Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Color Fiber Optic do you use in your Front Sight and why?

stick

I run orange seems brighter than red to me but not bright as green. Blue seems to be the brightest by far in absolute sunlight but falls off quickly the darker it gets and i've never found any use for yellow it doesn't work for me in any light.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This website is where I got mine. Bought there multi pack which is 3 feet of each color.

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/store/index.php?cPath=8_22

Looks like they don't make blue in 1mm size.

What sight brand do you use and what size did you get? I use a Dawson front and I measured the fiber rod at .98mm

edit: blue and violet are the same it looks like.

Edited by waktasz

I thought the same thing at first.... it didn't make sense to wear red w/ a red front sight. Tried it, and never looked back.

That's really interesting! I use red and wear clear lenses.

I always assumed the red + red combo would wash out, rather than contrast and make it pop. Will have to try this!

Lester

Looks like they don't make blue in 1mm size.

What sight brand do you use and what size did you get? I use a Dawson front and I measured the fiber rod at .98mm

edit: blue and violet are the same it looks like.

Please refer to my dealer section, or signature for more information about blue fiber optic.

sometimes we get to focused on the fiber color, and we shoot the iron sighted gun like an open gun. If you are getting sloppy hits, always default to the fundamentals. I will run a blue, just so that I can get my eyes back on the front sight, and I just may stay there since blue will be dark and I can just use the front post and negate bright fiber optic, that will tell me where the impact of my shots will go instead of relying on a dot to determine whether to break the shot or not.

Good luck.

Edited by Sean Gaines

I agree. I was able to get some blue/violet from the above link and used it at the last match. The blue is duller than green and I'm able to focus on the front post better. I shot all black sights all of last year and did well, switched to fiber this year while trying to gain some speed and am slowly going to dimmer and duller fiber to try to get the best of both worlds.

Generally, is the green less bright than red (or is it the other way around)? How about yellow?

I have had red only because that is what it came with my sights but beginning to think perhaps there might be a less brighter color I can use as the red just seems very bright for me.

I shot the blue/purple one this weekend. It is duller than the green or especially the red, which was the goal.

Why duller?

I thought the idea was for it to light up like a Christmas tree.

I shot the blue/purple one this weekend. It is duller than the green or especially the red, which was the goal.

Why duller?

I thought the idea was for it to light up like a Christmas tree.

Its good only if it is a crisp bright but if it starts to flare, get fuzzy due to extreme brightness, then its no good.

I'm back to using red with amber lenses in my Oakleys. I thought the green would really pop, and that I'd switch over, but I hated it, and had a hard time picking up the front sight at all! I tried clear and it was the same way. Personal preference I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I use red because it's what came on my Dawson's, but they also included a few spare rods in green. I'm actually really looking forward to installing the green as i feel it will glow more, but i didn't want to waste the rod that came on it so i figured i'd roll with it for a bit until it gets dull. I'm also a little hesitant because i'm afraid i'm going to screw it up when i go to replace it. I didn't know there were variety packs that have different colors. I really haven't seen anything other then red and green. I would love to have a blue fiber optic. I'm going to google search for it right now.

I have been using red, but am thinking about trying green to see if there is any difference to my eyes.

Same here, I have green rods but have never felt the need to change from red. When the red fiber breaks I'll probably replace it with green.

I started with red. Did fine with it, but did notice it had a bit of a "halo" affect. I thought this was normal and figured I'd just get used to it. Then I ran out of red fiber optic (broke a couple times) and I changed to a green one I had. LOVED it! Sharper sight picture and no "halo" for me. Been using green ever since. (also run regular Trijicon night sights too...)

• 1 month later...