Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open vs. limited dilemma

DrLove

Ok, so I have a dilemma.

I’m getting some extra cash soon and I want to buy a new STI. The problem is, I’m not fully decided between open or limited. I mean the difference in $$$ is not that large and I think I can afford both.

let me give you some background first. I’ve been shooting USPSA for about a year, mainly production or limited with XDM5.25. I want to join the big boys and buy a new STI. The confusing part is what should I shoot. Get a great limited gun like the Aperio and shoot limited like it’s meant to be or buy and open gun like the GM and get into the dark side of things!!

Factors to consider are how useful will each be. I shoot USPSA, 3gun, and IDPA (but ignore IDPA for now as I just shoot my M&P there anyway).

So question will be between USPSA and 3gun.

Help with my dilemma???

Open is alot more fun than iron sights. Plus you can shoot USPSA/ 3Gun with your XDm. so get something different...go Open

so one for open. Anyone for limited Aperio or custom edge maybe? I have to say I'm very interested in open too but it will be very different from everything I've been doing and not sure if I ready for it. Maybe hte other question is, you guys shooting open, has it been affecting your ability to go back to limited/production?

The hard chrome on a custom gun is $300.00 extra. If you send your gun off to have it chromed it is $250.00 plus shipping. So the Grand Master is about the same price considering the extras you get. You may want to look for a used custom open gun and spend the rest of the money on a reloader if you don't have one or components if you do. Open guns eat alot. If you don't want to reload do not get into open.

Personally I like iron sights better than dots, so I'd vote for a limited gun, but my preferences in shooting should make little difference :)

A couple of questions that might be worth considering...

Do you want to shoot 2 different platforms for 3gun and uspsa? If not, do you have shotgun/rifle setup for open? If not, you might want to consider limited just to go with your 3gun division.

Do you have a press and all the toys set up to make 9/38super whatever your choice for open major? Can't pick that ammo up at walmart. Not necessarily something to disuade you from Open, but definitely should consider in the total cost/effort. Factor in chrono cost and time too.

How are your eyes? Talk to lots of folks that fall in love with the dot just because its easier to see. Might be very attractive if you feel like your eyes aren't as young as they once were.

As to actual purchase choices once you pick a division, look real hard at total cost. On a stock STI you're likely to want a mag well, solid guide rod, and a trigger job right out of the gate. Maybe tack on a sideways mount and a slide racker for the open variety. Compare where you think you'd be at with some of the very nice custom pieces found regularly for sale here in the classifieds with all the work done for you, or something from one of the major builders in the same price range new (thinking dawson CRP, brazos sc etc).

Not saying you'll need all the toys listed immediately or eventually, but its definitely worth considering what you think you might want.

-424D57

I have been shooting single stack mostly since the mid 80's. A few years in limited then back to the single stack and production. Just recently a really nice trubor (9 major) worked over by Eddie Garcia fell into my lap. I am having more fun then ever before, my eyes aren't as good anymore so the dot is nice to see, however having shot irons forever, the dot movement takes a bit of getting use too.

Working up Major loads has been fun and figuring out what the gun likes to shoot the best is challenging compared to 9minor, .45 and .40.. Remembering to turn off the dot and changing batts has been a pain, but Im working on it.

Most of all the dang thing just wants to run....fast.....I have to focus more on accuracy and being more visual with the dot than with irons (I originally had thought it would be the other way around, maybe cause ive shot irons for so long).....the dot is just always there jiggling somewhere on the target, the finger wants to always press, press , press.....the thing is snappy and comes alive I really like it, awesome.

GO OPEN....but it requires a lot of homework and ammo......

I've been shooting USPSA for about 3 years now. Most of that has been with an XDm40 5.25. Here are my thoughts: I made B class November last year with the gun bone stock. This year I spent a few bucks on a mag well, a heavy guide rod and a trigger job and my XDm is good to go as a limited gun for a good long while. It's reliable, easy to maintain and the mods were cheap enough and haven't affected the reliability of the gun at all. I made myself a deal that I will shoot this gun until I make Master, at which point I will "treat myself" to a nice 1911. At that point I will have to decide whether that 1911 will be an open gun or a Limited gun, but my point is that the XDm is every bit the gun you need to shoot all the way to that point, in my opinion. I would take some of the advice above...buy a press if you don't have one and start reloading. Shoot every chance you get and burn your XDm up. By the time you wear it out, you'll be much more prepared to shoot with the big boys in Open class if you decide to go that route, or you'll be able to take advantage of the finesse of a 1911 built for Limited.

My 0.02.

ok, so I guess open it is, I wanted that too:)

question is, should I go with a TruBor or a GM for the looks? Is it worth the $500 difference?

I love all the posters who keep addressing your original post :roflol: The second I saw this thread I knew what your answer would be!

There are two kinds of shooters in this sport: those draw to Open and those turned off by it; if you're the former and you can afford it, you do it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

id also look at getting a custom and waiting over a stock sti. freedomgunworks can make a full custom build for about the same price as a gm. mine should be done soon.

Open is a blast (pun intended), but limited is too...in a different manner. Neither is the wrong answer.

I would never buy a hard chromed gun until you have shot it quite a bit and determined what (if anything) needs to be changed. For example: changing out the beavertail, additional slide lightning, etc.