Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 Shadow main spring weight

Andreas

My SP01 came from CZC with a 13 lb. main spring, which I'm finding isn't 100% reliable on the ammo I'm shooting. I'm wondering what people have found regarding main-spring weights and ignition reliability across brands of ammo. I don't want to get a click instead of a bang during a match!

I've always used the 13# in my SP01 ( non shadow ). I never had a problem with factory ammo before I started reloading, and for the last two years my reloads are all with Winchester Small primers and never have any issues.

I recently put the 11.5# Cajun Gun Works spring in and so far so good, ( knock on wood ), no light strikes on the WSP's.

ETA: I will add that I have had light strike issues in the past but it wasn't the spring that was causing the problems, it was excess/unwanted Oil in the firing pin channel. Make sure you are not oiling the firing pin at all. Anything in there will attract enough fine dirt/dust to cause a lot of headaches.

Edited by CZinSC

Thanks for all the great info! I'm shooting reloaded ammunition that I purchased. I'll check the primers this evening along with the firing pin channel in my pistol. It's good to know that the 13 lb spring should provide 100% reliable ignition.

You may find that using an extended firing pin is the cure-all. Also, what CZinSC wrote is a must. BTW, over the years I've noted that high primers (ie, those not seating firmly in reloading) cause failure-to-fire more than light hammer springs.

A-G

in my cz75, with a 13lb mainspring and the stock firing pin, i occasionally (every thousand rounds?) got a light strike using cci primers. I suspected it was probably due to a high primer. Once I went to the extended firing pin (available from cgw or cz-custom), i get zero light-strikes ever.

I would measure my fp to make sure you don't already have the extended one. They seem to put th extended fp on pretty much all of their customized guns. But if you don't have one already, I would get one.

Bassochist,

You can purchase them from any of the CZ vendors. I'm pretty sure that would be true in Europe as well as here in the States.

A-G

i assume, that this is a firing pin manufactured by cz itself??

do you have part number??

I was running a 13lb mainspring trouble-free with any & all primers used in my reloads. I then had a trigger job done by a gunsmith, and started getting light strikes. I tried using extended firing pin but was still getting occasional light strikes. I then switched to Federal primers, and no longer have any issues.

Bassochist,

You can purchase them from any of the CZ vendors. I'm pretty sure that would be true in Europe as well as here in the States.

A-G

i assume, that this is a firing pin manufactured by cz itself??

do you have part number??

Go to Cagun Gun Works, David has an online store and he's the BEST when it comes to CZ stuff. Order an extended FP and never look back. The best $25 you will spend on your shadow.

I'm thinking of trying an 8.5# spring with my Extended FP!

• 2 weeks later...

You may find that using an extended firing pin is the cure-all. Also, what CZinSC wrote is a must. BTW, over the years I've noted that high primers (ie, those not seating firmly in reloading) cause failure-to-fire more than light hammer springs.

A-G

thats what i did i put an extended firing pin in and everythings good