Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go with kkm barrel ?

open67

Been waiting like probably a fair amount of you for the bar-sto barrel. Called Apex yesterday and while in the past they seemed to be able to give some type of time estimate on when they will be ready now they don't. Had received an email several months ago I think estimating a time, I thought I would call to see if the current conditions on guns, ammo, components, parts, etc. had affected this but all they were able to say is it still is in development. Seem like a lot of you have gotten good results from KKM so I thought I would put it out there again. I have a 9L in 9mm. What have you experienced? Thanks.

My KKM produces better groups than the stock barrel, but not by much. I can't say it has greatly improved my scores. If you are doing acceptably with the stock barrel I would wait for the Bar-Sto.

Edited by fiddler

I only originally went with KKM because I bought the slide direct from S&W and figured it couldn't hurt. After shooting plenty of stock barrels, I don't really see a difference. However, depending on which division you shoot in could make a difference. I got the 5.75" barrel for my Pro because I shoot limited (you could use this on a 4" slide as well) The longer barrel yields a higher velocity at safer pressures and you cannot get this from S&W. The only drawback I did notice (at a major match no less) I did a reload and the barrel caught my eye because it was sticking out... Thought it was out of battery and wasted a second racking the slide and throwing away a round :sick: I've since practiced with it and gotten rid of that habit.

Been waiting like probably a fair amount of you for the bar-sto barrel. Called Apex yesterday and while in the past they seemed to be able to give some type of time estimate on when they will be ready now they don't. Had received an email several months ago I think estimating a time, I thought I would call to see if the current conditions on guns, ammo, components, parts, etc. had affected this but all they were able to say is it still is in development. Seem like a lot of you have gotten good results from KKM so I thought I would put it out there again. I have a 9L in 9mm. What have you experienced? Thanks.

I Think some people have been waiting over two years for that barrel. I have had no problems with over a years use with the kkm.

I have a kkm on my 9mm, it may not have been needed but i got one anyways and it shoots Independence Ammo very well, i do use the factory one with federal ammo tho, so i interchange with what im using.

I have a KKM 40 to 9mm conversion barrel in my Pro and love it. It's got a deep chamber, so I can load 9mm longer than OEM barrels allow (limiting factor with round nose bullets is the magazine).

Is the deep chamber standard on the KKM? Or did you request this special?

I ordered a kkm barrel the day after xmas. Have not seen it yet. Two different promise dates, beginning of feb and then beginning of April. Still have not heard or seen anything from kkm. There customer service leaves alot to be desired. So hope you have better luck than me.

I have a KKM 40 to 9mm conversion barrel in my Pro and love it. It's got a deep chamber, so I can load 9mm longer than OEM barrels allow (limiting factor with round nose bullets is the magazine).

Is the deep chamber standard on the KKM? Or did you request this special?

Don't know if its standard or not. I did't special order it. I just noticed my KKM loads are to long for the chamber on my 9mm shield.

I talked to KKM this morning and they said that they are not taking anymore orders for M&P barrels until they get caught up with current orders. Until they get caught up, they removed the M&P barrel options from their website. They expect to be back in production with M&P barrels around June-July time frame.

Ken

25 yard groups with the stock barrels (3 guns now) and a variety of ammo printed 6 to 12+ inches for me. With a KKM in 2 of those now, I consistently print under 4" with pretty much any ammo. The Hornady HAPs (sized .356) and other .356 sized bullets have produced the best groups in the KKMs with the HAPs going just under 3" at 25 yards in 2 different guns.

• 1 month later...

It seems that m&p barrels vary.

In my 9L, with bayous 147, I was getting under 2in at 20. (with a not so great rest)

That's plenty accurate for me.

I would love to see that kind of accuracy from my Pro .40. I sent it to S&W and they gave me a new barrel. The new on is no better than the old one.

My Pro 40 in KKM 5" and KKM 5.75" are both that accurate. The other day I was out at 100 yards shooting rifle steel and was hitting more than missing. The chronoing I did last week also showed close to a 40FPS gain using the 5.75 over the 5" with everything else being equal. (Same gun, slide, ammo and shooting position at the chrono.)

It seems that m&p barrels vary.

In my 9L, with bayous 147, I was getting under 2in at 20. (with a not so great rest)

That's plenty accurate for me.

I would love to see that kind of accuracy from my Pro .40. I sent it to S&W and they gave me a new barrel. The new on is no better than the old one.

Ya, kind of dissapointing to hear these accuracy problems. My 9L was bought in '08, when they first were becoming popular. It has to have over 50k rounds too...I just recently replaced the barrel with another stock barrel since my velocities were getting a bit slow. Keeps on running...

I also order a 357 Sig barrel from KKM the day after Christmas. I recently emailed them and they told me that they are not producing M&P barrels so that they can fill a military order. They had no idea when I would get my barrel, they put me on a back-order list. They should at least show on their site that they are out of stock instead of having me wait 5 months with no end in sight.

my m&p 5 inch pro shot about the same with the original barrel as it did with the KKm, so i went back to the original and put the kkm in the safe. this weekend i decided to replace the locking block in the gun as it had around 12 thousand rounds through it and it had become very loose. The new locking block had larger rails than the original(.5 vrs.4 inches long). the gun grouped about the same with the original barrel, but with the kkm my groups were cut in half. I assume it just locks up tighter with the new block.