Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol! I was hoping for a picture of the modification. I know they look great. I have one on my M2.

Yeah, I thought I was making a funny but I think my humor can be a little dry sometimes. Here's what I did. Looks ugly but works pretty well.

handle2.jpg

I didnt have to scallop the bolt handle just turn it down slightly. Granted I'm using the Taran benelli handle but should be the same

What's really funny is that unlike a lot of other guys on here, I don't have a workspace, don't have a garage, basement, or anything like that. I live in a high rise condo in downtown Chicago. My neighbors must think I'm a nutcase when they hear me grinding away in my kitchen with a dremel tool.

Lol! I was hoping for a picture of the modification. I know they look great. I have one on my M2.

Yeah, I thought I was making a funny but I think my humor can be a little dry sometimes. Here's what I did. Looks ugly but works pretty well.

handle2.jpg

I didnt have to scallop the bolt handle just turn it down slightly. Granted I'm using the Taran benelli handle but should be the same

Well I tried to make it match the original handle which is where the scallop came from. It's sort of directional now, however, so I might get another one and just do a smooth turning all the way around and see if that works better.

I think you're crazy for living in Chicago!

Yeah, understatement of the century. Not for long, though. Hopefully moving out of Chicago and Cook Country by next year. Trust me, though, it sucks. Not just because of the anti-gun hysteria but for the general liberal thought bubble that surrounds everyone and everything.

I gotta say, I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. I did enjoy visiting there though.

The bolt handle that came on my VM(Nordic) will fit into my Stoeger hole. The OD of the Nordic and Stoeger is nearly identical. The Nordic has a more blunt end on it and therefor is harder to get into the Stoeger bolt. But it will go and it does fit fine. The problem comes when you cycle the action. The rotating bolt has to clear the bolt handle(inside the bolt). Trimming one side like iswope did should work fine, but won't allow the handle to "spin". I would also be a little concerned about the handle rotating to a position that may not allow the bolt to cycle.

Here was my solution to the rotation problem. I cut the groove all the way around the shank so it could spin freely without contacting the cam on the bolt head. Pardon the poor pic and the dirty part. This was the first prototype. I used 4140 so strength wouldn't be an issue. It is 12 grams versus the factory part's 13 grams.

post-48876-0-20698600-1393300934_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

Thanks for compliments on the bolt handle guys! I am really enjoying working on these shotguns. It is way more fun to work on new designs than it is to do office work and supervise the guys on the shop floor. Here is the safety I have been working on as well. I developed a left- hand version also, since it is not reversible due to the trigger design.

post-48876-0-51201200-1393432507_thumb.j

I am probably going to pick on of these up, but I can't decide on a barrel length. I am thinking I will likely have the barrel cut down to somewhere in the 18-21" range and fitted with thin wall chokes at some point. Does anyone know if there is a difference in the barrel wall thickness between the different barrel lengths? I would be looking for the maximum barrel O.D. in the area where the new muzzle would be (18-21"). If anyone has some calipers and free time could they check their barrel O.D. in this area? I would guess that if there is a difference it would be the biggest between a 24" and 28"?

^^^What Pat said.^^^. Sticking a $100-200 barrel cut, rethread and new chokes into a $450 shotgun doesn't make much sense. Much like the Benelli M2 the Stoeger M3000 and other inertia guns it is very light weight even in 26,28, & 30" lengths. That $200 could be used to have all of the extras added to the factory gun and you'd be set.

Well, after all of the rave reviews, I picked up a 26" 3000 today. I am fortunate enough to be local to budsgunshop/thegunwarehouseandrange, nabbed it for 399 plus tax! Now to go see Mike and Chuck for a nordic tube! this is my first official 3gun shotty, and I'm super stoked! :cheers::D