Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i am looking at the 2011 pistol designs

mese341

hi this is my first post and i am looking to buy a competition pistol for my 21st birthday. I shoot uspsa at my local club up in northern minnesota and there are not a lot of people that have custom guns so i cant hold alot of them but i have felt 1, 2011 pistol. I am shooting a a xd 5" tactical in 9mm and i want to stay in the minor category and i don't know a lot of the custom features that most people get or like or what builder i should go with i want to stay around the $4500 dollars

Check out Matt Cheely at ccgunworks.com. He is in Michigan. His guns are some of the best in the business. Shoot him an email and he will walk you through the entire process.

If u are spending money on this platform, go .40, and shoot minor if u wish or go major at some point, it just makes sence to keep options open, there is no major 9 in limited

the price of ammo is why i am going with 9 because of the price of ammo and i am just starting to reload and i don't have ppl to help with that and i am also starting gunsmithing school so i am saving 14 paychecks to get the gun for my 21st

I understand saving money on ammo. But if you are going to shoot Limited and pay that much for a gun, 40 is what I would do. STI's are great guns. But fundamentals are more important than the gun. Find what you want, buy it, and shoot the heck out of it.

The amount of money that you are willing to spend is a lot for a gun that leaves you scoring minor. It will probably do fine at local matches but shooting minor against good shooting isn't something your really going to want to do. If you are hell bent on reloading 9mm I would recommend shooting production or 9mm major in open.

Unless I just had unlimited $ to spend on this, I'd be very hesitant to spend $4,000 on a 9mm limited gun. If you really get into it, it won't be long before you regret not getting a .40 cal.

If you are intent on starting with 9mm, get an STI Eagle from Brazos or Dawson in 9mm. Shoot it for a while to make sure it's what you really want.

You can always sell it later, if you really want to go the custom route.

Buy a CZ Tactical Sports, Tanfoglio Limited, or STI Edge in .40 and spend some of the money you save for a awesome press and reloading setup and lots of components. You'd have to be insane to drop that kind of cash on a gun and be worried about ammo cost.

Edited by pivoproseem

You could buy a Dawson CRP and still have $2500 left over to spend on ammo. That should cover the price difference between 9mm and .40. If you are going to go to gunsmithing school than you have a good basic platform you can build off as a project gun also. Buying once fired brass and bayou, precision, bbi, or any other of the coated cast bullets the saving between 9 and .40 are not that much. Even shooting 10k rounds a year you are only going to save a couple hundred dollars at most. If you buy an edge or something like that in .40 and decide you don't like it they do hold there value pretty well on the classifieds here and on Gunbroker.

You will probably score better with a cheap guns like a m&p or glock in major that you will with a custom gun shooting minor.

Personally if I went back to shooting limited I would go for a Bedell or Cheely sight tracker type of gun

With a $4500 budget you should have no troble setting your self up. $2200 for a "tuned" gun from Dawson or Brazos or $3000ish for a built gun from any of the top gun smiths mentioned above. That leaves you $1000 to buy a Dillon 650 and all the accesories to load 40 and be competative in limited. You could then load 40 ammo for what you would pay to buy 9mm ammo. You would have atleast $500 left over to start buying reloading components.

I agree about going with major. I shot limited minor for a few matches trying to keep from reloading but I took such a points hit I went to major. On the other hand the STI edge in 9mm is a fun gun to shoot. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it to you, do what makes you smile.

I would also suggest 40 vs 9mm. You will never be able to recoup your investment if you build a 2011 custom 9mm. You can eaisily build a custom 2011 in .40 with plenty of money left over for a Dillon loader and components. You will enjoy the sport far more with comppetitive equipment.

i live in duluth mn so i am only 150 miles from the canadian border lol and thanks for the suggestions but i am just not sure about the 40 cal cause i shot a freedom gunworks 2011 40 cal and i just dont like the recoil on it i am only 5 foot 2 and i just feel that it kicks to hard for me to shoot it effectively i know alot of people do but for me i am not sure and i shot my best stage today :) i shot 6 steel, then shot 2 cardbord targets and i got 2 alpha and 2 charlies and i went 5 for 5 on the texas star in 58.9 seconds and i am shooting an xd 5in tactical in 9mm and i am shooting limited 10 with a bad recoil spring i am super happy

When I shoot one of my Eagles in IDPA, I use a minor load with WST and 155gr bullets. With a 10lb recoil spring, the gun barely moves during recoil.

Recoil is just not an issue if you load minor.

If your budget is $4500, for a couple hundred more you could probably have an SV with the caliber conversion, that adds around $1K to the price so you would essentially have one of the finest handguns in the world x 2. I am ordering all of my newer ones in .40 and 9MM....9mm for 3-gun and .40 for USPSA if the urge ever strikes.