Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The politics of getting a pay raise...

GrumpyOne

So, the last raise I got was in 2010, and it was .7%...7/10ths of 1%...the raise before that was 2008, and it was 1%. I've always been the top performer at work, with the highest efficiency and best quality... I was told at the time I got those raises that it was the company doing poorly and that was why they were so small. So, I re-doubled my efforts, and pushed my colleagues to do the same, which most totally do not care (8 and the gate), in the hopes of getting better raises. So, today it pays off....I got a raise! .098%....while most of my colleagues got 2% or so....seems that the company thinks I'm topped out in pay. So, after being the top again last year, others got more than twice the raise I got, for doing poorly. Rant off...

Although I envy the stability that you have with a regular paycheck and stable employment, I wouldn't trade the ability to give myself a raise anytime I feel like working harder for anything in the world. I tried to work for the man, turns out, I am the man. Look at the bright side Grumpy, when you're at the top of the game you're already at the top of the rewards. In a shooting context, from what I understand it's the last 1% that separates M from GM that's the hardest to achieve.

They should at least offer a work related bonus system. Bad business. You can't keep good workers and not reward them. Biggest mistake any small company can make. You don't cheap on what keeps you running.

If you're at the top of your game it might be time to break out on your own and get paid as a high dollar Consultant or contract Project Manager. You can do anything you put your mind to, I've seen your Texas Star!!!

I've read of a lot of people leaving company A, going to B with a raise and then going back to A with another raise or promotion. Sort of like "absence makes the heart grow fonder" sort of thing.

If nothing else, it has motivated me to look for employment elsewhere

That's what I was going to suggest until I got to this point. Be able to prove the impact you have had on your company's results with hard facts and there will be no shortage of companies willing to offer you much more than what you are currently getting.

My first employer closed it's doors and I was laid off in 2001 after a few years of stagnant raises. It turned out that getting booted out was the best thing that ever happened for my salary. I changed jobs 4 times in the next 2 years getting a 20% or so pay bump each time. When I finally settled back into another steady job I was making over double what I was when I was let go.

I've read of a lot of people leaving company A, going to B with a raise and then going back to A with another raise or promotion. Sort of like "absence makes the heart grow fonder" sort of thing.

There is no company B in the area. Highly specialized field, with very few companies, even worldwide.

From my prespective as a Program Manager with a large company, many times a certain position has a certain pay range associated with it. As you get close to the high end of that pay band your raises start slowing down because you are penetrated into the pay band too much. If you were to be put into the next higher position/pay band you would be starting back near the lower portion of the new band and your raises would be a higher presentage. It sucks becuase if you have good employees who do well and get good raises they increase fast but if you can't promote them into the next higher job position/code the raises start slowing down no matter how good of a job they do and how great of an eval I give them.

Not sure if that is what is in play here but that is how it works in my company and it may be similar in yours?

Neal in AZ