Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hotels in Quincy to avoid like the plague!

Nolan

Anybody else have a lousy room/service at the Daze Inn in Quincy? Here's the written portion of my stay. I'll skip the phone conversations.

Date of Stay: 09/11/2004

Hotel Name: Days Inn

Hotel Location/Address: Quincy, Illinois

I am most disappointed with the Quincy, Illinois Days Inn hotel. On our arrival Sept. 11 as we unloaded our luggage we were greeted by the dirty stained cigarette butt strewn lobby and filthy smelly elevator.

Check the following links to see the photos.

Days Inn elevator lobby

Days Inn Filthy elevator floor1

Days Inn Filthy elevator floor2

Days Inn Mildew'd Laundry Area

Days Inn Broken Ice machine

Days Inn Water leaking under bathroom wall into 2nd floor lobby

Days Inn Daily view of groundfloor elevator lobby

Days Inn Disintegrating exterior stairs

Days Inn Cracking interior walls

Our room #321 was missing the microwave oven when we checked in. The front desk was unable to locate a replacement or find a microwave that we could use to heat the hot pack we needed or to heat a late meal. The manager did have a microwave installed that next day.

Our room had exactly two threadbare stained bath towels and wash clothes. Since we are here for the United States Practical Shooting Association National Championships and would be spending the days outdoors in Illinois heat and humidity 2 showers a day are necessary so we were forced to re-use the marginal towels. Each day the towels were replaced by two equally threadbare and stained towels, which is more than I can say about the bed sheets. On Sept. 15 our room was not serviced. I notified the front desk for the second time that the sheets had not been changed since our arrival and the room had not been cleaned or the beds made this day, the front desk grudgingly gave us two towels and promised that the room would be serviced the next day. We arrived back at our room to find the bed remade with the same sheets that have been on the bed since our arrival on Sept. 11th.

The only working Ice Machine quit working on Sept. 13th.

I've stay in Motel 6's that were nicer and had better service. The elevator lobbies on all floors were filthy, littered with cigarette butts with standing water leaking out from under the bathroom wall on the second floor lobby. The washers and dryers are dirty with mold and mildew growing on the floor around them. The outside steps are missing most of the traction surfaces with many of the steps crumbling.

All I can say is that I am simply underwhelmed by the Quincy Days Inn and will never be staying at this or any other Days Inn.

Sincerely disappointed,

Nolan Smyth

Days Inn corporate reply:

Mr. Smyth,

Thank you for contacting the Days Inn Customer Service department concerning your stay at the Quincy, IL hotel. We sincerely apologize that the property did not meet your expectations of Days Inn's high standard of guest service. This property is independently owned and operated under a Days Inn franchise, and its management is responsible for meeting Days Inn standards.

The information you provided has been forwarded to the General Manager of this franchised hotel for review. Please allow a minimum of 7 business days for the General Manager to investigate your concern and respond.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. We place a high value on your continued patronage of Days Inn facilities, and we hope that you will stay with Days Inn again soon.

Sincerely,

James Myers

Customer Service Representative

Case #

2 weeks later I received this:

Days Inn

200 Maine Street

Quincy, Illinois 62301

Phone (217) 2236610

September 24, 2004

Dear Mr. Smyth:

Our success is measured by the satisfaction of our guests with their stay. At Days Inn, we strive to provide excellent service and accommodations at an affordable price. Thank you for taking the time to let me know where improvement is needed so that we may continue to maintain high standards

We have reviewed your comments from your stay at Days Inn-Quincy, and I would like to assure you that I have taken appropriate measures to address the concerns that you mentioned regarding your room. Your reservation did not request a microwave, only a refrigerator, but we did accommodate you with one. We do apologize for your room not being serviced on one occasion. However you did receive a 50% discount rate for your entire stay.(emphasis added by me) Again, we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

We consider you a valuable guest and we appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Please be aware that the unsatisfactory service you received was in no way typical of our establishment. In the future, we hope you will consider staying with Days Inn, and if you are in the Quincy area again, we hope that you give us another chance to show our usual hospitality.

We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention as well as your patience in working with us directly to resolve them. If we can be of any further assistance, please call or email us at executivehospitality@mchsi.com

Sincerely,

Chuck West

General Manager

Damn Nolan, you're a tough customer.

When I was in the military a buddy and I used to eat at the Denny's off post quite frequently. He would always bitch about the average food and boderline service. To which I would reply "Dude, it's Denny's"

Just messin' with you, sorry you had a bad experience. At least they replied to your complaints.

The Days Inn is the place you go to die.

I think Days Inn is the place you go to after you die, provided that you have led a bad life...

I stayed there the first time I shot at Quincy, 1998 I believe. It's not the worst hotel in the world but it's right up there in my opinion.

The Holiday Inn was definately worth the extra money, they even have a small gym there.

Service was first rate....

The Days Inn is the place you go to die.

I could find better places.

I'm a pretty rabid cigarette hater. If people want to smoke, fine, but I absolutely can't stand smelling like a cigarette myself. If I go to a bar, when I come home, I have to take a shower RIGHT NOW. My clothes go in the washer RIGHT NOW. It really bugs me.

I hated travelling in the Midwest. It's a major reason I may never go to Barry. Every time I went to the midwest, I'd have to play the same game: Reserve a non-smoking room. My idea of a non-smoking room is one which has not been smoked in. Fleabag motel operator's idea of non-smoking is a smoking room with the ashtray removed. I suffered once or twice, then I just started standing my ground. I would simply leave and go somewhere else. The sleazy manager would always protest and try to charge me. I'd tell them to stick it and if they tried to screw me, I'd protest the charges. If leaving meant driving 40 miles and paying another $50 a night, I just didn't care. I have a right as a human not to smell like an ashtray.

I have this dream where Heaven is a place I get to clobber a trailer-trash motel manager with a wiffle bat to my heart's content.

What a bunch of whiney crybabies! Why the hell didn't you stay at the Match hotel? Didn't want to pay the $70.00+ per room rate would be my guess. Thats why I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn. I stayed at the same run down DAZE INN y'all stayed in and I got exactly what I paid for just like you did. Don't expect $100.00 a night service when you pay $40.00 a night. Find a maid on your floor give her $5.00 and tell her she's pretty, clean room every day. Elevator stink? Take the stair's! It is a good way to warm up for the match, just air gunit on the way down. Can't put one foot in front of the other going down on bad concrete? I hope you are never on my squad.

We stayed in Quincy at the Comfort in. I think it was about $60 a night, room was cleaned everyday and they had a continental breakfast every morning. The entire hotel was nice and clean.

However, the only thing we didn't like was the fact that the only internet we could find was dial-up and it was basically useless. But that's not the hotels problem.

hahaha- i couldn't agree more, i stayed @ days inn for nationals too... that place smelled so bad... plus i had to slam my door soooo hard just to get it closed... any harder, im sure the windows would've shattered... other than that, i didn't mind the place, ive had worse--- especially at pretty big matches held in pretty small towns (bout 1/5 the size of quincy o_0)... haha

What a bunch of whiney crybabies! Why the hell didn't you stay at the Match hotel? Didn't want to pay the $70.00+ per room rate would be my guess. Thats why I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn. I stayed at the same run down DAZE INN y'all stayed in and I got exactly what I paid for just like you did. Don't expect $100.00 a night service when you pay $40.00 a night. Find a maid on your floor give her $5.00 and tell her she's pretty, clean room every day. Elevator stink? Take the stair's! It is a good way to warm up for the match, just air gunit on the way down. Can't put one foot in front of the other going down on bad concrete? I hope you are never on my squad.

Trust me I'm worse in person!

My biggest mistake was when I made the reservations, I confused the Holiday Inn with the Daze Inn. I remembered this really nice big hotel where we had the awards in 2001 and then looked at the Quincy street map, hmm must have been the Daze Inn. My mistake! Room descriptions and photos on the internet looked really good and I have a bunch of discount rate programs available to me so I booked the Daze Inn.

By the way I did tip the maid 10 bucks when we locked the keys in the room on the second morning. That was the last we saw of her, she must have taken a vacation on the extra money!

As for the stairs, pfff! I have a torn right ACL, I'm a vendor, plus have you ever seen my shooting RV, I mean cart?

Nolan

ps I've just requested that USPSA squad me with you at every major match next year!

We found out that local Days Inn's were franchised earlier this year. We stayed at one in Oregon for the MGM 3 Gun match and you could not have found a nicer, mid level priced motel. In fact, we have stayed there 2 years in a row.

So, when we went to a match in Las Cruces, NM several months ago, we booked a Days Inn. It was a dump, people wer actually placing towels under their doors to keep the smoke out. The outside parking lot was the neighborhood hangout for teenagers. Basically, it was a Motel 6 with a different paint job. After speaking to the Corporate office, we learned of the local franchising. I can only say, it pays to do a bit more investigation before booking a room, or stay at a company owned place Like Marriotts Courtyard or Holiday Inn, so there are no surprises.