Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HOW DOES THE STI EDGE STACK UP?

G34 CORDY

First wanted to say I had a Edge for a short period of time really didnt give it a chance and also had issues with it so I sold it to a buddy of mine that really likes it after buying mags that work lol. So I was talking to a guy at a match about the Edge and wanted to see what you guys think about it accuracy wise compared to a Custom or others? I wouldnt mind to try another one down the road after I get out of my rut but is it good enough to buy one get a trigger job and other limited parts or go full custom? Iam just bored so I wanted to talk guns with you guys because my wife is tired of hearing me talk about them lol.

Let me put it this way, shot one this weekend and I am getting rid of my BRAND NEW 0 SHOTS Glock 35 that I bought with the purpose of making it a limited USPSA gun. There is simply no comparison to the weight advantage and the trigger that you get from a well gunsmithed 2011, specialy an STI.

If It does not come down to what your bank account has to say about it , than a nice custom build, by a solid gunsmith, can be very difficult to beat. Alot of options out there. Find your favorite platform and shoot the barrel out of it. Enjoy.

For just a few dollars more you could do a complete custom build. One of the amazing Smiths on this site could build it for you. As far as a platform goes it's 2011 all the the way for limited and open. As least for me.

You could troll the classifieds like I have been doing to get deals on parts for your build.

I am pretty sure Browning, if he were around today, would be shooting a well tuned 2011!

Its to bad you had mag issues. My wife gave up her glock 34 last may after I had her STI Apeiro setting in safe for 3 months(she said it was to heavy!). After shooting it one afternoon when she had a bad day with the glock she hit the steel everytime she pulled the trigger. I own serveral STI's and Infinity's once you shoot them you will never look back. Tuned mags are a must! By the way my carry gun is a glock!!!! Goes bang everytime.With are without dirt in the mag. Lol

The tuned Edge I bought wouldn't shoot straight for me until I stuck a KKM barrel in it. And the SV mags I had wouldn't drop free on reloads unless I held the gun absolutely still, they'd stutter out. The KKM barrel went into my Colt L-10 gun and the Edge went to a BEnos member. Haven't missed it or the STI Open gun either. I'll probably try the platform again someday, but for now I'm ok with my SS and Para platforms.

I'm waiting 15-18 months for an SVI build. Brazos also has a big lead time, as do most good shops right now. I like my Edge, and I will continue to enjoy it, and my other STIs in the mean time. I own 5, bought new, and two have had to go back to STI for work-such is the nature of the beast. They do hold their value, and the warranty is transferable. I went from M&P, to XDM, to the 2011 platform. Seems like a typical progression for many here. My name is Pete, and I'm a gun addict.

I have a factory edge that I sent to Gans for a little cosmetic work. It runs and goes bang every time. As far as accuracy, It is as accurate as I need it to be, but I am not an accuracy fiend like some on here. If I can hold them in the a zone at 50 from a rest, I'm fine with that. I like my 6" better, but only because of the sight radius.

I have responded to three posts like this this morning alone and the two factors that are more important than the gun or the builder, is that you A) know you to load ammo correctly for your platform, and B) know how to tune mags. The dawson mag tuning kit and a hammer is all you really need. Most issues with guys and new guns can be attributed to one of those two things.

All need a little tuning to fit the owner. To me an Eagle has a better balance and quicker recovery.

I would ask some of the club members if you can put a few rounds through their pistol before making the next selection.

Just FYI, my experience with STI off the shelf guns suggests you have about a 50% chance of the gun functioning properly out of the box. Either plan on having it tuned up by a gunsmith or just spend the extra to have a custom gun built. If it works right out of the box, you can consider it a pleasant surprise.

Just FYI, my experience with STI off the shelf guns suggests you have about a 50% chance of the gun functioning properly out of the box. Either plan on having it tuned up by a gunsmith or just spend the extra to have a custom gun built. If it works right out of the box, you can consider it a pleasant surprise.

I had one about 2 years ago and it would not run well out of the box. I got frustrated and didn't want to put money into a $2000 gun for it to run I thought that was horrible. So sold it to a friend that sent it in but when I have the money i will just get a custom.

I have a Eagle and it flat out runs, and shoots factory and long OAL ammo just fine. Also have an SVI and Akai custom 2011 . The eagle is not as nice , but accuracy is just as good. There are several good deals on 2011's that come through the classifieds on BE.

I bought an Edge in 9mm NIB. I put an Aftec extractor and a Brazos tuned ejector before ever firing it and that was about 2000 rds ago and have never had a malfunction.

I also bought a NIB SteelMaster and went through hell to get it to run. So I guess it is just luck of the draw.

I have also had customs built and same luck of the draw some worked right off and some didn't. I guess you gotta hold your tongue just right.

I bought an Edge in 9mm NIB. I put an Aftec extractor and a Brazos tuned ejector before ever firing it and that was about 2000 rds ago and have never had a malfunction.

I also bought a NIB SteelMaster and went through hell to get it to run. So I guess it is just luck of the draw.

I have also had customs built and same luck of the draw some worked right off and some didn't. I guess you gotta hold your tongue just right.

Sounds exactly what I have done. Got a steelmaster and began to stovepipe and was very frustrating but seemed to solve the problem. I just got a performance edge in 9 that Bob from Brazo worked on and so far so good. I only have about 800 through it but no issues and I have run 4 different types of ammo. I also have a Trogan that bob worked on with thousands and thousands of rounds through it with no issues .

What blows me away is the gun is designed with weight in mind to tame recoil. It was designed by gm Dave dawson. Has a bull barrell extended slide and frame and originally came with a tungsten guide rod ( mine did) and now people want to hack the crap out of it to make it lighter?

WHY?????? Buy an eagle instead.

I'm thinking of custom ordering an 40 edge in six inch (ala perfect 10) but of course it will be too heavy and will swing five yards past every target etc etc. That is if I can draw it out of my holster since it will be so heavy :)

Edited by ipscjoe

I got a used Edge off of here that came with 2 mags, since then I've bout 4 more used and 2 new in package mags and with just grams followers and springs they have ran 100%.

I saved my money and passed on super big magwells, or mag tuning kits, posi locks, basepads etc etc and bought reloading components. Gun has still ran 100% w/o that stuff.

Its a solid gun

I have a stock Edge that has run 100% straight out of the box. Figured I'd shoot it a year before deciding if I want to do anything to it. Finish is worn to heck but I kinda like the worn look. So far I see no reason to do anything woth it. Maybe hard chrome or something but thats it. Best money I've spent since is tuned mags. They've made a big difference. I had sticker shock until the first couple matches where I quickly realized the extra rounds are worth it.

I STARTED WITH GLOCK. SHOT MY SON EDGE, NO COMPARISON. HE BOUGHT ONE ALL TRICKED OUT FROM A LOCAL SHOOTER. I BOUGHT HIS OLD ONE. I`M SURELY NO EXPERT ON

AUTO LOADERS.BUT VERY IMPRESSED SO FAR. THE RECOIL IS SO SMOOTH. AND SUPER ACCURATE. WHAT MORE COULD I ASK FOR!

Bought an Edge in .38 super. Feels great, shoots great however I initially had a little problem in that live rounds randomely activated the slide stop pin and locked the slide open. I filed a bit off the slide stop pin and its been perfect ever since. I now also have a 6 inch Dawson custom. Beautiful.

When I go back and shoot with the Edge it feels like a toy so I don't agree that the Edge is too heavy. Personal choice.

Drain your 401K and invest in a full blown custom. :surprise:

STI makes a fine gun. STI is the basis for many fine custom guns. IMO almost every new gun could benefit from a great trigger job. After that it is all about practice.

I started with a Trojan. Getting a decent trigger job improved my scores dramatically. My second gun was a STI Edge-the build was completed by Kodiak Precision. It was a fine shooter. Sold it to my friend. He sold it after he got a Bedell.

That said, I was in a place where I could afford a SV Kodiak Precision and have not regretted that move one moment. In fact, I now have several SVs.

I have now picked up a new Production gun and will have CZ Custom trick it out.