Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I got a 3500 and took it clay shooting today to start breaking it in and it was a jam-o-matic with the Federal Target Loads. Not impressed so far.

For those that opened up there loading port is the stock lifter long enough? I was looking at it today and it seemed as if I'd torch my finger on it during the reload.

There is a thread below specifically addressing the 3500. As I recall, the manual says not to go under 1-1/4oz on the 3-1/2 inch gun. Also, they usually have a light coat of cosmoline type grease on them from the factory which is pretty sticky, so it needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and oiled before use. When it jammed, did the empty eject, but next round failed to load? If that is the case, it means the shells have insufficient recoil to operate the gun. The bolt is not traveling rearward far enough to actuate the lifter. If that is not what it is doing, can you describe it? Often they will work with shells less than minimum recommended, but the manual says to break it in a couple hundred rounds with full-power loads. It also helps to store it with the bolt locked back to compress the spring for the first week or two.

Edit- just checked the other thread, and with a cleaned, oiled, and broken in 3500 it looks like 1-1/8 at 1200fps seems to be the low limit of cycling. My 3000 will go 1oz loads at that velocity, but it is only a 3inch chambered gun. It is a balancing act with the 3.5in guns, if they cycle with too light of loads, they beat themselves to death on the big shells.

Edited by openclassterror

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a 3500 and took it clay shooting today to start breaking it in and it was a jam-o-matic with the Federal Target Loads. Not impressed so far.

For those that opened up there loading port is the stock lifter long enough? I was looking at it today and it seemed as if I'd torch my finger on it during the reload.

There is a thread below specifically addressing the 3500. As I recall, the manual says not to go under 1-1/4oz on the 3-1/2 inch gun. Also, they usually have a light coat of cosmoline type grease on them from the factory which is pretty sticky, so it needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and oiled before use. When it jammed, did the empty eject, but next round failed to load? If that is the case, it means the shells have insufficient recoil to operate the gun. The bolt is not traveling rearward far enough to actuate the lifter. If that is not what it is doing, can you describe it? Often they will work with shells less than minimum recommended, but the manual says to break it in a couple hundred rounds with full-power loads. It also helps to store it with the bolt locked back to compress the spring for the first week or two.

Edit- just checked the other thread, and with a cleaned, oiled, and broken in 3500 it looks like 1-1/8 at 1200fps seems to be the low limit of cycling. My 3000 will go 1oz loads at that velocity, but it is only a 3inch chambered gun. It is a balancing act with the 3.5in guns, if they cycle with too light of loads, they beat themselves to death on the big shells.

Yea it was ejecting but not bringing in the next round. I'll give it a good scrub and lube and try to loosen up that spring and hopefully it runs better.

These Stoeger threads were just too much temptation for me. I'm picking up my 26" M3000 after work today. It's going to be the DIY backup to my M2. Also, since my M2 is the Tactical, I may even use the Stoeger as a primary for matches with no slugs—start getting myself to using a ribbed field barrel and figure out how to shoot a shotgun like an actual shotgun, and not just a big slow rifle. :)

Bought the mag for just this article. Outstanding!

+1. I found the mag at Books A Million over the weekend. Great article. I even learned a few tips that I didn't know about basic building of a 3-gun SG?

I plan to add a 24" Stoeger to my collection to back up my VM.

Has anyone changed out the fiber optic bead on one yet?

Doesn't seem to pick up much light.

I agree, I'm thinking about doing this also. Anyone have any experience with the HiViz sights on a shotty? Setup like a pistol with the front and rear sights?

Any of the do-it yourself loading port guys having any issues with the stock lifter? It seems like I'd get a pretty good bite using the stock lifter and that it will only be worse when I start filing the gun down.

Finally, how big of a PITA is it to tap and drill a hole for an extended bolt release?

I also partook in the stoeger kool aid and brought one home at lunch today! I robbed the mag tube off of my Nova and it threaded on with no modification to the tube or nut. Can't wait for this weekend to give it a thorough break in

I agree, I'm thinking about doing this also. Anyone have any experience with the HiViz sights on a shotty? Setup like a pistol with the front and rear sights?

Any of the do-it yourself loading port guys having any issues with the stock lifter? It seems like I'd get a pretty good bite using the stock lifter and that it will only be worse when I start filing the gun down.

Finally, how big of a PITA is it to tap and drill a hole for an extended bolt release?

You shouldnt have to do anything to install the extended bolt release. We will be doing an install video in the next week or so with Taran Tactical parts. Including the bolt release, safety and an attenpt to make a new charging handle and lift gate work.

Youtube.com/thetacticalbay

You shouldnt have to do anything to install the extended bolt release. We will be doing an install video in the next week or so with Taran Tactical parts. Including the bolt release, safety and an attenpt to make a new charging handle and lift gate work.

I'll keep an eye out for the video, make sure to post in here when it's complete.

As for the bolt release, isn't a drill and tap required for all brands?

It says you used a +6 tube and got 11 + 1. Does that mean you got 11 in the tube?

How many actually fit in the tube in that configuration?

Hi Viz sights are all I use on my shotguns. I have the Comp Sight, Flame Sight and a few if the inexpensive magnet sights. I'm not a big fan of rear sights cause the tend to catch my attention and slow me down. I use this setup on the rear of my vent rib. The triangle is painted.

The problem I have with missing really hard slug shots is not a good rear sight it's a front sight that's too big and fuzzy. That's why I'm experimenting with the Flame Sight. It is smaller and has a band of metal around the back edge do there is no glowing fuzzy edges. That and I slow painfully down now for slug shots. Been working great!

2A57936E-0843-4E43-9C5C-09CCA6C2133B_zps

869D80B6-296A-4FD1-AEB9-6C1D035EB3C4_zps

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Ordered a 26" 3000 last night at my LGS, even after they tried tempting me with a blem JM 930 for $520. It was a great deal but the inertia system outweighed having to deal with cleaning the gas system religiously.

[

Hi Viz sights are all I use on my shotguns. I have the Comp Sight, Flame Sight and a few if the inexpensive magnet sights. I'm not a big fan of rear sights cause the tend to catch my attention and slow me down. I use this setup on the rear of my vent rib. The triangle is painted.

]

Thanks for sharing. I might have to try that on my VM. That's a heck of a lot easier than cutting for a 10/22 sight.

Just did the tube install went on great after sanding the threads a little bit and I didn't have to cut the little bit off the end, started opening up the loading port but the bad news I bent the mag tube getting it off the receiver now the follower won't slide through, I hope they sell replacements.......

Any body know what followers work in these guns?

I'm not gonna lie it wasn't my idea. My gunsmith Mike Cyrwus at Accurate Iron got me started with a shallow hole milled into the rear of the vent rib. Then he filled it in with white paint. Rustin Bernskotter uses the triangle running down the rib. A combination of the two seems to work well.