Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling media

Fureio

FUREIO<

I buy Walnut Media Medium and Heavy Grit from Harbor Freight, also use a spray bottle with mineral spirits and use just enough to moisten the top of media, cleans better and faster. ( Pkgd 25 LB Box)

When the brass cases are not bright and shinney after 2 hours in a Dillon 2000 large vib unit thats when I change it.

It might not be to wise to smoke around media with mineral spirits.

Hillbilly, - Don't do dumb POOP.

Perry

Edited by perrysho

For final finish - after stainless pinning - I use the "fine" grade of walnut hulls from Harbor Freight and Nu-Finish car polish.

The fine grade walnut hull is small enough that it doesn't stick in primer holes and with the Nu-Finish will really give you some very attractive brass.

Usually tumble for about two hours.

Use cheap corn cob media from the pet section at Wal-Mart. Add a teaspoon of new finish and a dryer sheet and it should last 5-6 batches. You will know when to change it when the brass isn't coming out clean anymore.

Is it actually called corn cob media?

I assume it is actually kitty litter or something else?

Pet stores have the walnut shells under the name Lizard Litter. The Crushed corn cob is in the pet section of walmart as a cage lining material I believe. Yes, both are used as litter control in some fashion.

But a.roberts nailed it. I order my fine corn cob from drillspot and I get my crushed walnut from a sandblasting store locally for about $25 for 40#. Seems that I remember not being able to find walnut at drillspot.

For me the professional grade stuff seems to last longer, especially the walnut. I like to keep a small cup of new walnut shells on the tumbler bench to compare with. When the walnut gets dull on the edges it takes much longer to work. As for the corn, it seems to last longer if you go easy on the polish. I use a drop or two of nufinish every 4-5 batches. Use it much more than that or use too much at once and it gums up the corn and it quits working.

Two hours walnut followed by two hours of corn.

Parrot litter (crushed English walnut shells) from Petsmart. $25 for a 25 lb bag. Nu Finish car polish and 2 cap fulls of mineral spirits. Tumble time varies. More time with dirty media.

Zilla sand from Petsmart with one cap full of nu finish. When it starts to get dirty, cut up a dryer sheet and run it for a couple of hours. You can tell when it time to change the media when the cases don't come clean after a couple of hours. You can also strain and clean the media, but its probably not really worth it.

Buy a 40 lb bag from Drillspot.com. $33.66 to my door, and I think I had it the next day.

How did you get it at that total price? When I run it, the shipping is as much as the media itself.

Buy a 40 lb bag from Drillspot.com. $33.66 to my door, and I think I had it the next day.

How did you get it at that total price? When I run it, the shipping is as much as the media itself.

Oh! Looks like they don't do free shipping anymore.

I ordered in September of 2012.

Dillon's Corn Cob is awesome. You can get a 40 lb bag that will last you almost forever, and they'll ship it to you for dirt cheap (less than $10 I believe). Can't go wrong.

Be careful with corn cob litter from the pet store. Some is VERY large pieces. I found Kay Kob from Pet Smart to be a little big, but usable.

As for when it is done, when it gets to dirty you don't want to put your brass in, or if it starts to break down and make a lot of dust.

I don't POLISH my cases, I CLEAN them. 10 - 15 minutes is enough to get the grit and grime off them. They are not for show, and they will be shortly rolling around on the ground. :)

Checked a Large Pet Store chain today, They have the Zilla lizard bedding made of crushed walnut shells, 10 qts for $15. It looks very finely ground. Is it better to use a coarser cut, or just use the standard corn-cob media? Will the fine ground blend produce more dust? And how does the coarse-ness affect the brass?

I'm just getting started, in fact, got my Lyman 1200 delivered today.

Thanks for any advice!

Checked a Large Pet Store chain today, They have the Zilla lizard bedding made of crushed walnut shells, 10 qts for $15. It looks very finely ground. Is it better to use a coarser cut, or just use the standard corn-cob media? Will the fine ground blend produce more dust? And how does the coarse-ness affect the brass?

I'm just getting started, in fact, got my Lyman 1200 delivered today.