Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Guy Trying to Figure out what gun to shoot in IDPA

ktm300

I primarily shoot USPSA. I was thinking about shooting an IDPA match at a local club. I joined IDPA and started trying to figure out what gun I have that would be legal.

My winter every day carry 1911 in .45 is not legal because it has a bull barrel.

My XDM 5.25 can't be used in SSP even though it is bone stock and pretty much the same idea as a Glock that can shoot in SSP. It looks to be legal in ESP but that would not make sense as it is not enhanced in any way.

My .40 1911 with a bushing barrel is not allowed in the CDP group because it's not a .45 even if it makes the correct power factor. I think I can shoot it in ESP but I would be shooting against 1911's in 9mm and scored the same.

I think my Akai 9mm 1911 can run in ESP if I pull off the big mag button so that looks to be the place for me. It has a square trigger guard and an Ice magwell that I think will fit in the IDPA box. When I read the rules on it there is something to the effect that it can't be modified for competition so is the ice magwell going to get me in trouble? I am not sure if the cocking serrations on the front are going to be considered slide lightening cuts so that may get me as well.

There seems to be a lot of talk about the CR Speed mag pouches and if they are legal or not. I read 3 posts and I think I can use them if I pull the adjustment knobs off but I am not sure. I have a double mag pouch that has a tech lock on it and I am not sure if that is legal either.

I have not even gotten to the how to shoot the stages rules and my head hurts. The more I read the rules, the less I want to take the time to figure them out.

The bright spot is that the local MD is a very cool guy and is going to help me get classified and make sure I am legal. If it was not for him I would have given up hours ago.

Shoot the XD in ESP, buy $15 uncle mike double mag pouch or 2 kytex mag pouches for $30. Shoot

Seriously there is so very little difference between the times of SSP and ESP it's almost negligible. You could always download the .40 and shoot that 1911 in ESP as well.

Or if it's legal I can shoot my 9mm 1911. I will know that when I meet up with the MD for the local match.

I can shoot a 1911 platform quicker, and more accurate than a striker platform like the XD. Might only be 1 or 2 seconds here and there but better for sure.

I guess the way I look at it is IDPA is just a different game than USPSA. If I am going to play a game I want to do as well as I can. I guess I will pick up a few FTDR's along the way.

Sounds like you are blessed with many options. Go shoot. Have fun.

Too bad gun choices <> shooting speed.

The rule sets are pretty different but learning is fun so I plan to have some. I am blessed the the MD is a guy I shoot USPSA with pretty often. I am just used to knowing the rules of the game and it is pretty tough to try and ingest it all at one time.

Or if it's legal I can shoot my 9mm 1911. I will know that when I meet up with the MD for the local match.

I can shoot a 1911 platform quicker, and more accurate than a striker platform like the XD. Might only be 1 or 2 seconds here and there but better for sure.

I guess the way I look at it is IDPA is just a different game than USPSA. If I am going to play a game I want to do as well as I can. I guess I will pick up a few FTDR's along the way.

my wife shoots a 9mm STI 1911 in esp and i have one being built right now.

you would be more than competitive shooting your XDm in ESP too.

Shoot the XD with the holster, magpouch that came with it, if you have them. Don't get crazy over thinking this Untill u find u enjoy idpa

If you know the MD , he should let u shoot your first match with the blade techs double, not sure if legal

Edited by cnote

You are way overthinking it.

What is the barrel length on your "winter carry?" Bull barrels are ok up to 4.2", just short of true Commanders.

The XDm 5.25 is essentially made for the event. So what if it puts you into ESP instead of SSP?

.40 Minor in ESP is a great combination.

Put a plain mag catch on the 9mm and you are set. I think the Ice fits The Box and the square trigger guard and FCS are not disqualifying modifications.

Pay attention to the IDPA requirements for use of cover to shoot and reload, learn what Tactical Sequence and Tactical Priority mean, and have fun.

You should not earn ANY FTDRs unless you are being a horse's patoot and trying to get away with stuff because you prefer USPSA to IDPA.

And we all get procedurals from time to time.

You could shoot your 9mm 1911 in ESP.

Or your XD in ... ESP as well, because they are not allowed in SSP.

ESP has a higher classification requirement than SSP, otherwise not too many differences, except that it allows for magwells, more checkering, extended safeties and magazine releases. DA/SA are allowed to start SA with safety on.

As for a holster, you may want to look at a Blade Tech if you are getting serious. Otherwise the usual padded Uncle Mike "fits all" would be fine for the first time. But technically what would be allowed in USPSA Production is allowed in IDPA, but read the rules, don't trust what I just wrote.

No race holsters allowed.

As for the CR Versa Speed pouches, they are allowed, as long as you replace the speed knob adjustment screw with a philips head screw. You usually have only one magazine change. If you use your third magazine, something happened (bad shooting, bad reload management, malfunction). So, really, magazine pouches do not make much of a difference.

Remember that club matches are a lot more tolerant on rules than major matches. We love to see new shooters.

Edited by NicVerAZ

Thanks for all the help guys. I want to like IDPA as it gives me one more match to shoot each month at a club I like a lot. Sounds like I will take the XDM and the 9mm 1911 and gear when I go to shoot the classifier. If the 1911 is legal I will shoot it, if not the XDM.

Well the 9mm 1911 is out because of the grip safety. Not one of my 1911's grip safeties work. As high as I hold the gun it makes a 100% gun about 60%. Yes even my winter EDC is set that way. I would kind of suck to need it and when I pull the trigger it won't pull.

I guess it's the bone stock 9mm XDm in ESP. I ought to get to shooting it, as I have not in months.

Shouldn't cost much to get the grip safety going on your 9mm 1911. Once it's running pin the main spring housing so you can pin it for other games then remove the pin for IDPA.

Shot IPSC for years before trying IDPA and have enjoyed the IDPA game met some great people.

Several of the IDPA shooters have started shooting IPSC also so at our club it's worked out.

9mm 1911 is a good way to go. Heavy enough light recoil most very accurate and it's hard to beat the feel of a 1911. Load your self, try some of the heavier bullets with Solo 1000 or VV320, think you'll be pleased.

Thanks Bob,

I shot Single Stack minor in USPSA for 2 years with a 9mm 1911 and it is a good platform. First with a Trojan and then the full custom Akai. I would have to buy and fit another grip safety and figure out a way for it to work all the time. For now I will just shoot the XDm in 9mm to see if I like the IDPA game.

Edited by ktm300

Depending on how serious the guys are that you shoot with, you'll be fine using the 45 in cdp, I am in the same category with my selections and I really like my 1911 with a bull barrel so I just shoot it. The guys don't bug me about it since they know I'm not shooting idpa to be competitive in that sport, it's just for the trigger time on my 1911 and to shoot more. But if you're wanting to start participating in bigger matches, the xd is a great option. But if it were me and at the range I shoot at regularly, cdp is where I'd be at.

as others have said just pick up the XDM 5.25 and go shoot in ESP. You could add a magwell but don't have to. The times between ESP and SSP are really close until you get to the top level. The reason is some competitors move to ESP only after they made master in SSP. If that's the case they are quickly classified or match-bumped to expert ESP. Majority of the competitors fall within marksman and sharp shooter classifications. Just go shoot because there's a lot more going on in IDPA than a USPSA match. Some say IDPA has too many rules but I think the procedures for completing the course of fire are part of the overall game experience. I like opening doors and taking cover to slice the pie.

SSP shooters overal do better than ESP because SSP are usually USPSA production shooters used to enhancing accuracy over speed, whereas ESP shooters are usually USPSA limited shooters who do the opposite.

At a recent state championship two USPSA shooters who never shot IDPA before showed up. One limited shooter, one production shooter.

The production shooter won the match overall, yet shot the entire match in 15 seconds less than the limited guy, who came second.

The conclusion is easy to make.

The production shooter won the match overall, yet shot the entire match in 15 seconds less than the limited guy, who came second.

The conclusion is easy to make.

Well I am a limited shooter who is more about accuracy than raw speed so.............. I like it when I am down 1 or 2 points on a 30 round stage. I may just like IDPA (;-))

I did shoot Single Stack Minor for a couple of years to work on being accurate. Minor scoring hurts a lot in USPSA if you don't shoot A's.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

You might not be as handicapped as you think if you used the .40 with major ammo in ESP. With 180 or 200 grain bullets and fast powder, a major .40 1911 is not bad. Also, a lot of 1911 ESP shooters prefer 9 round mags. You would have to fix that grip safety, though. I have a really high grip and the grip safety has only been a problem on one gun.