Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting IDPA (or any match) in New York with high cap mags

RexKramer

Ok, with the new law coming into effect in New York state soon, I am trying to figure out if taking magazines that holds more than 10 rounds into NY state for a sanctioned IDPA match is legal or not. I'd really like to make a sanctioned match in a couple of months, but spending nearly $200 on mags if you can find them just to travel to one state doesn't sound like a good allocation of resources.

Sorry for what is probably a very basic question.

I'd probably just suck it up and add to the hysterical prices before messing with the mags I have.

I have found in section 7 of this list of exemptions discussing magazines:

From this link on the Pine City match site, which links NY's law and shows exemptions to the NY law:

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$PEN265.20$$@TXPEN0265.20+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=51725278+&TARGET=VIEW

* 7-f. Possession and use of a magazine, belt, feed strip or similar

device, that contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, but that

does not have a capacity of or can readily be restored or converted to

accept more than ten rounds of ammunition, at an indoor or outdoor

firing range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly

incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to

foster proficiency in arms; at an indoor or outdoor firing range for the

purpose of firing a rifle or shotgun; at a collegiate, olympic or target

shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the national

rifle association; or at an organized match sanctioned by the

International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association.

* NB Effective March 16, 2013

Section 13 talks about the pistols themselves:

13. Possession of pistols and revolvers by a person who is a

nonresident of this state while attending or traveling to or from, an

organized competitive pistol match or league competition under auspices

of, or approved by, the National Rifle Association and in which he is a

competitor, within forty-eight hours of such event or by a person who is

a non-resident of the state while attending or traveling to or from an

organized match sanctioned by the International Handgun Metallic

Silhouette Association and in which he is a competitor, within

forty-eight hours of such event, provided that he has not been

previously convicted of a felony or a crime which, if committed in New

York, would constitute a felony, and further provided that the pistols

or revolvers are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container

together with a copy of the match program, match schedule or match

registration card. Such documentation shall constitute prima facie

evidence of exemption, providing that such person also has in his

possession a pistol license or firearms registration card issued in

accordance with the laws of his place of residence. For purposes of this

subdivision, a person licensed in a jurisdiction which does not

authorize such license by a person who has been previously convicted of

a felony shall be presumed to have no prior conviction. The

superintendent of state police shall annually review the laws of

jurisdictions within the United States and Canada with respect to the

applicable requirements for licensing or registration of firearms and

shall publish a list of those jurisdictions which prohibit possession of

a firearm by a person previously convicted of a felony or crimes which

if committed in New York state would constitute a felony.

13-a. Except in cities not wholly contained within a single county of

the state, possession of pistols and revolvers by a person who is a

nonresident of this state while attending or traveling to or from, an

organized convention or exhibition for the display of or education about

firearms, which is conducted under auspices of, or approved by, the

National Rifle Association and in which he is a registered participant,

within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that he has not been

previously convicted of a felony or a crime which, if committed in New

York, would constitute a felony, and further provided that the pistols

or revolvers are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container

together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention

or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card.

Such documentation shall constitute prima facie evidence of exemption,

providing that such person also has in his possession a pistol license

or firearms registration card issued in accordance with the laws of his

place of residence. For purposes of this paragraph, a person licensed in

a jurisdiction which does not authorize such license by a person who has

been previously convicted of a felony shall be presumed to have no prior

conviction. The superintendent of state police shall annually review the

laws of jurisdictions within the United States and Canada with respect

to the applicable requirements for licensing or registration of firearms

and shall publish a list of those jurisdictions which prohibit

possession of a firearm by a person previously convicted of a felony or

crimes which if committed in New York state would constitute a felony.

A lot of legalese there, but it sounds like an out of state competitor can bring 10 rounders to a shooting competition, but anything higher is a no-go.

I am by no means trivializing what's happening to our friends in NYS, but $60-80 for a bleeping 10 round M&P mag is quite steep I must say.

I bet if ask to borrow 10rd mags there are folks going to the match that would let you borrow some. Just be aware, god kills a kitten every time a low capacity magazine is sold.

I'm working on that angle. It's not like the M&P9 is an oddball pistol type. I don't know anyone that is going to the match, though.

Just don't go to NYS.

Yeah but the match is in NYS.. :)

There are a couple sanctioned matches around here as well so maybe I'm just being greedy, but I'd like to make it up there.

Simplify your life. Get a 1911 (or use the 1911 you already own) and shoot CDP.

I have 10-round mags for my cz 75, but they are so tight with 10 rounds in them that I can't realistically count on using them to reload with, so i use them only as the first mag in uspsa production and use hi-cap mags on my belt.

Rex - where are you from?

The Area 7 championship will be help in Epping, NH, Sept 13-15. I believe we still have some slots available. New Hampshire is the exact opposite of NY in terms of gun laws. Travel here is easy once you get past NY and MA.

The Area 7 championship will be help in Epping, NH, Sept 13-15. I believe we still have some slots available. New Hampshire is the exact opposite of NY in terms of gun laws. Travel here is easy once you get past NY and MA.

Blindbat,

I live down in PA.. probably a six-ish hr drive from Epping I imagine. PA, like NH, has some great gun laws, but it's like living on an island of common sense in the middle of an ocean of stupidity. Almost every direction from here is a minefield.

Boggles the mind that I'm a law abiding citizen here and if I were to cross the river into NJ I would be a felon.

Blindbat,

I live down in PA.. probably a six-ish hr drive from Epping I imagine. PA, like NH, has some great gun laws, but it's like living on an island of common sense in the middle of an ocean of stupidity. Almost every direction from here is a minefield.

Boggles the mind that I'm a law abiding citizen here and if I were to cross the river into NJ I would be a felon.

I ask because I dont know, you cant drive through these mine fields on your way to somewhere else ?

Blindbat,

I ask because I dont know, you cant drive through these mine fields on your way to somewhere else ?

Yeah shooting in NH wouldn't (shouldn't) be a problem, peaceable journey and all that. The problem with the NY shoot is the destination is the mine field.

With NY's new BS law, it's questionable whether you can bring in 10 round mags to shoot in a match.

Assuming work doesn't interfere, I'm going to try to a match tomorrow that I know a few of the guys shoot SSP/ESP up in NY. I will ask them what they are doing.

Edited by RexKramer

Just don't go to NYS.

Bad Advice.

Until an injunction to the NY Safe Act is ordered by the Courts...leave your standard capacity mags at home and bring only 10 rounders.There are 4 court challenges to the law and lawmakers are planning on amending the act to allow 10 round magazines to be sold again in the State due to the fact that they know the 7 round mag limit will be the 1st provision to be found unconstitutional.

NY shooters welcome all who come to visit and shoot. We'll be more than willing to help anyone out !

Stay out of New York all together. If they are going to pass those BS laws, then we shouldn't give the state any money, either in tourism, or any other way.

That is the exact logic we need to stop in it's tracks. registering and shooting these matches support the clubs that need the $$ to help us fight these insane laws! This will be a grassroots fight from the bottom up. All of our local clubs need your support more than ever.

Boomerg20

Stay out of New York all together. If they are going to pass those BS laws, then we shouldn't give the state any money, either in tourism, or any other way.

All you're doing is hurting the clubs who put on these matches and the local businesses who support them and punishing them for what the looneys in Albany did.

The majority of folks in NY don't support this law any more than the majority of folks in Illinois support Chicago's lunacy.

Just don't go to NYS.

All you're doing is hurting the clubs who put on these matches and the local businesses who support them and punishing them for what the looneys in Albany did.

The majority of folks in NY don't support this law any more than the majority of folks in Illinois support Chicago's lunacy.

COF is correct. You don't have to contribute to the economy, just bring a trailer/tent for accommodation and bring your own food.

The clubs still need to be supported.

Sheldon Silver, the #1 Democrat in the NYS legislature was in today's paper stating how he was for re-instating the 10rd magazine for NY. promising to vote these turd burglars out of office is the only thing that will change the laws.

I'm SO'ing the NY State match in may. If any out of staters are on the fence for coming and shoot 9mm Glocks, I'll loan you four of my ten round mags for using during the match.

I'm shooting Friday with the other workers so the mags will be available for the rest of the weekend. Just PM me and we can work out the details from there. Hope to see you at the match!