Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running with the Safety on!?!

My brother was shooting a match this weekend, rifle/pistol. Called to let me know that between moving from shooting positions with rifle the RO kept telling him to put his rifle's safety on. Now I haven't shot a match since Kentucky's Blue Ridge 3G, two years ago, but don't remember ever having to do that, pistol or multigun event. Is this a new trend in rules? Or just an RO or specific range request?

Funny, I usually ask if it's required for the start position with rifle and SG. I haven't found an RO to tell me no yet. I've never seen a match that requires the weapon to be put on safety once the shootin starts and the gun remains in the shooters hands.

Just good practice if you're taking more than a few steps. We shoot a match down here where there's about 150 yds of running with 4 or 5 shooting positions mixed in. Goog idea to throw the safe switch on for a trot.

Had my first AD last month moving with a rifle. Shot from first position. took strong hand off grip to run Right to left about 20 yrds. Did not engage safety. when brought hand back toward grip, stuck my middle finger into trigger guard and bang. Round low into berm, 40 yards away, downrange. Running, manipulation the gun, looking for next position and targets at same time, pushing to go fast. In retrospect, I should have flipped safety on as I left first position and disengaged it as I remounted the gun taking second position.

Edited by Lead-Head

There is no good reason to not put the safety on when you break cheek weld with a rifle. I try to do it everytime.

Note to self : Cheek off Safety on maybe some painters tape and a sharpie where my cheek weld would be until it is second nature "CoSo" for short

The cool stuff/ideas one finds here on BE

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I try to whenever I'm running. I saw a guy slip in the mud and Have a ND a few months ago and I'm still not sure how he missed his foot. It doesn't take any extra time and could keep me from going home early or worse. It is not a rule at any match I've shot though. Just seems like a good practice.

It's probably a specific range request which will trump any match specific rules.

With all the new short throw safeties available I find myself putting it on whenever I'm done shooting and start to move. After forcing yourself to do this at a local match or two this will become second nature and subconscious like most other safety procedures.

It's a great habit, rarely enforced and not a bad idea to adopt.

Had my first AD last month moving with a rifle. Shot from first position. took strong hand off grip to run Right to left about 20 yrds. Did not engage safety. when brought hand back toward grip, stuck my middle finger into trigger guard and bang. Round low into berm, 40 yards away, downrange. Running, manipulation the gun, looking for next position and targets at same time, pushing to go fast. In retrospect, I should have flipped safety on as I left first position and disengaged it as I remounted the gun taking second position.

Is that an automatic DQ?

I asked and received confirmation with the USCA. It is an unwritten rule. Their rule book is still very new and basic, and doesn't detail any specific rules about gun handling at their matches. They have a long way to go with their rule book, but they are making progress. Look at the middle two paragraphs on page 18 and see if you can make sense of it yourself. I asked about the shoot through rule directly, and I was told that all targets are in fact impenetrable, but they were thinking of changing that. I would hope not, because it will be a disaster trying to properly score some situations.

I'd be interested in hearing a GOOD reason for not engaging the safety.

And "because I don't have to" is not a good reason.

How would one engage targets on the move over say 20 steps with some breaks in between and be competive? I'm all for safety but any weapon's primary safety is with you at all times...between your ears.

I see what folks here are saying but I've run many a stage where I never broke cheek weld, wasn't shooting (but getting point aqcusition) and never engaged the safety. Pulled finger out of guard? sure thing, but how do you get a proper trigger prep if you are constantly flipping the safety back and forth?

I'd be interested in hearing a GOOD reason for not engaging the safety.

And "because I don't have to" is not a good reason.

How would one engage targets on the move over say 20 steps with some breaks in between and be competive? I'm all for safety but any weapon's primary safety is with you at all times...between your ears.

I see what folks here are saying but I've run many a stage where I never broke cheek weld, wasn't shooting (but getting point aqcusition) and never engaged the safety. Pulled finger out of guard? sure thing, but how do you get a proper trigger prep if you are constantly flipping the safety back and forth?

We all have different perspectives. In my opinion, I'm either shooting or I'm moving. If I'm moving, the safety is on. If I'm shooting, it's not.

If I'm moving while I'm shooting, then I'm shooting. The movement is just ancillary to the shooting.

I wold never attend a match where it was required. :blink:

I also had lawn darts as a kid , so . . . .

Yeah, I agree with this policy.

There is already rules that cover the safety aspect of moving with a loaded gun.

ROs have enough to deal with and don't need the extra distraction of micromanaging your thumb and trying to see or listen for a safety to engage up to 10-20 times per shooter 200-250 times a match.

Next thing they will want to see me put my pistol on safe when I'm moving.

Edited by mr50mag