Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BoreSnake Stuck in AR15 barrel....any ideas?

You know how people say don't mess with something before you go to a big match. Well apparently for me that includes cleaning the @#$%^ rifle!!!!

So here is what happened. I decided to pop the rifle in half, oil the bolt, and run a boresnake down the barrel, before I put the rifle in the bag to be ready to leave monday morning for the NWMG in Bend. Bag is laying open waiting for the rifle.

I drop the brass leader down the barrel from the action side, and begin to pull. I get about 1/2 way through, and when it sticks. So I pull harder thinking it will pull free. Instead it just jams in tighter. Apparently the fat end doubled up and has lodged itself into the chanmber. Now I have the boresnake lodged into the chamber and can not reach any of the nylon from the action side. The part coming out of the barrel tore on the comp. So now I have the snake completely inside the barrel with nothing to grab onto.

Here is what I have done.

Before you ask if I used the right snake. Yes I used the .223 green "rifle" snake.

I tried blowing the snake out with an air compressor.

I tried using a cleaning rod, welding rod, and dowel to try and push the snake back through the barrel towards the action.

I have soaked the snake with oil in hopes it would at least lube the area, and allow for pushing through.

I have attempted to get a hook (homemade, and several large fishing hooks bent straight) to insert into the nylon from the action side and pull out.

I have even tried "lightly" to use a very small drill to wind into the fabric and pull it out

I tried all this with the rifle assembled, and because why the hell not, I have broken down the complete upper and have the barrel sitting on the bench.

Any suggestions? I have searched the net, and saw the "burn it out" method, but don't really want to get melted nylon in the barrel. Best part of it all..... It's a brand new BCM 18" stainless barrel. Not even 50-break-in rounds through it. :angry2:

Just goes to show, I am not going to clean my rifles again!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a standard cleaning rod anywhere i'd try and push the rest of the snake through the barrel towards the muzzle , less resistance then going towards the breech . If it's really stuck then a squib rod or nylon rod and a hammer

If you have a grainger or similar store near you a tool like this may allow you to get a hold of it from the chamber end.

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/search/palmetto-packing/ecatalog/N-1z0thrb;jsessionid=0E27B503FBC07BE6DE27253472BBD9C4.prlap551

This is the tool I would use,,I have used them in my job and when you get it hooked something is going to move,they are strong and the tips are replaceable,,good luck.

Screw- $.74

Rod- $2.49

Tig Welder- $1599.00

2 hrs fabricating tool

$1602.23 to save a $400 barrel, PRICELESS!!! :goof:

I like the $11 version.

Screw- $.74

Rod- $2.49

Tig Welder- $1599.00

2 hrs fabricating tool

I like the $11 version.

What TIG welder are you buying? They can be had for less!

A friend with a TIG is all you need.

Screw- $.74

Rod- $2.49

Tig Welder- $1599.00

2 hrs fabricating tool

I like the $11 version.

What TIG welder are you buying? They can be had for less!

A friend with a TIG is all you need.

Gotta be a Miller. Buy once cry once... :devil:

If you have a grainger or similar store near you a tool like this may allow you to get a hold of it from the chamber end.

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/search/palmetto-packing/ecatalog/N-1z0thrb;jsessionid=0E27B503FBC07BE6DE27253472BBD9C4.prlap551

This is the tool I would use,,I have used them in my job and when you get it hooked something is going to move,they are strong and the tips are replaceable,,good luck.

I'd go with this too. They're for removing packing out of the stuffing box of a pump. I use them pretty regularly and they're very stout. I'm not sure it will work, but worth a try before burning. Is there not an acid that would affect nylon and not the barrel material? Perhaps a very diluted solution? Anything to soften the material.

Another thought is freezing the snake solid. Any welding shop/gas supplier would have liquid nitrogen. You could try freezing the snake and breaking it out that way. The nitrogen won't harm the barrel at all, some people pay to have their barrels cryo treated. Wear heavy gloves and a face shield for sure, the nitrogen will freeze skin on contact.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out. I'm sure it'll happen to me some day.

Kevin

I'm really fascinated by this, mostly because I'm sure it's gonna happen to me. I've had to seriously pull on a bore snake before.

So hydrogen peroxide is harmful to nylon(assuming a bore snake is nylon). http://www.mountainproject.com/v/effects-of-chlorine-on-nylon-rope/106408671#a_106409656

Chlorine is too, but the stainless won't like it.

304 and 316 stainless are good with the hydrogen peroxide http://www.ozoneservices.com/articles/004.htm

I don't know what alloy your barrel is so check on that for sure.

But maybe take another bore snake, you're probably not fond of them right now anyway, and soak it in some house hold hydrogen peroxide. Maybe it will weaken it enough that the double fold in the chamber end will give. That will at least give you some idea of how it would work and the soak time needed.

Just trying to come up with something constructive. I've never tried this and don't know if it will work or damage your barrel. Might be worth a little science expirement though.

Kevin

Never seen this one happen before, but all you should need to do is put the barrel in the freezer for a little while... the bore snake should shrink enough to pull it out...

since the tip got doubled up while moving towards the muzzle....i'd try working it back towards the breech by tapping it out.

I liked the idea above about using a brass and hammer to knock it out...and think it will work...get a brass rod long enough to reach and do the job...and then i'd get a small hammer and start tapping the snake back in the direction of the breech. light fast taps might be enough to dislodge it and get it moving. if you try and use a patch puller it will snag the snake....but i'd bhe afraid it'll just tear it up when you apply pressure and try to pull it out. you need fast and quick blows to get it dislodged and then hopefully once it starts moving it'll come right out.

best of luck....