet. The gasses pushed it out and the barrel was fine.

Of course, I think a lot has to do with how much of the snake is stuck in the barrel, too... I can say that I wouldn't want to shoot one out of my own rifles unless it was absolutely the last option. And only then with a long string.