Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help appraising Caspian

PHX

Hello,

I remember there was a Caspian section of the vendor tent portion of the forum, but it looks like it is gone now. This is the next best place I thought to post this.

I am contemplating selling my 6in Caspian in .40. Ive had it for about 3000 rounds and im not sure I love it. I thought a caspian frame would be a nice transition to the double stack 1911 platform since ive always shot tanfoglio. I am thinking of selling it and having a 5in STI built. The 6 inch just seems a little sluggish and off compaired to the 5 in im use to. Im going to give it another month before I decide for sure.

I was wondering if you all could help me determine a good asking price if I do sell. The gun is all Caspian except the Schuemann ultimatch barrel and Dawson magwell. It was built in Arizona by Camerons Customs. The gun is very tight and very accurate. I have 5 Caspian mags to go with it.

20130131_161253_zpsa7141b37.jpg

20130203_143337_zps111f2f2c.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

That is one sweet Caspian. I prefer steel frame guns over plastic.

Agreed!

If I were into shooting limited I would be all over that! That is a great looking limited gun built by a very talented gunsmith!

Someone once posted:

"This is my Caspian. There are many like it but this one is mine. My Caspian is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Caspian is useless. Without my Caspian, I am useless."

:bow:

Just a few thoughts and you may have already done this, but it’s possible the sluggish-ness might be cured by playing with the springs and loads.

Changing recoil spring and mainspring weights (and the radius of the firing pin stop) will change the feel of a gun. Load development is also very important. So, if you haven’t done these things then I wouldn’t give up on it just yet. Also, it might be worth trying a set of grip panels instead of the skate tape as that will change the feel of the gun and to me caspians feel more natural and 1911-like with grip panels installed. Alumagrips feel great but will add a little less than an ounce to the weight over wood grips (this can be a good thing if you think it is a little nose heavy). Caspian offers some wood grips that feel good and are functional but they are not real sexy looking. Hogue has some awesome wood grips with different woods in either smooth or checkered. Naverix (sp?) used to make really nice wood grip for the Caspian and they come up used on the forums on occasion.

Thanks for the input. I have some 165gr bullets in the mail. Ill give them a try and also experiment with recoil springs.

Ill let you all know if I decide to sell.

I weighed it this morning and my wifes digital food scale said it was 45.4 ounces.

That is one sweet Caspian. I prefer steel frame guns over plastic.

Someone once posted:

"This is my Caspian. There are many like it but this one is mine. My Caspian is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my Caspian is useless. Without my Caspian, I am useless."

:bow:

Oh that takes me back to MCRD San Diego

• 2 weeks later...

Man that thing is absolutely beautiful. I have his little brother, an Aluminum 9mm 5". Such a sweet gun!

SANY0622.JPG

Definitely let us know if you decide to sell!

Edited by kcobean

Well it was love at first site for me! I got a nice HPF Dawson Edge 5" about the same number of Rounds 4 mags with Dawson base pads, the gun is perfect all Hard Chromed. Or maybe an open gun might be your fancy.

The only thing that I would change is the trigger, I have so many curved trigger guns I can't shoot a flat trigger.

I think that if you were to lighten the barrel with some flute work it would change the personality a bit, as well as the balance. The Caspian is heavy to strart with, if I had designed it I would have put a bushing barrel in it.

Thanks for the input guys. Cocobolo I may be interested. Can you pm me pics or email them to iankantor@gmail.com. where are you located?

Thanks

Hello: Use 165 grain bullets with a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring, Briley 5" aluminum guide rod and then tell me it is sluggish. My STI bushing barreled limited 6" pistol is very light and very fast reacting. That one should be as well. Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

Someday, I'm going to take the plunge and get a Caspian Hi-cap gun. I have smallish hands and just love the feel.

Due to the current climate, I'm kicking around the idea of just snagging a frame and some mags and just slowly acquiring the rest.