Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short gas systems in AR's

BigDave

What is the disadvantage (if any) of the shorter gas system in the 16" carbines and dissapator type AR rifles (.223, just to be clear)?  

If someone wanted a shorter OAL AR rifle, what might the problem be with taking a standard 20" gun with the full length gas system and cutting off 2-4" to make a 16" or 17" gun with the full length system?  We've discussed here at length the problem some folks have of making minor with 55gr loads and 16" barrels, would the longer gas system decrease that chance (in the situation I mentioned above?).

AR newbie has no clue (as if you couldn't tell)

the shorter 16" guns are much harsher .[ recoil felt & sight picture] than the 20". shorting the 20" barrel will result in short stoking of bolt from loss of gas. you can enlarge gas port till it work's, but why. most all really good shooters use 20" because it is better.

i consider myself educated now, should have visualized the gas system and answered my own question.

Thanks Benny!!!

feel free to keep posting Benny!!! Lynn, we need all the help we can get here!!!

Guest Dick W Holliday

i think my dissapator bushy has the same system you're describing and mine has never missed a beat and come to think of it niether have my 16" carbines.....Dick

Dick is correct - the dissipators have full length gas systems which are more reliable/less harsh than the shorties. Check out the add in Small Arms Review (Class III rag) for an ad about the "pigtail" gass system for shorty ARs; itsa corkscrew shaped full length gas tube for shorties to assure reliable cycling in full auto (not that you would want that for 3gun). but it makes the point.

The Dissaptor gas system is in the same location as the carbine gas system.  What makes the Dissaptor different is the full length iron sights as compared to the carbine.

(Edited by Mig at 8:35 am on Jan. 27, 2003)

Gas port location has nothing to do with bullet velocity, therefore it would not affect the 16" barrel's ability to make minor.   Each inch of length cutoff from the 20" inch barrel is worth roughly -100 fps, you do the math.

Kelly:

Heavy shmevy; heavy and .224 bullets should NOT be mentioned in the same sentence. My 45-90 Winchester 86 throws HEAVY bullets...505gr, and the .50s even more. I am NOT opposed to 62s, 69s, 75s, 77s, even 80s and beyond. ALL I AM SAYING is for the distances involved in 3 gun matches it is not a huge difference!! I know Natinal match shooters Love these things but remeber they don't move, the target doesn't move, they are allowed spoters, wind flags, and spoting scopes. I have seen a derth of these things at 3 gun matches

As for short gas systems, the gas velocity that impinges on the carrier key is much higher in the shorties making opening sooner and carrier velocity higher. If the chamber is "right" and the brass isn't soft like some cheap ball ammo your ok, but it is right on the edge and some guns just have problems with this length of gas system.                                           KURT

How much diffrence? I was shooting a 16 with Bennies comp and thought it was slick, well we were practicing one day and I picked up Bennies rifle, next day was new barrel time. Really noticeable diffrence, rifle is much smoother. Lynn, Bennie is on a diet, I had lunch with him today(lunch is a Bennie specialty) and  he is alive and well.                                        Larry

Benny:

Leave your foot alone and start practicing. Jimmie is shooting open this year at Mesa and I happened to get him a Trijicon ride!! This of course dosen't change the fact that we all also shoot for Triangle Sports, but nuke stuff is cool!! see ya ina month!!!     KURT  ( I got apple juice!!)

Guys,

FWIW, I just chrono'ed some South African battlepack and some Q3131A yesterday through my 16" dissipator. The SA went 3,030 fps for a 167 pf and the 3131A went 3,075 fps for a 169 pf. The Winchester burns cleaner and is slightly more accurate in my rifle, but the SA is cheaper.

In addition to the shorter gas systems being more "load finicky," IME they are a tad more finicky on extraction. The harsher, more abrubt rearward movement of the bolt may tend to rip the ejector, especially if it isn't perfectly fitted, through or off the rim.

be

(bet you never thought you'd see me postin' in this forum.)

:-0

Regarding 16" barrels making minor:

American Eagle 50 Gr. 2948 147 PF

American Eagle 55 Gr. 2923 160 PF

PMC 55 Gr. 2609 143 PF

Black Hills 52 Gr 2978 155 PF

Wolf 2853 157 PF

All shot through a BM 16" V-Match.  I later tried IMI 55 gr NATO and it easily made minor

• 2 months later...
I later tried IMI 55 gr NATO and it easily made minor

There's the key. Shoot something that is M193 spec (and IMI 55gr and IMI manufactured Winchester Q3131A definitely are M193 in every way!) and you won't have problems. You should be able to make minor with a 14.5 inch M4 barrel too. But all rifles are different, eh?

Some of the "factory" 55gr is just downright wimpy.