Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules Notice

sperman

I just went to the USPSA website and this is on the page for the rules.

Notice

The USPSA BOD has not released or approved a new set of handgun rules. The 2008/2010 amended rulebook is the one in use at this time. The 2011 rule changes will be available as part of the current handgun rule book on the web page soon. Contact your Area Director for more information. A list of contact information is available in Front Sight Magazine and here.

Thank you,

Troy McManus

A4 Director, Range Master Instructor and Rule Committee Member

Is this some artifact left over from the transition to a new web server? If not, it confuses the heck out of me, because it sounds like the changes announced to be effective 1/1/2013 are not in effect.

The way I think the number one job of USPSA is to keep everyone shooting out of the same set of rules. USPSA does a lot of stuff very well. They suck at making it easy to know what the most current rules are.

I'm not sure which 2011 rules he's referring to. I think he's talking about the Lim/Lim10 changes that went into effect Jan 1 2013 but were passed in 2011? The changes to Lim/Lim10 are in effect now. I think he's just referring to including them in the actual book. I'll check but a lot of the ADs are traveling today to the BOD meeting.

A couple of days ago on my personal profile there was a notice of my membership being updated, but I had not updated my membership. I talked to their online chat help and she told me that they were updating stuff or moving to a new server or something and that some stuff was getting scrambled. Maybe this message was related to that.

The message was not related to the server change, and has been, as far as I know, on the web page for a while.

Having said that, my apologies for not being more clear in the message.

The intent was to communicate that we do indeed have a functional rule book, the 2008 book with 2010 BOD approved amendments, and the rulings as published on the web page. I neglected to also state that the 2011 BOD approved changes are also in effect.

The 2011 changes will be included in the new version of the rules.

We are currently in the process of revising the rules, and will have a new book out shortly.

Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by mactiger

The message was not related to the server change, and has been, as far as I know, on the web page for a while.

The intent was to communicate that we do indeed have a functional rule book, the 2008 book with 2010 BOD approved amendments, and the rulings as published on the web page. I neglected to also state that the 2011 BOD approved changes are also in effect.

We are currently in the process of revising the rules, and will have a new book out shortly.

Sorry for any confusion.

You mention the 2008 Rulebook...

...with the 2010 Rulebook Amendments, as approved by the BoD...

...and rulings as published on the webpage (of USPSA, I assume)....

...and 2011 BoD Approved changes....

Is this great compendium of rules and rule changes available anywhere as a single document?

Mark,

I doubt it -- but I'd love it if we could get it down to at least two documents -- the rulebook, and a single .pdf with all interpretations and changes in rulenumber/appendix order....

That would get us a lot closer....

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks Troy. Have fun in Utah.

We are working on that unified rulebook this weekend, and I'll continue to work on building a system to keep the rules current and evergreen. I have captured most of the suggestions I've seen here and elsewhere.

There should be more information available after the board meeting is done.

Troy

We are working on that unified rulebook this weekend, and I'll continue to work on building a system to keep the rules current and evergreen. I have captured most of the suggestions I've seen here and elsewhere.

There should be more information available after the board meeting is done.

Troy

Yay!

Mark,

I doubt it -- but I'd love it if we could get it down to at least two documents -- the rulebook, and a single .pdf with all interpretations and changes in rulenumber/appendix order....

That would get us a lot closer....

I dream about this for IDPA........ no troll just dreaming out loud!

• 2 weeks later...

Wait... is there where we should propose the new rule 1.3.1.1?

1.3.1.1 USPSA special sanctioning for major match weather

As addressed in Appendix A1, new mandatory weather considerations for all Level II, and Level III state, Area and special matches. All matches wishing to attain Level II or Level III status must be planned in typical rainy, cold, hurricane, gail force winds and/or amphibious weather seasons as predicated by historical norms.

1.3.1.1.1 Scoring changes for weather sanctioned matches-Weather Acheivement Bonus

For each match that applies for such sanctioning shall recieve special scoring so as to add 3.14 percentage points for total hit factor scores of all competitors that are to be applied to said competitors scores as outlined in 1.3.1.1.4. This will not increase the score to allow the score to increase to 100%. It will also not be applied in the event the new score will place the competitor higher than the previous winning competitor of the next higher classification. IE B class competitor score can not be increase to be higher than the highest A class competitor for the match.

1.3.1.1.2 Scoring changes for weather sanctioned matches-Lack of Weather Acheivement Penalty

Matches that apply for this sanctioning but fail to meet the requirement will have 3.14 percentage points subtracted total hit factor scores of all compitors that are to be applied to said competitors scores as outlined in 1.3.1.1.4 This will not reduce the competitors score below 0. In the event the score will be reduced below zero, this rull will not apply.

1.3.1.1.3 Weather reporting requirement

Upon completion of the match, the weather situation will be reported by Range Master and seconded by Match Director in one of the following methods:

a. Match was as easy as Pi- this results in the weather penalty

b. Match ate our Pi- this results in the weather bonus.

c. Match was half baked- this results in the use of the special formula in 1.3.1.1.4

1.3.1.1.4 Application of special formula for score modification

In the event a match spans multiple days and a competitor is not subject to the full monte of the Pi variance, the following formula shall be applied.

The number of stages shot under rule 1.3.1.1 applicable conditions will recieve the percent of overall match weather incentive or penality. IE if the match had 10 stages, and 6 stages had weather, those 6 stages will get the weather bonus and the remaining for will get the weather penality.

hmm.. Well.. It seems to fit the cold morning start at Alabama State, the rain at Area 6, and SC State... and single stack nationals....

Or did someone already steal this?

ok ok... it's all in jest... but I bet someone will read all the way down and think WHAT???? Are you kidding me????

A local match director stated yesterday that the new rules are not in effect and that e.g. thumb rests are not yet legal in Limited. That certainly doesn't agree with what Troy said above. I think the notice on the Rules page is confusing and needs to be clarified ASAP.

Pay Attention:

I neglected to also state that the 2011 BOD approved changes are also in effect.

In other words, the 2011 BOD approved changes ARE IN EFFECT.

Is that clear enough?

Troy

Troy I dont believe the problem is with the people reading this forum

but rather the people who are not reading this. and some of those people are running matches.

Pay Attention:

I neglected to also state that the 2011 BOD approved changes are also in effect.

In other words, the 2011 BOD approved changes ARE IN EFFECT.

Is that clear enough?

Troy

Troy I dont believe the problem is with the people reading this forum

but rather the people who are not reading this. and some of those people are running matches.

I agree with this. It is amazing how few shooters, much less RMs and MDs keep up with what is posted on this forum, decisions posted in FrontSight, etc. I know USPSA is working to make the web site better and is working on a new rule book but at the very least could the area coordinators please try to keep up with rulings and make sure the club presidents and MDs in their area know to go look? IT should also be very simple for USPSA to use the database to identify club contacts and email those contacts when a new ruling is published or goes live.

A monthly visit to http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php is not too much to ask from someone who is/acts as an RO/CRO/MD/RM, is it? A new consolidated book will be nice but, all the info they need is one or two clicks away at the above link. The link is well known and every member gets a copy of Front Sight. Damn, take some initiative. Sorry for sniveling but it is just not that damn hard to stay current!

Edited by ChuckS