Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap USPSA

Ccnati

Go to a match with a gun, holster and mag pouches and shoot it.

You probably already have an appropriate firearm, got a single stack 1911, or a typical police officer semi auto like a Glock, S&W, or Springfield? You know, one of the plastic fantastics available.

Doesn't take much money.

Just like Chris said. Just get out there with any gun with some mags. I started with my carry gun, g17, and four mags. It was all stock and prolly the cheapest holster/mag pouches money could buy and I had a blast. It let me get a feel for the sport and see how much money I wanted to dump into it. Good luck and have fun.

I've been doing this for 3 years. I started with what I had which was an xd in 40. If you have a pistol already that will be the cheapest way to start. Depending on how much you shoot will really drive your cost. What I call durable consumables are big 1 time cost, but match fees, ammo, gas and miscellaneous cost will add up over the course of a year.

"Cheap" is relative so just depends if you are starting from scratch or already have some gear. Plus if you shoot volume like I do then you got to get into reloading. So from my perspective nothing about shooting is cheap. It just cost what it cost.

Hey, I'm looking into USPSA style competition. I am new to competitive shooting an am wondering what the cheapest way to get started is. Any advice is great. Thanks in advance,

Caleb

A gun that can be used in multiple divisions. (If I had to do over would get Glock 35)

Good Adjustable Sights (look at Dawson Precision)

Get a CR Speed or DAA belt. ( You'll benefit from it now and use it long after you're addicted)

Start Reloading immediately if you don't already

I don't reload, the only gun that would possibly work is my dad's S&W .40, but I don't like it. For it we have a little flap of cloth that holds the gun (loosely) and 2 10rd mags. I would prefer to get a 9mm something, but because I'm 14 I gots no money...

The range where I shoot has a rental rack and holds two informal steel matches where you can start at low ready if you don't have a holster. If you can find something like that I suggest you and your dad go check it out and make some friends. Chances are good someone will let you borrow a spare rig for the next match.

I have been kinda thinking about getting a Glock 34 or 17... I have a belt that can support a weapon but its not a gun belt. As far as ammo goes if it wet an AR match is be good, as I have a military surplus ammo belt for m-4/16 mags. I got it for airsoft an have used it 2 times... It will securely hold a pistol though. Just not pistol mags.

Ok well since your only 14 your kinda out of luck unless your parents are going to support you in your quest to shoot USPSA.

I would look at an M&P9 pro, Glock 19-34, or if your really spoiled a CZ shadow.

10 round mags are fine for any pistol in 9mm since your limited to basically production.

So like the others have said you need a holster, belt, mag holders, and at least 4 mags. I carry 5 mags on every stage but 4 will usually work.

Well my dad's theory is: you get the money and tell me what to buy... So I do plan on mowing lawns this summer. Hopefully this time next year I will have the equipment.

When you visit your local club(s), ask if they would like help setting up / tearing down stages. Most of the clubs that I know will let you shoot at a discount or free. You will also learn about stages from the experienced folks and also get an early look at the stages for the match! ;) Even if there is no discount, you can still learn a lot!

Have Fun,

Chuck

Going to your local clubs is a great start. The shooting community is one if the nicest you will ever join. People are really approachable and most do not mind showing their equipment.

Production division is most likely what you should be looking into getting started. You can use almost any pistol off if the shelf. Your gonna need about $600-700 to get everything you need to compete if you find a good deal on a pistol. Pick up 5 mags and then a set of mag holders along with a kydex holster. That should set you up nice.

The people at your local matches will probably have a full set up for sale or you can piece a kit together pretty easy. I know myself I have 2 full production set ups along with a left handed set up.

Have you gone to the following web sites USPSA, Steel Challenge, and IDPA to see what clubs might be in your area? They might have programs for junior shooters, e.x. loaner/rental equipment, cheaper match fees and the like.

At my club we typically can get folks loaner equipment so they can get their feet wet, see what they like, before speeding money on gear.

I know Steel Challenge is not like USPSA, but it's fun and you can shoot a .22, something you can't do in USPSA.

Edited by jdphotoguy

As a lefty, you still have options on the gun even if you can't find one that's got ambi controls. You can release the slide overhand instead of using the slide catch lever, and you can release the mag with your trigger finger instead of your thumb. I know some people who are right-handed and switched the mag release to the right side because they like using their trigger finger more than their thumb.

You may be able to borrow the gear for a match (or a few), to try it and see how you like it. You also may be able to get some used gear form people on the forum (like belt, mag pouch,...). Ask some folks at the range.

As a lefty, you still have options on the gun even if you can't find one that's got ambi controls. You can release the slide overhand instead of using the slide catch lever, and you can release the mag with your trigger finger instead of your thumb. I know some people who are right-handed and switched the mag release to the right side because they like using their trigger finger more than their thumb.

I'm fine with releasing the slide overhand, but I hate slide release with my trigger finger.

I'm fine with releasing the slide overhand, but I hate slide release with my trigger finger.

Did you mean mag release? I wasn't suggesting using the slide release with your trigger finger. That could be quite awkward.

I am a lefty and find that the mag release is easier to operate with my trigger finger. I have owned pistols with ambi mag releases and still find it easier to operate with the trigger finger.

A great place to start is with a police trade in glock 17... it can be turned into a gun for several different divisions after that as time and money allows. Police trade ins are carried alot, and shot a little, so mechanically they are usually in good shape, even if they look a little rough.