Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So you want to be an RO...

I work a lot of matches each year. I serve as the MD for 12 club matches and work another 5-6 "majors" as a RO. However that only accounts for about one third of the matches I attend as a competitor. Over the last few years of working and shooting, basically since I learned to look at a match with more than just a competitors perspective, I have formed some pretty strong opinions about what makes a good Range Officer.

First and foremost we need a system to train match staff. It doesn't have to be as rigid and formal as the USPSA/NROI system, but someone needs to step up and offer some instruction for 3gun ROs. I'm looking at you 3GN, Rockcastle, Mark, JJ, etc set up some classes, something. We need a national standard for Range Officers, even if the rules are going to be different.

This guide isn't intended to address being a timer stand at your local club match. I'm sure your MD can lock you on as to how he wants the match run. This is for people interested in staffing "Major" matches. The same principles apply but at a club match where people are learning I am more than happy for someone who has never touched a timer to be a Range Officer. When I've traveled 1000 miles, spent $3000, and points are on the line I'm not so forgiving.

The rest of this guide is broken down into specific topics, and remember it's just my way of doing things, not the only way.

PreMatch:

1. When you decide you want to work a match email the MD. If you don't know them personally include several references. I always use MD's from other major matches I've worked.

2. Read and understand the rules for that particular match. Line by line, word by word, like you're studying for a test. Not a cursory once over and "I got this".

3. If it's a match you've never attended watch video of previous years, read old forum posts, etc. Recon never hurts as a competitor or an official.

4. Pack everything you can to make yourself comfortable. Extra hats, clothes, shoes, etc. You don't want to chase 300 shooters around rockcastle in the same baseball cleats you wore to shoot. Also, a comfortable chair and a pop up shelter if you have one. Rain gear, chairs, sunscreen, bug spray, chap stick, snacks, etc.

5. Drinks, make sure you have enough water on hand at all times. Some facilities will provide basic water coolers. However, at any given time if I see a shooter red in the face I always have enough water on hand to share. You are responsible for the safety of the competitors that includes heat casualties.

6. First Aid, I keep enough first aid equipment in my trunk at all times to treat everything from a mosquito bite to a gunshot wound. You will be the 1st responder if something happens. Have an emergency plan. Let the other match staff working your stage know what it is and what their responsibilities include.

While Shooting with Staff:

1. Know that you are not going to be able to give your best performance. Just accept it and give up any ideas of setting the world on fire while shooting with staff.

2. Hustle. The staff is usually trying to go as fast as possible, while adjusting the stages and insuring the match is set up properly. Don't be the guy that doesn't set steel. We will put you on a stage with long runs and no shade...

3. Ask every dumb ass question you can on the stages. This helps the MD and ROs for the stage iron out any wrinkles before the main match starts. It is much easier to reshoot 12 ROs than 12 squads because someone found a way to shoot something standing on their head.

4. You will often times find yourself serving as a RO even while shooting with staff. Someone has to hold the timer. Don't coach, talk, joke, etc. You should treat the person shooting just like you will people in the main match. Even if its Bob you rode down with and he will come in 12th in a class with 11 shooters.

5. Make sure you have the phone number of everyone who is working on your stage and the MD and RM/RMs. Even if you have radios.

Match Days:

1. Be early to your stage. Check everything, make sure you have enough pasters, paint, staples, extra targets, rain bags, clays, etc to get you though your day. Also, walk to stage and make sure none of the targets have been moved. I often times take pictures on my phone of my stage in the morning before any competitors have come through. That way I can make sure every target is in the right place for every shooter. Check your timer now, make sure you know how it works, understand any par times, and have spare batteries.

2. Get completely set up before the first shooters are scheduled to arrive. There will always be someone up at the crack of dawn walking the stage, you can't help that, but you should be completely set up before the end of the shooters meeting.

3. Divide up your responsibilities based on experience and comfort. If it's someones first major as an RO maybe let them run the clipboard all match. With a more experienced team you can switch off every squad, or whatever makes you happy. However, the SAME person should read the stage brief for every squad.

4. Lead the squads. It's entirely up to the RO if a stage is going to run on time. You are going to have to tell the competitors to turn their score sheets in, reload guns, etc. Don't sit around and wait on a squad, if they have a designated start time I will start the walk through no less than 2 mins after that time. And only then if someone on the squad asks me to wait. If you're late you're late. I'll let you read the brief and ask any questions provided they do not slow me down. It is the competitors responsibility to be on the stage on time by waiting you are doing a disservice to everyone else and encouraging people to be late.

5. Use your command voice. You can be polite and respectful but you need to tell the shooters what you want them to do and when you want them to do it. Tell them where to put their score sheets, where the preload table is, and then call them off the stage for the stage brief. Don't be bashful most people will listen.

Stage Brief:

1. The stage brief should always be read by the same person, and as close to the same way as possible. With no deviations from what is written by the MD or stage designer

2. Read it slowly, and make sure everyone can hear you. If people are talking or otherwise causing a disturbance stop them before you proceed.

3. At the end of the brief inform the shooters that you will answer any direct questions and start a timer to accurately count down their walk through time. I will often notice no one walking the stage and say, "you guys have 1:21 left but if everyone is ready we can get started"... if 1 person wants that time you give it to him. Don't rush anyone's walk through.

4. After the brief has been read, call out the entire shooting order to the squad. That way they know when to shoot and you can catch they guy who didn't turn in a sheet.

5. When your timer goes off, I use my iphone, call the shooters off the stage. That's it walk throughs are done. If they want to see where the targets are they can walk down and look when they set and paste.

6. Preload tables. Make sure you show the competitors where the preload table/area is, inform them how you want them to preload, and what condition you want their gun in. My usual guidance is "Empty Chambers, preload at will".

Shooting:

1. Let everyone know you are going to commence shooting. "Going Hot, Eyes and Ears!" Is usually my first range command but anything will do as long as it lets the guy at his truck who isn't paying attention know to put his ear pro on.

2. Range commands, beginning of cof. There is no standard in 3gun but simple is better. I start with, "Make Ready", means just that, take your sight pictures, turn your optics on, load your guns, and assume the start position. While the shooter is in the process of making ready I will reassert the start position with something like, "Port arms, heels on marks, let me know when you're ready"... they give me a nod or tell me their ready... "Standby"... "Beep". Some international shooters don't respond when they are ready, they will assume the start position, you ask them "Shooter Ready?", if they don't respond that means they are ready, "Standby"... "Beep".

3. Range commands, during cof. The only things you should say to a shooter during the cof are "Hit" and "Stop". I will address coaching later but for 99% of situations you stop them or call a hit that's all. I have also used, "You're on the clock" to let someone know that yes I see they broke their gun and no I'm not going to stop. Or "No" as a response to did I hit xxx, but I'll only answer if it's a target I call hits on.

4. Range commands, end of cof. "If you are finished unload and show clear" is usually what I use. Anything similar is fine. Don't be the guy the stresses IF for your buddy when he misses a target. You should say it the same every time for everyone. Check the guns to make sure they are clear, then "Slide, Hammer, Holster" I usually do not make competitors dry fire long guns but I do ask that they lock them to the rear. If you have designated a 2nd RO or even a competitor to clean abandoned guns look to them for a thumbs up, or other sign, before calling the range clear. I usually say, "Range Clear, set it up" to motivate my setters and pasters.

5. During the cof your responsibility is safety. Secondary to that you are to enforce the rules of the game and asses penalties as appropriate. Simply, if the choice is between watching a muzzle in a dangerous corner or watching a foot for a fault always choose the muzzle.

6. Reshoots. If you have a range equipment failure, ie a prop doesn't activate something correctly, stop the competitor immediately and reset the stage. Don't make them waste their ammo and energy. If you are going to offer a reshoot at the end of a stage, ie a plate or clay wasn't set or fell during the cof without being shot, do so immediately after calling the range clear and before the competitor has a chance to hear his time or score the targets. I usually say, "I know that clay was down, I'm going to give you the hit for it, would you like a reshoot?"... they say no or yes and then you go about scoring and resetting. The 3rd situation you may find yourself in is a competitor asking for a reshoot/refusing to sign a score sheet. Call the RM/MD as appropriate and let them deal with it. If it's a scoring issue pull the target, replace it, and keep shooting.

7. DQs. Stop the shooter immediately! If you let them shoot another 10 targets and then say they were unsafe 45secs ago we have a problem. You have to stop someone at the instant of the infraction. Don't be afraid to stop someone, if you're wrong you just give them a reshoot and go on, it's always best to err on the side of safety Also, don't apologize etc. It's not your fault they DQ'd themselves. Just call the MD/RM, tell them what you saw (not what you think you saw) and go on about your day. You have to treat every shooter the same when it come's to DQs, you can't send one guy home for his muzzle getting to 181 but let your buddy who hits 182 off with a warning. It's one of the hardest things you have to do as an RO but the guy you saw on TV, and the guy who just thought he'd try 3gun, and your practice partner/best friend have to be treated exactly the same.

8. Calling Hits. You should designate one RO to call hits. Usually, I prefer to let the person with the timer do it as they are closer to the shooter and easier to hear. However, sometimes you will need binos, spotting scopes, etc. Remember, if you call hit, or even mumble something that sounds like hit... they get the hit. I know I have given away at least 1 free hit in my day, sometimes you just make a mistake, see a splash or mirage, etc.

After Shooting:

1. Setting and pasting is the biggest time drain during a match. You will have to stay on top of squads to keep them working and at a good pace. I usually designate the scorekeeper/clipboard person as the wrangler of setters. Have them setting and pasting before the COF is even over if you can do it safely. Remind them that you will be happy to hand out procedurals to people that don't work. Most squads will police themselves but if they don't its up to you.

2. Preload Tables. We covered this a little earlier but you need to keep an eye on the preload table in between shooters as well. Competitors will walk in front of a table full of loaded guns, change chokes, change their load, etc. You need to insure its all being done safely.

3. If you have the timer in your hand you should be near the end of the cof. Go to a point past the furthest target, turn and look up range. That way you can be the last person back to the top of the stage and insure there is no one down range, and all targets are set/pasted correctly.

4. Make sure the squads clean up after themselves. Pick up trash and shotgun hulls. Police up the area, and generally leave it nicer than you found it. The range is kind enough to let us use their facility make sure you don't leave a bad taste in their mouth. I usually let the last squad of the day know its cleanup time before they leave.

Coaching/Etiquette/Misc:

1. Coaching by a competitor is never allowed. Warn them if you think it was an accident, from time to time someone will just get excited and let a correction on a long rifle target slip etc. If you have an inexperienced shooter it is on the ROs discretion to help them with a gun issue, I will always help if the competitor cannot make the weapon safe. However, you should never tell them where targets are or point out things they missed.

2. Cheating, or coaching with the intent to cheat. It is inexcusable and I will do my very best to see the shooter and "coach" get a match DQ. I have seen videos of very experienced competitors shooting and someone yells out "Armageddon" or whatever the code word is to let them know they missed a target. If its blatant, intentional, and potentially changes the outcome of the match you need to inform the MD/RM immediately.

3. Altering the target and/or the stage is not allowed. This includes moving targets, stands, props, shooting boxes, trimming trees or brush, etc. Call the RM/MD.

4. You should never argue with a competitor, get in a fight, etc. Be polite and professional and call the MD/RM at any sign of trouble.

5. Remember you are essentially in the customer service department of the match. Be helpful, give directions, be friendly etc. You don't have to be a grumpy old man to run a good match, it should be fun for you as well as the competitors

6. If you're unsure about anything ask. It is much better to get the RM/MD over and ask a question than to allow 3 squads to do something they shouldn't have been able too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I forgot:

1. Physically walk the stage with your squad if it has movement in it beyond your sight from the start position. Show them targets, fault lines, 180 notes, etc. Do this before you start their time and open the floor to questions. I will generally not take or answer questions during this time and encourage the airgunners to hurry up so they can see everything. This is not a time for them to game plan, they can pay attention or not, but don't let them distract the other competitors.

2. From the time you say make ready until the shooter indicates he's ready let him do his thing. If he wants to draw, or dry fire, or take a sight picture let him. As long as he doesn't flag anyone or send a round downrange its his time to handle his gear and load his firearms. Regardless of when he has inserted a magazine, closed the bolt, chambered a round, etc. You're about to let him actually shoot the targets, taking a sight picture on one with a loaded gun is no big deal as long as all the safety rules are followed.

3. Also, when answering shooters questions, always try and refer back to the stage description if you can. If the stage description reads "all targets must be engaged from within the fault lines"... simply responding to the question, "Can I shoot this from here?" with "are you inside the fault lines?" followed up with "does that answer your question?" is the best way in my mind to answer that question without even appearing to coach and by applying the same methodology to everything else you're asked you can insure you give the same information to every competitor. The best way to answer specific 180 questions is have the shooter show you the position they want to shoot from and the target they want to shoot. Then its a simple yes or no.

4. It's inevitable that you will have friends come through the stage. Talk to them, be there friend, ask them how their match is going. But from make ready to ulsc you have to treat them exactly the same as everyone else. I will often walk stages with my friends on my own time, but when you're buddy bob comes up to you on your stage on match day you have to resist the urge to tell him his plan is flawed.

5. Someone will always ask you if it's ok to "burn" rounds. Remind them that as long as they follow all the safety rules and keep their muzzle in a safe direction they are more than happy to shoot as much as they want. I generally tell people to do it "sensibly" and that usually works. That way you don't have to explain to the MD/RM/Range Owner why you told Billy Bob it was ok to pop a round off in the air because he had a different understanding of what "burning" rounds means.

Edited by ClutchUSMC

I know they have one in Raton... but they are going to have to take that show on the road... I can't make it out to Raton for their matches let alone an RO class.

And too do it on my own dime? I mean I love the sport and I don't mind giving back but 1 class once a year in Raton isn't enough.

I appreciate everything Denise and JJ do... I know how much work it is to pull off the events they do and I can't imagine undertaking it personally. One of the thing our sport needs to evolve is better officials. They recognize it in their own matches and started training ROs... now how do we get that nationwide?

These are some great guidelines and I absolutely agree that we need improvement. However, I think the current NROI Level 1 seminar with the added 4 hour Multigun segment goes a long way towards that goal. I've attended this class twice with 2 different instructors (I have an endless capacity for procrastination when it comes to renewal exams). There was very little difference between what they taught and what you've listed in the posts above. You might find that you have more in common with the "USPSA" standards for running a stage than you think.

I'm not going to try to convince y'all that USPSA is everything the Multigun sport needs it to be 'cause it isn't (though it's way closer than it used to be). I just don't see any other organization that is anywhere close to offering the training you describe on a national level. The 3GunNation crew is a possibility but I don't know if they have the resources.

Tyler, I agree, great summary.

First comment... USPSA/NROI is probably the best base from which to start for RO training. There is consistency in the ruleset and most of the "outlaw" rulesets are generally close at least on the safety portions. However, a lot of your post covers being "professional" and "self sufficient." If you are staff, you should bring your copy of the rules to the match with you!

Second, there are a bunch of ROs out there that continue to work matches who really have no business working as an official. When MDs keep bringing them back, that says something. ROs who can not keep up with the top competitors, who don't understand customer service, the game, the rules or who like to "catch" competitors should be gone to never darken a range again. IMHO, the best ROs are those who are also competent competitors.

Some additional comments directed at the Tyler's original summary.

PreMatch:

If you want to work a match, be honest with the MD/RM about your skills/physical limitations etc. Saying you can do something you can not just leaves everyone in a pickle. All volunteers, provided you really are giving back to the sport, are welcome and there is always a position for someone who wants to work. But not all are capable of being an RO/CRO.

As for First Aid, yes, you should, as an RO, be aware, especially of heat exhaustion. However, your job is to run the stage first. The MD/RM should have the responsibility of identifying a match medic and letting all staff know who it is and how to get that person to a needed location ASAP. The safety "plan" is the responsibility of the MD. If of course, you are trained and willing, let the MD know so he can utilize that skillset if needed.

Shooting as Staff:

I have taken an alternate path. I do believe staff can shoot at a high level if the MD wants them to. I utilized 4 or 5 competitors (who then had a few days to refresh) and some local range volunteers to set up. When the staff showed up, they shot. I did not tell staff which stage they were working and I did not rush them through. There was enough slack time in the schedule that thy were not rushed. Looking at scores, the match staff generally shot at, and in some cases above, their normal scores. As the RM, I did a normal walk-through for staff and then ran the first two shooters. I had a non-shooting staffmember keep score. Then I went to the next stage and made sure the poppers were right, the paper marked and the stage ready to go. I then photographed each stage from multiple angles. The general consensus from the staff was that they really liked this method and felt like a normal squad of shooters, not guinea-staff.

Match Days:

The RM should be called for anything that has "blown" down or moved or needs to be tweaked or set. A good RM will have looked at all of the stages (and photographed them already) so that he/she can ensure that the stage has not been changed.

Another thing that comes from the RM is the support. This includes encouraging the staff and telling the staff to be polite, but don't let yourself be subject to abuse from a competitor and NEVER get in an argument with a competitor. If there is a disagreement, call the RM and set it aside and go back to running the stage.

Stage Brief:

ALWAYS THE SAME. Don't add or subtract AT ALL. This includes telling competitors what other shooters have done or not done, giving special little pieces of advice, etc. For questions, read the relevant portion of the stage brief again. If there is not an answer in the stage brief, you should really ask the RM unless it is obvious.

I tell my staff to let the squad set their shooting order and just take the scoresheets as they hand them to you. When all stages do it the same way, then it works.

Pre-Load...the MD/RM should tell you the pre-load conditions and it is up to them to make it consistent across the match. This is another area when the RO should not ad-lib. Only do what the MD/RM instructs.

Shooting:

Ranges are not "safe", but the line or stage can be "clear". Yes, "Eyes and Ears, Going Hot" is appropriate. After that...

For every competitor...same thing. If it is not written down, it should be and it should be consistent across all stages. The shorter and more concise, the better. The USPSA format is the most consistent and easily understood. We have the potential of foreign competitors, new shooters, hard of hearing shooters etc.

1. Make Ready

2. Are you Ready

3. Standby

4. Start (usually a "beep")

5. If you are finished, unload and show clear.

6. If clear, hammer down, holster(depending on weapon type and or multiples)

7. Range is clear.

The ONLY other things said between 1 and 7 should be "STOP", "hit", "finger" and "muzzle" if warranted. Never call misses and call hits consistently.

Reshoots... I have to pause here. We have cash and integrity on the line and I have seen more than one top shooter tanking a stage create a reshoot condition on purpose, and then go on to ace the reshoot. If it is not obvious, check with the RM before issuing a re-shoot. The RM has to instruct the ROs what to do for some outlaw match rulesets, but in USPSA, it is pretty clear. The shooter does not "get" a free target in USPSA if it was not set.

DQs should be issued by the RO and the rule number written on the scoresheet. Too many matches have become lax and some MDs feel they are the only ones who can issue DQs. As an RO, make sure you understand how the command structure is organized and stay within the boundaries set by the MD/RM. I will certainly listen to a competitor, but the rulesets I will use are clear that the RO issues the DQ and must record the rule number.

I agree that the USPSA classes make a great baseline. Here's the problem I see with them, I have been trying since about 2008 to take one. None have been held within 100 miles of my home either in NC or KY. So on top of the fee for the class, I'm paying to travel and stay overnight. I shot exactly 2 uspsa matches last year, the AR Sectional Multigun and a local club match. So now I pay my $40 a year for the magazine and spend another $200 on an RO class? So that I can take 4 hours of instruction on how to do something I have 100s of hours of experience in? I work with the same people at most matches, unless I RO somewhere out of my area, lots of 3gunners could care less about USPSA and aren't even members. And I'm pretty sure for every 5 USPSA RO classes, when you can find them, maybe 1 offers multigun. It's still a great baseline but it's not realistically available to us right now.

I wholeheartedly agree with this entire comment, couldn't have said it better myself:

" Second, there are a bunch of ROs out there that continue to work matches who really have no business working as an official. When MDs keep bringing them back, that says something. ROs who can not keep up with the top competitors, who don't understand customer service, the game, the rules or who like to "catch" competitors should be gone to never darken a range again. IMHO, the best ROs are those who are also competent competitors."

MD's in multigun tend to do their own thing and sometimes that means we bring in a guy from home that hasn't really shot much in a few years but he still wants to RO. However, I have been on the opposite end of this spectrum as well. 2012 Benelli shotgun match, 24 Stages, 4 Days, 110 Degrees, and 9 ROs. We all ended up working alone with several of us having multiple stages to run.

Bottom line... if you don't take care of your ROs you wont get enough and you wont get quality shooters. You should at a minimum provide your ROs with a match fee, place to stay, and food during the event. As a competitor I never mind when I see special guns or prizes just for ROs, although don't expect this if you sign up to work sometimes you'll even have to buy the match tshirt. You see guys go win guns at ozark for working, or wearing their nice techwear shirts a blue ridge... its those things, actually taking care of your staff that allows you to build a great crew. At the end of the day the match fee and half a hotel room aren't enough to make me even break even on missing the extra work. I actually lose money to RO matches and I know plenty of other guys that do as also.

For example, last year I worked the TF Dagger match. Great cause, hits home with me, saw the match and asked if they needed help. They paid half my entry fee, and put me up in a cabin with no hot water, no toilet, no television, etc. Just plywood walls and a rack. I showed up, MD had been fired weeks earlier, IT guy running the match, no one knew what the hell was going on, and the staff for day 1 was me, a seasoned uspsa shooter (3gun rookie), and 2 local cops who came to help out but had never even seen a match. 2nd day of the match squads RO'd themselves like a club match. I worked for free for AIM the entire first day without so much as a bottle of water. Am I going back this year? Even with Andy as the MD they left such a bad taste in my mouth its not worth driving 8 hours one way so I can volunteer my time.

Now, I'm not asking anyone to pay me to come hold the timer. (Although, if anyone thinks of a way to be a professional RO...) But in my mind you should be giving the staff guns, tshirts, mugs, hats, etc. Paying for their hotel room and making sure they get fed on match days. And not this cold turkey sandwich in a box crap, I'm on the stage from 7am-7pm you need to feed a big boy more than once!

And remember there is no standard in 3gun, there isn't a national organization or governing body. You will get a RM/MD like Mark who goes the extra mile, you will run into a TF debacle from time to time, when you volunteer to work a 3gun match for the first time it's a little like being drafted. You don't know what to expect and all you can do is survive.

I want better trained, better qualified, ROs. The only way I see this happening is if people like MDs and host Ranges get together and teach people. Say the day before the staff shoots. Thats something I could see myself attending.

Tyler, I hear you about the RO classes. I am really talking about the basic RO class. The MG endorsement can be done on-line.

All in all, I think it is a great discussion and I hope it helps some to seek out more info.

I wish I could take the basic RO class... heck I only shoot USPSA pistol matches for practice and fun anymore and I still end up holding the timer there to, is there not a way that they could train their membership for free? Offer classes in conjunction with level 2 matches or just pay the NROI staff and take the burden off the members?

The class is a good baseline but you would exclude some great 3gun ro's by requiring it... myself included.

I know I don't have the answers. There are plenty of guys out there who could fix this if we all work together.

We might be drifting the thread, but hey, it is your thread...

Have you thought about getting your SC or AD to request a class? We have one here almost once a year. It costs the participants about $50 or so.

One of the comments I heard from the 2013 Benelli/Rockcastle was that some things were not done consistently. They were within a stage, but not stage to stage. I think what Tyler is talking about would help with things like this.

But I will say that I had my hand shaken more at the 2013 Benelli/Rockcastle than at any USPSA match I have RO'd. Even by guys who I did not see eye to eye on with some calls.

Excellent post , my son and I (and now a nephew) try and do exactally that.

We TRY and RO the match like we would want to be RO'd.

While we don't do many , (ozark since the beginning , and CMMG this year) we have gotten several compliments, our thoughts are "if the shooter is not happy he wont come back, if very many don't come back , soon you won't have a "local" match.

Once again

EXCELLENT points.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.

The best thing that can happen to raise the level of consistency among the RO staff is a long meeting before the match to go over all the rules, line by line, with the MD giving his interpretation and expectations. Followed by an explanation of the scoring system and then a walk through of all the stages.

This is where the MD can set the " tone" for the match staff's interaction with the shooters.

On RO/shooter interactions.

I find that the more informal the tone set by the RO, the less likely a lot of shooters are to listen to the RO and the more likely they are to try to push them.

I like to be as formal as possible. Lots of "Yes sir" and " No sir". I will also clearly explaining my expectations about the on deck shooter being prepared to shoot and the squads responsibility for reset during the walk through.

This seems to encourage shooters not to "push" me to test the limits with regard to slacking on the reset and arguing about penalties/misses (most of the time they know but want to see if they can BS their way out of it).

At the same time it is important to give the shooters as much time as they need where it counts, getting setup. I never push them and make sure that they have decided they are GTG.

At the MGM Ironman coaching is allowed and even encouraged, but the RO needs to ask the shooter what they want and the RO needs to realize that less is usually more.

Tyler,

Great discussion and teaching points. I agree with almost everything that you wrote. We all have an important role to play in setting and enforcing solid, repeatable standards to mature the sport and grow interest and participation.

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

4. It's inevitable that you will have friends come through the stage. Talk to them, be there friend, ask them how their match is going. But from make ready to ulsc you have to treat them exactly the same as everyone else.

Tyler great post, and just to prove you can walk the walk, not just post about it, I can't help but think about the Benelli match on the 2nd day.

I was having a rough stage where you were on the hill. I missed a clay that I probably could have broke in half with my tube had I just tried to joust it instead of shoot it. Went to bolt lock, slammed one in, whiffed on it AGAIN, bolt lock AGAIN. I reached for yet another shell, stopped myself and told you I was done. You simply and calmly asked "If finished ULSC" in the same manner and cadence you asked ever other competitor on our squad. I showed you clear, you called the range clear and to reset, called the time to the score keeper and it was then, and only then that you leaned over, tapped me on the shoulder, pointed at that pesky clay and said "dude, it's got a BB hole in it"!

Tyler,

Nice post and thanks for reminding us of the importance of professionalism in a mostly volunteer sport. I don't have an answer to your basic question of how to implement training for 3-gun RO's, but you've provided a lot of guidance in your comments.

I'm getting back into 3-gun competition after a long hiatus and bringing my son (Will, almost 15) with me. We're going to RO/shoot the TFD3G in a couple of weeks. I've been telling Will about the importance of being consistent, courteous, and professional. Now, I'm going to make him read this thread to see that other people say the same things.

It's too bad that you had a poor experience with last year's match. So far communication with Andy and Mike has been great and they seem to be treating the RO's well. I know that when I was organizing big matches I tried very hard to be good to the RO's.

Cheers,

Kelly McCoy

• 1 month later...

Tyler,

Great thread.

I've taking the USPSA RO course with Ray Hirst. It was a great experience. His personal wisdom and insight into the sport and national / Area level matches was fantastic.

We did shoot a match as an RO squad the following day. I think that was beneficial to those newer to the game and who had never held a timer before... but that said, for the rest, the shooting as an RO squad had little to no benefit.

The lecture portion, the instruction portion, personal insight, wisdom of his experience, the testing - that was the value of the class and frankly, a range really was not needed. So outside of a live fire portion of training, if that's warranted, and in lieu of having 'nothing', I wonder if we really need a physical on site / 'in the classroom' kind of training - at least initially for this?

Considering this is 2013, we have the interwebs and all... anyone thought about doing an online training... webinar type of course? Just throwing it out there.

Cheers,

The MG endorsement can be done on-line.

What am I missing? Went to the NROI page, and it says:

******THE MULTIGUN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE IS CURRENTLY SUSPENDED WHILE WE UPDATE IT TO REFLECT RECENT RULE CHANGES******

The lecture portion, the instruction portion, personal insight, wisdom of his experience, the testing - that was the value of the class and frankly, a range really was not needed. So outside of a live fire portion of training, if that's warranted, and in lieu of having 'nothing', I wonder if we really need a physical on site / 'in the classroom' kind of training - at least initially for this?

Considering this is 2013, we have the interwebs and all... anyone thought about doing an online training... webinar type of course? Just throwing it out there.

Cheers,

The CRO course was offered via correspondence for a number of years. They stopped that a couple of years ago, I assume because they weren't happy with the results.