Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiocchi Slugs the way to go?

RAZZ

I've been using Speer Lawman 1oz slugs for a while now, and I'm not super happy with the accuracy. Also, they are running at just over 1300fps and kinda beat me up shooting a bunch of rounds. I know that the answer to my question is 'shoot them and find out,' but before I drop a hundred + dollars on a big box of them, do ya'all think the Fiocchi low recoil slugs at 1150fps would feel that much different? Have you found them to be as accurate or more accurate than other brands you have tried out?

Thanks

I was shooting some of the 7/8 oz / 1300 fps Fiocchi slugs a few days ago after installing a rear sight on a M2. I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy and mild recoil (and they cycled the action just fine)

3 shots off hand at 50 yards on full size (MGM) IPSC target:

Fslug50_zpse8f0f5e1.jpg

3 shots off the bench at 100 yards on full size (MGM) IPSC target::

Fslug100_zpsc9efe8fa.jpg

FYI Midway has the 80 round can of Fiochhi in stock. I ordered one last night. The Midway sight is down at the moment and I dont know if they are already sold out. 7/8 oz Item 644566 for $79 in a little plastic can. IF they are out do the notify when in stock. Thats the only way I knew they had some. I think Able Ammo may have them in stock as well.

I have had good results and accuracy from them ... BUT!... The Fiocchi slugs are slightly longer. If you have tube that you are barely getting your last shell in and only have a little play with the last shell, you may not be able to get the regular about of these slugs in the tube. This had me a slug shell short on some stages a few years ago.

Federal Estate 7.5 shot =2.28".

Fiocchi 7/8 slug= 2.40"

X 8 shells, the difference is .96". You need more than an 1" of play to use these in your tube and have the same count.

Second question will they fit your shell caddies? My buddy at Benelli/Rock Chap had to borrow my caddies for a stage because his Fiocchi slugs would not fit in his shell caddies.

Greg

Fiocchis are accurate through my 1100 but the length causes hang ups with ejection. When it fails to eject it fails to feed the next shell. It's easy to clear but turns my auto loader into a bolt gun. I want to fix it by upgrading to a Versa Max.

What kind of gun are you shooting them in? I tried Fiocchi slugs in my Benelli SBE and wouldn't even cycle them some of the time. The guys I shoot with like them because of the mild recoil. Of course the SBE is a 3 1/2 gun and wasn't designed for 3gun so I really didn't expect them to work. I bought a case of Federal, and I can't even tell you what load, and they work ok. I still have to make sure I'm leaning into the gun or still get a jam once in a while. It cycles the Wally World Winchesters but dem things hurt and shoot a foot high at 50 yards.

I just ordered a box of 644566 from Midway to try through my 930 SPX. I recently sighted it in with 1oz 1600fps (what the box claims) Winchester slugs (it was all WalMart had) and ouch. Lighter slugs at lower velocity should be easier on the shoulder.

Fiocchi low recoil 7/8 runs my M2 fine, accurate too. Soft shooting indeed. As mentioned above they are longer in length than my birdshot loads so I have a separate CCW caddy I use when we have a slug stage. (rare at my club). If I need more slugs than that in a stage I put Federal Truball low recoil in my other caddies as it fits without adjusting the caddies.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

Fiocchi's are so soft that I think I had a malfunction the first time I shoot them after a long layoff.

Sounds like my 147gr loads. Mix them in with 124s, and you'll think you had a squib.

Remington low recoil are also good loads, and I've had no trouble with length. I learned, the hard way, to stay away from the Federal Truball. In a long slug stage at Ironman a few years ago the gas ports in my 11/87 got clogged with lead and the gun became a single shot when I switched to bird shot! The plastic ball in the base of Truball forces the soft lead slug into the barrel walls. The barrel can lead up pretty fast.

Remington low recoil are also good loads, and I've had no trouble with length. I learned, the hard way, to stay away from the Federal Truball. In a long slug stage at Ironman a few years ago the gas ports in my 11/87 got clogged with lead and the gun became a single shot when I switched to bird shot! The plastic ball in the base of Truball forces the soft lead slug into the barrel walls. The barrel can lead up pretty fast.

Good to know! Appreciate that info on the federals.. I too like the remingtons.. I havent tried the fiocchi yet.. I am thinking on doing so... Wish i could get them locally.. Shippin at $15-18 is a killer..

My case of Fiocchis arrived today. I was going to complain that they turn my 7 round mag 930 SPX into a 6 round mag, but so do the Winchester 1oz slugs I have. Only with buck or bird shot loads am I able to fit all 7 rounds in the mag. I also experienced mag follower bind for the first time, after trying to cram a 7th round in.

I finally got a chance to shoot the Fiocchi low recoil slugs today in my 930 SPX. Wow...they're not kidding about low recoil. They felt more like bird shot than slugs. Now I've got to find some of their low recoil buck.

I finally got a chance to shoot the Fiocchi low recoil slugs today in my 930 SPX. Wow...they're not kidding about low recoil. They felt more like bird shot than slugs. Now I've got to find some of their low recoil buck.

I had an issue with the buck--it won't eject from my Akdal. Works great in my Super 90, tho. I wound up going with the Royal Buck.