Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSP/ESP guys. how often do you use the 3rd mag?

ProGunGuy

BBBB

Your probably right, I doubt it's applied much, as it would be difficult to enforce. Will the SO know how many mags you carried in the last bay? Or will he know weather or not you just forgot one mag or not.

I think your example is a little different too, in a stage like that I would only pick up what I need too. But the stage is forcing you to start with a different carry method.

I think if you are doing what is stated above and leaving one mag to reduce the risk of dropping it and getting a PE, you are trying to gain a advantage and that would warrent a PE in my mind. Even though you may never get called on it.

My luck I would get called on it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not very often, unless you get a diabolical stage designer that gives you 12 18rnd stages for a match (like at EFGA thank you KO! :)). You'll want that extra reload on your belt incase you do a couple extra shots. Always good for a malfunction, of course. Or if the stage description requires it.

^^^ THIS!

I had to go to my 3rd mag on one stage in this match. 12 stages all with an 18 round minimum... It is the second time outside of a jam situation I have needed my third mag. I think the first time was my first match.

Racinready300ex

I see your point based on how the rule is worded but I suspect the rule is not often applied in this manner. I have been to plenty of matches where ESP/SSP competitors chose to only use only one spare mag on a particular stage without penalty. At last years nationals there was a stage where you had to pick your loaded mags up from a coffee table and pretty much all the ESP & SSP shooters on my squad started with one mag even though they definitely needed two for other stages. In fact some of them put both mags on the coffee table and only picked up one without penalty. Perhaps there has been some sort of ruling on this particular issue on IDPAforum.com.

in this case the CoF dictates how the shooter stages the mags prior to starting the CoF. The shooter still technically started the stage loaded to division capacity. Ill bet the CoF did not specify that the shooters stow ALL loading devices prior to leaving P1.

To answer the original question, rarely do I use the 3rd mag when shooting SSP or ESP [the two div I shoot in most often]. If your mags are falling out I suggest getting a better mag pouch. I like having two separate pouches so I can separate them and not risk grabbing two at once leading to a fumble of one. I put the third behind the hip. Now shooting SSR is completely different.....

Whether the different mags per stage is interpreted to exclude this or not there is still a problem. If the 3rd mag is coming out on stages where you don't need it then it's still going to come out on stages when you do. This is a dislodge, not a drop unless it's part of a reload when this happens. If its dislodged it's because it was not secured correctly, hence a PE. Fix the retention, problem addressed.

It's not required to carry a 3rd mag as far as I know. Although there is a rule that says you must carry the same way for the entire match. This means if you start with only 2 mags, then you can only use 2 mags all day. If you switch to 3 mags for one stage because it will work out better for you that should be a FTDR.

Carrying the same way doesn't really mean carrying the same number of mags for the entire match, does it?

e.g. Carrying 3 mags vs. carrying mags in a pocket vs. a mag pouch

I've shot IDPA matches where 3 mags were needed for a stage, but no one was carrying 3 mags for any other stage; it wasn't even implied.

I think BBBB is stating the same

I Barney off the second mag on my belt. Someone may ding me for it but I'm not going to hold up the match while I put another round in. There is no competitive advantage.

2 on the belt or one on the belt in different stages is not addressed in the rule pamphlet. I say it's fine.

Is it difficult to overcome the 3 second PE that you incur on each stage for not loading all of your magazines to the same capacity?

What other rules are ignored in your area of the country? :wacko:

What other rules do you deem unnecessary to follow?

Just because something isn't checked at every turnaround doesn't mean you shouldn't follow the rules. Or is your integrity that questionable?

If I shot with someone on a regular basis there's a pretty good chance I would catch on if something wasn't right, if there's smoke there's fire so I'd start being a little more critical of him and everyone else. No sense in letting things slide, even if it is just a "local match".

I rather frequently have a "officer down" (pick up the gun from the fallen officer) or "your in the middle of a fight" (start with gun at low ready) scenario where everyone starts with the gun loaded with 6 rounds and all other loading devices to div. capacity. In an 18 round scenario, everyone has to do two reloads. This puts everyone on a more even playing field and it is often interesting to see how things shake out when everyone is shooting the same number of rounds.....AND having to do the same number of reloads. Sure....everyone is JUST shooting against those with the same division and classification.....but we all look at how we compare to "others" and this style of scenario can be a good evalulation of abilty.

Garry N

I must be missing something because I don't understand why you put a mag on your belt that is short one round, sure its the 3rd mag but what if you screw up the reload or have a stoppage or ... Why even take the risk?

I have one way of doing things that works for Production, Limited, L10, Single Stack, ESP, CDP, SSP.

Mag in front pocket with one round in it, start mag in back pocket with div capacity/fully loaded depending on state and division.

On make ready/load and make ready take mag from front pocket chamber the single round by inspecting the mag I know whether it chambered or not.

Remove mag put in back pocket, retrieve start mag from back pocket insert and double check it seated correctly

done.

Same procedure, 7 different divisions, 4 different guns, 2 different sports.

I must be missing something because I don't understand why you put a mag on your belt that is short one round, sure its the 3rd mag but what if you screw up the reload or have a stoppage or ... Why even take the risk?

I have one way of doing things that works for Production, Limited, L10, Single Stack, ESP, CDP, SSP.

Mag in front pocket with one round in it, start mag in back pocket with div capacity/fully loaded depending on state and division.

On make ready/load and make ready take mag from front pocket chamber the single round by inspecting the mag I know whether it chambered or not.

Remove mag put in back pocket, retrieve start mag from back pocket insert and double check it seated correctly

done.

Same procedure, 7 different divisions, 4 different guns, 2 different sports.

I do the same thing, except that my barney mag is in my back pocket and my full mag is in my front pocket.

• 1 month later...