Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barney Round

Tom C

I've been away from IDPA for some time and am coming back next month. Question about topping off (or the Barney round if yall prefer). Is there a problem with 1 and only 1 mag being loaded with 11 rounds so once the mag is seated and the slide cycled you are topped off and have 10 in the mag?

Thanks for the input. Since I'm coming over from USPSA I didn't want to bring any baggage that might be a problem. I agree about the practicle nature of loading 11 in the states where allowed. I do have a passel of 10 rounders from the Federal ban days so I'm prepared should something foolish happen.

I suggest you mark your leadoff magazine with 11 to distinguish it from reload magazines containing 10.

A paster on the floorplate will do well enough.

My Plastic M&P has a couple of rusted magazines from The Incident's house fire and I LAMR with them, figuring they will be less of a loss if stepped on than the nice black stainless mags unhurt by the fumes and water.

When I first started IDPA I was using my 1911, so I always had a Barney in the pocket. Now that I'm shooting a double-stack I have no need for the Barney. However, to avoid confusion I load all my mags to division capacity (8 rounds). This way I know that what's getting stored in the pouches are correct and I grab the 3rd for LAMR and drop in a 9th round. That goes in the pocket. When I step to the line, I check the first mag and verify 9 and verify 8 in the other 2.

I suggest you mark your leadoff magazine with 11 to distinguish it from reload magazines containing 10.

My Plastic M&P has a couple of rusted magazines from The Incident's house fire and I LAMR with them, figuring they will be less of a loss if stepped on than the nice black stainless mags unhurt by the fumes and water.

I was shooting USPSA so I did mark the basepads of my 11 rounders.. Your idea is a very good one as I've seen a number of shooters fumbling...AT THE LINE...because they grabbed the wrong mag(s).

I was shooting USPSA so I did mark the basepads of my 11 rounders.. Your idea is a very good one as I've seen a number of shooters fumbling...AT THE LINE...because they grabbed the wrong mag(s).

I bought the blue base plates for this very purpose. Now, there is no need to even think twice. Blue base plate is 11 rounds and all others are 10 rounds.

I bought the blue base plates for this very purpose. Now, there is no need to even think twice. Blue base plate is 11 rounds and all others are 10 rounds.

Cool...I'm a red kinda guy...do the come in red?

What gun are you shooting? If a Glock, I have only seen the black, blue and orange. See here : http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=190

What gun are you shooting? If a Glock, I have only seen the black, blue and orange. See here : http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=190

Yep...Glock 19. Guess Orange is not completely outta the question. (just kidding. Orange will make finding that mag pretty easy)

I barney up no matter what division I am shooting. Since IDPA has no individual walk throughs... using a barney to load and make ready gives me an extra minute to look over the stage from the start position and maybe one more chance to run through it in my head before the action starts.

I barney up no matter what division I am shooting. Since IDPA has no individual walk throughs... using a barney to load and make ready gives me an extra minute to look over the stage from the start position and maybe one more chance to run through it in my head before the action starts.

Yup,

Then you stick the Barney mag in the strong side pocket of the vest. :surprise:

So you don't make the mistake of using the wrong mag on a reload. :devil:

I use the same gun in IDPA and USPSA. I highlighted the 10 with white crayon on each magazine so I can quickly see how many rounds are in each magazine. My first magazine has 11 rounds in it which is kept in my strong side pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

I never load a magazine to 11 until I'm at the line, on deck, or similar. The first time my gun started unloaded at major match, I forgot to switch to a different starting magazine (I always started with the one marked 11) and got a PE.

I keep a few spare rounds in my pocket and top a magazine off before I load the gun.

Agreed. I load a 17-round mag with 111 rounds and start each stage that way, followed by 10-round mags on the belt. Easy, simple, and as the man said: practical.

I thought all mags used had to be of the same capacity. In ESP anyway it says "Competitors must use the same capacity magazines throughout the competiton"

Agreed. I load a 17-round mag with 111 rounds and start each stage that way, followed by 10-round mags on the belt. Easy, simple, and as the man said: practical.

I thought all mags used had to be of the same capacity. In ESP anyway it says "Competitors must use the same capacity magazines throughout the competiton"

By 'capacity', they mean 'number of rounds in the magazine when you start the COF'. Since the 11th round will be in the chamber where it belongs, no problem loading the first mag to 11 rounds.

that rule is meant to keep people from switching back and forth between (for example) 7 and 8 round 1911 magazines, depending on when they want to hit slidelock.

There are all kinds of bizarre and annoying rules that all stem from the desire to make people shoot to slidelock but not allow them any creativity in doing so.

Edited by motosapiens