Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BoreSnake Stuck in AR15 barrel....any ideas?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a place I used to work, they would cast lapping plugs by putting a cleaning patch in a barrel, then inserting a bore brush behind it, and pouring Brownell's Cerrosafe into the barrel around the brush. Then you just screwed a cleaning rod onto it and could pull out a perfect lap plug.

I'm thinking if you haven't already gotten the snake out, you might try putting a brush in the chamber behind it and see if some Cerrosafe would grab onto the snake enough to pull the whole thing out.

I would try and screw a screw into the back and pull it out paying attention to keep it in the center. Best use a brass one with big thread. If that would not work i'd try the muzzle loader patch worm. I do like the heat option too. I think you might be able to soften things up without completely melting the thing.

Latest update. After pulling from the freezer (after 4-days), other than being cold, nothing different. I went and got a new brass rod about 6" long and starting pound from the muzzle end. Starting tapping lightlly, then with more vim and vigor. After the rod started to mushroom, and I had made approximetely 1/8" of in of progress the rod started to bend!!!

I think the next step is the propane torch!!!

I'll keep you all informed. :goof:

Latest update. After pulling from the freezer (after 4-days), other than being cold, nothing different. I went and got a new brass rod about 6" long and starting pound from the muzzle end. Starting tapping lightlly, then with more vim and vigor. After the rod started to mushroom, and I had made approximetely 1/8" of in of progress the rod started to bend!!!

I think the next step is the propane torch!!!

I'll keep you all informed. :goof:

Dude, I like the grease gun idea.

Wonder what air pressure would do to it, if you could find an adapter for the end of the barrel that would let you attach an air hose ??

The problem with air is that it compresses a lot; grease, hydraulic fluid and oil require massive amounts of pressure to compress them, so when the bore snake gives it would ooze out like a tube of toothpaste, rather than fire out like a bullet.

The saga is OVER!!!!!!!!

Went to the local hardware store and bought a 12" drill about 1/2 the diameter of the barrel. Chocked it up in my drill and proceeded slowly from the muzzle end. Went in about 3/4 to 1" and then pulled the drill. I little puff of green borsnake came out the muzzle, so I pulled...... With little to no efforr the 14" of snake came right out!!!!! :surprise:

I tried burning it out first, and nothing would even catch fire. I heated both ends, and shot some flames through the gas port hole, and maybe that loosened stuff up. I don't know, but it is out now. No more bore snakes, I am off to the store to buy an OTIS right now!!!!

Im glad its out but that was rather anti climatic.

I was hoping the ending would involve liquid nitrogen or dynamite or something similar.

Congrats on your barrel now being usable again.

yes this has been one of the greatest threads. lots of suspense and drama.

i was also wishing for a bigger ending, something with fireworks and explosions. maybe in the sequal.

HAHAHAH I love it. We're all let down by that . We were expecting like a plasma torch or high explosives . Maybe some acid that cleared out the boresnake but then ate through the bathtub ala breaking bad.

Either way , i'm glad your barrel is ok. Was it a regular boresnake or the newer boresnake that's " improved " . The newer one almost got stuck in my ar . IT has the much thinner string and more " surface area " . I had to wrap the string around my leatherman and hold my upper between my feet to be able to get it out .

I may go to otis in the near future as well. For now my original boresnakes are killing it

In one of the threads on a different board I was reading about this very issue, the guy had the same problem. He also got several suggestions, and ended up taking it to a gunsmith after several weeks of no luck. The Gunsmith got it out for the guy, and then............. the guy never asked how he got it out!!!!! This was an 8-page thread :goof:

At least we are only at 3-pages, and there is a conclusion.....boring conclusion, but a conclusion none the less.

In one of the threads on a different board I was reading about this very issue, the guy had the same problem. He also got several suggestions, and ended up taking it to a gunsmith after several weeks of no luck. The Gunsmith got it out for the guy, and then............. the guy never asked how he got it out!!!!! This was an 8-page thread :goof:

At least we are only at 3-pages, and there is a conclusion.....boring conclusion, but a conclusion none the less.

Not that boring! This thread had some good stuff. This is still my favorite response...

If you haven't resorted to hydrogen peroxide yet, Heat up a thin brass rod longer than your barrel and drive it through the knot from the crown end. Do this three or four times at least. The brass will burn small holes through the nylon, releasing some of the pressure. Then use a thicker rod (room temp and wrapped with masking tape every 4 inches or so to just under bore size) to knock the knot back from the crown end of the barrel toward the chamber. There should be no melted nylon left in the barrel, but if there is, just use a little mpro7 and a boresnake to clean it out... Yeah, it works... :blush:

:roflol:

"...and a boresnake to clean it out."

I thought I'd get more response to that... And I was hoping he wouldn't swear off a product because of a single SNAFU. I resorted to the burn and drive method pretty quickly, so my frustration was measured in hours, not days. I still use boresnakes in every caliber; I'm just more attentive when I do. :surprise:

After getting the boresnake out, i did use the "front-half" of the old borsnake to pull through the barrel to see if there were any snags created by the drill. :surprise: Luckily I did not touch the sides of the barrel with the drill. :goof:

Damn it, I was digging around in the garage for my thermic lance...

You have those in your garage? I'm afraid to ask....Are they part of your gunsmithing tools? :surprise:

Did some work with EOD dudes and they used several of those to burn through about 20" of armored hull plate to get to what they were after. Those things are brim fire and hell-stone nasty mean! Went through a 12 pack of big O2 bottles, too.

But yeah, that would have gotten the boresnake, but the barrel would have been vaporized!

This was a fun saga to read, I would have done the grease hydraulic push also. Definitely safer than compressed air!

Next time you do this, please put it on youtube! :roflol: