Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on an open gun purchase

cjd1215

I bought a used Razorcat in 38SC at the end of last year and have shot it in 4 matches this spring. It's currently at Lim's getting a 9MM barrel and comp fit to it and ill report back my findings on the differences.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 9 major Matt Cheely or Sailors Custom Guns, are the best I've seen in action. I have 3 9 majors two shoot 38SC with another barrel and Comp. Thing is that the 38SC barrels have not been in the guns in 3 years. In 38SC Benny Hill Triangle shooting sports. Several locals shoot AKAI 38S guns, they do rather well, however, I have not seen a 9 major AKAI.

So you buying bullets now as well, I just bought 5 cases of 124gr JHP, 18,750 total for @ $2,000, almost enough for a year, can you say primers?

In the STI guns I'd get the match master rather than the Grand Master, and get the biggest comp regardless of caliber.

WiFey and I are extremely happy with our matching Limcat RazorCats in 9mm.

We have friends that shoot every gun on your list, and they're quite satisfied as well. I don't think any of the builders you mentioned would be a poor choice, but at the end of the day, it really comes down to the indian, and not the bow. That said, I'm just a lowly B (been shooting USPSA/IPSC for just under 2 years, and open for 14 months). So I'm not the greatest indian to give advice, but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another pair of Limcat pistols....maybe a set for Limited will be in our future soon. The things I'd look for is how flat the gun shoots, and how accessible the builder is. If you're worried about waiting, grab a factory gun or a used gun while you're waiting for your custom build....there's ALWAYS a market for used guns. Since you plan to enjoy this in your retirement (and thank you for your service Sir!) I'd try to get the best I could afford...and have it tailored to my needs. You'll never regret waiting for or paying for the best in the long run. Everybody wants high performance, high reliability, and affordability. Truth is, we can have any 2, but having all 3 is the unicorn of this game.

Here's some video of a short fat guy trying to hangon for a ride with the RazorCat.

Edited by Chip_E

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a 9MM major from Bobby at Freedom Guns. He talked me into the 9MM major. I still think I will end up getting a 38 Super or Super Comp as well. I was unsure of the 9mm because of loading options. I think the 38 Super has more options. Cost seems to be the only reason folks go 9MM major. They was I see if you have the funds to spend on an open gun you probably have the funs for the 38 Super brass. Oh well, you have to start somewhere. Maybe I can pick up a used 38 Super. I am sure I see a Cheely or Limcat in my future. The SVI was $5,800 and a 15 month wait. A lot can happen in 15 months. Freedom guns was 3 to 4 months. Seemed like the way to go. Bobby was great as he walked me through the hole build options. Great service.

You will really enjoy your FGW open gun! I REALLY enjoy mine! I have shot about 1200 rounds +/- in 2 matches and practice and absolutely love it! It has been flawless in matches with no jams! I am using untuned mags that I have thrown grams guts and dawson bases on with no issues. I also have a few stock mags with no issues either. I have dealt with Bobby a few times myself and my brother has a few times also and he has always been top notch!

IMGP3081_zps768f922f.jpg

IMGP3082_zpsc3949c96.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. I would like to say you all made the decision easier but I would be lying. So many choices and so many variables. I have e-mail Matt Cheely back a forth about his gun. Sounds like a stand up and man. He is 10 to 11 months.

Talked with Bob at Brazos and he is a year out.

Limcat is 4 to 6 months.

Freedom Gun is 4 to 6 months.

I did do a gun build at SVI. No response.

I see no one has mentioned a stock STI. Why is that? My concern is warranty on the guns. Sti is for the life of the gun. They are not going anywhere. With a custom from one of the mentioned gunsmiths, what happens if they go out of business?

Tough decisions to make. Not only do I have to decide who to buy from I am unsure which caliber to get. That is why I am contemplating just getting both. I will have plenty of time when I retire to shoot them and make bullets.

Thanks again for all the comments. Any more advice to help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I did do a gun build at SVI. No response.

Actually, you submitted a Gunbuilder at 11:04 AM on April 19th. It was responded at 6:04 PM the same day. We cannot control email but our site clearly states:

"Our goal is to respond within 24 hours. (If an email is not received within 24 hours we suggest checking your SPAM filter/Junk Folder or login back into Gunbuilder and review messages added to your design.) The Factory will make any necessary recommendations and provide a quote."

The details have been IM'd to you. Sorry you did not receive the information in a timely manner.

Lee

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a 9MM major from Bobby at Freedom Guns. He talked me into the 9MM major. I still think I will end up getting a 38 Super or Super Comp as well. I was unsure of the 9mm because of loading options. I think the 38 Super has more options. Cost seems to be the only reason folks go 9MM major. They was I see if you have the funds to spend on an open gun you probably have the funs for the 38 Super brass. Oh well, you have to start somewhere. Maybe I can pick up a used 38 Super. I am sure I see a Cheely or Limcat in my future. The SVI was $5,800 and a 15 month wait. A lot can happen in 15 months. Freedom guns was 3 to 4 months. Seemed like the way to go. Bobby was great as he walked me through the hole build options. Great service.

Good choice!!! :)

• 4 months later...

I have been shooting production at local matches. Looking for both 9mm and 38 Super basically because of availability of ammo. By having both I can shoot whatever I have on hand. Also, I guess because I can't really decide. I would like to stay under $5k for each gun. I have the funds but I would like spend as least as I can to get a good quality product. I am 3 years away from retirement from the military. 27 years and 3 more to go. I told my wife I am buying everything I want in retirement now. That way I don't have to make big purchases while retired. Just spend the money to sustain what I have and have fun using it.

If you don't reload, then you will be wasting your money.

+1. Couldn't agree more. Shooting open with factory ammunition is a complete waste of time.

Now that you have a gun in hand so to speak and you still want the 38 super comp , think hard about waiting a year for the Brazos. I have a Pro SX and the thing is stupid reliable. Bob knows how to build a gun..thats why the wait is long. Yea his visual design does not change much like many smiths do, its a constant evolution of a proven design. I will warn you though the Pro SX is a very loud gun right there with the Infinity IMM. Range officers stay away! But if you go that route you can concentrate on shooting cause the gun will have no issues.

I have been shooting production at local matches. Looking for both 9mm and 38 Super basically because of availability of ammo. By having both I can shoot whatever I have on hand. Also, I guess because I can't really decide. I would like to stay under $5k for each gun. I have the funds but I would like spend as least as I can to get a good quality product. I am 3 years away from retirement from the military. 27 years and 3 more to go. I told my wife I am buying everything I want in retirement now. That way I don't have to make big purchases while retired. Just spend the money to sustain what I have and have fun using it.

If you don't reload, then you will be wasting your money.

+1. Couldn't agree more. Shooting open with factory ammunition is a complete waste of time.

Reloading 9mm major is no harder than any other 9mm, just need to be careful. I see shooters at every match looking searching for 38sc brass. With 9mm major you can just let it go. I stopped picking up 9mm major brass and just let it go.

Thank you for your service. I wish you more Years of retirement shooting than you served us in the service. You know what Im saying. Lol

Reloading 9mm major is no harder than any other 9mm, just need to be careful..

Yeah, and it's still not as good as Super/SC. There's a reason people look for their Super/SC brass....it's worth it. I sold my 9 Major gun....even with the legendary SP-2, it's still not as good. The nice thing is that a good friend is very happy with the 24lbs of SP-2.

Didn't see it listed but check out the CZ Czechmate. It runs like a top and is built for 9mm. The biggest issue I have personally experienced as well as seen on the range with 2011's in 9 major is getting the magazines to run. I know some are getting them to work after some work and a whole lot of luck. For 38 super xxx, run the 2011, for a no hassle 9 open gun that can be had ready to go for $3K, the CZ is a great choice. The big sticks hold 29 with a basepad and spring/follower swap and run without any other tuning.

Just a thought.

Hahaha I love the "slow it down a little" He means you're shooting A's to fast and making the rest of the tacticool warriors / shooters on the range look bad

Edited by BlueVFRank