Any new 1-6 or bigger scopes?

RickeyT

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new Meopta K-Dot is 1-6x an i ordered one ,it should come within the next 14 days and if it is as good as the 1-4 x it will be a great scope for half the price of the Swarovski.

How much u paid for it? In Finland Swaro is about 1900e and first indications of kdot2 price are between 1200 and 1400.

I finally got my SWFA 1-6 about a month ago and got it mounted up. Looks like a good scope, but this is coming from someone who was pretty much happy with the Burris Tac30. I just felt like I needed to get in on all the 1-6 newness. Actually, it was the facebook group by/Tax Day Deal last year and all the $$$ savings that hooked me. Anyway. I got the scope mounted but haven't actually shot it yet. Still I can answer some questions about it.

Noted an earlier post about the new SWFA 1-6, has anybody else tested/purchased one?
The FFP with the doughnut @1x looks interesting but was curious at what power it was no longer visible.

Someone somewhere, not here, can't remember where, complained that the circle was visible all the way to 6x. This is not the case. The scopes paralax/eye box focus is just aweful out of the box and really needs to be set. Mine looked like it was 1.5x on 1 out of the box with a lot of distortion toward the edge as well. About 20 minutes of adjusting in and out to find the sweet spot for my eye (20/20 vision) and I found it to be a crisp 1x as advertised. I never had an issue with the circle at higher magnification and found it to fall out of view around 5x. At that point it is really thick with the FFP, and does actually seem like it would block some FOV. I'll really have to take it to the range and look through it at 3-5x to see where it would sit and if it could potentially be in the way.

I found with my previous scope(Tac30) however, that I only used it at 1x, 2-3x for 50yd+ shots and full 4x on anything longer than 100yards. So the 3-5x range doesn't seem like it would be used much as I'd just go straight to 6x... that's what I'm thinking anyway.

I to am curious about the SWFA. Doesn't seem like many people used them on here tho.

I just got mine and wanted to use it for the Multigun Nationals, but I didn't have time to go Zero it, and I found the power ring a little stiff and in need of a switchview, which I still haven't ordered. I'm kinda glad I stuck with the Tac30 though, since the MG Nationals longest shot was only a ~250 yard 6" head box. The last position got me a little, but that was more me moving around and not holding right, not a lack of magnification.

Noted an earlier post about the new SWFA 1-6, has anybody else tested/purchased one?
The FFP with the doughnut @1x looks interesting but was curious at what power it was no longer visible.

I got this scope, for the specific reason that I have been shooting an EOTech with 5x magnifier and I wanted to move to a variable scope. So, I wanted the 1x reticle to be as similar to my EOTech circle/dot as possible.

I've had it out for a few practice sessions and one match now, and I really like it. At 1x, the doughnut is great; smaller than the EOTech circle, but bigger by far than any other FFP 1x I have seen. Right at 6x, the outer ring completely disappears and you just have standard crosshairs/stadia with an illuminated central section. The match had targets out to 300yds and the 6x reticle was easy to use. Also, for the first time (since my previous setup was 1x or 5x with nothing in between), I took advantage of intermediate zoom on a 40--50yd rifle stage. It was my best stage of the match, hosing all ten paper targets at about 2.5x.

Most of the scopes I have tried in the past are about 3.5"--3.8" eye relief. The SWFA 1-6x is just over 4", meaning it sits a little farther forward. I used a Bobro cantilever mount, run as far forward on the receiver as it will go, and it works well. The eyebox is a little more forgiving than the Bushnell 1-6.5x, I think (I have used both but not side-by-side), though I expect more expensive scopes are even better than that.

What I can say is I bought it for the reticle, and I am quite pleased.

Here is the reticle at 1x:

I'm glad to hear someone is happy with it :) I can't wait to get some trigger time behind mine. I almost backed out of the deal when I heard they were changing the reticle, but stuck in after I heard what they did do. I love that it's FFP and the circle seems like it'll be fast. I just wish that it was a little brighter. From my initial impression, it seems like it might be difficult to get a quick index and know the point of impact on a target at 1x, especially like a metric target head shot. The reticle is really fine at 1x... we'll see if that's the case in practice or not though.

I to am curious about the SWFA. Doesn't seem like many people used them on here tho.

That's because the FOV sucks!

Holy Crap, I didn't even compare the leading scopes in this respect. There is a large difference there. I'm not sure how much that matters, but at some point I'm sure a wider FOV would be an advantage. I'm not that great at the long range game and find myself prarie dogging even when I could probably still see the target through the scope or in the other eye... something I need to work on. Anyway, for those interested, here's how they stack up. FOV @ 100 yards, measured in feet. Numbers from SWFA:

Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6i 30mm: 127.5 - 20.4

Vortex 1-6x24 Razor HD Gen II 30mm: 115.2 - 20.5

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm: 95.0 -15.9

For reference:

Burris 1-4x24 Fullfield TAC 30 Tactical 30mm: 100.0 - 32

I assume the first number is at 1x and the last is at the top magnification. The Swaro and Vortex seem to be nicely matched, but you're right, the SWFA does fall short in that area. But the question is whether or not that amount of lost FOV will matter, and how much.

Ccoker - Are you talking about the Trijicon 1-6 VCOG?

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_item.php?whats_newID=news_122

Expensive, heavy, MOA turrets, integral scope mount, AA battery, mediocre values for exit pupil or FOV, less than exiting reticle choices, dot brightness(?)

Considering how long Trijicon took to get this out, I was expecting more from them.

Edited by gose

Expensive, heavy, MOA turrets, integral scope mount, AA battery, mediocre values for exit pupil or FOV, less than exiting reticle choices, dot brightness(?)

Considering how long Trijicon took to get this out, I was expecting more from them.

Looked through it at the NRA show yesterday. I was very disappointed in it.

In the glass, illumination or just in general?

In the glass, illumination or just in general?

Glass, reticle, and in general. That large area of the reticle that illuminates is distracting and blocks a lot of your view. The whole thing just didn't look or feel like a $2k scope.

Has anyone had their hands on the new USO 1-8?

Looked at it at the SHOT show. It was pretty nice all around but it's priced about the same as the Swarovski. I think the Z6i is still the best out there for 3 Gun.

The new Meopta K-Dot is 1-6x an i ordered one ,it should come within the next 14 days and if it is as good as the 1-4 x it will be a great scope for half the price of the Swarovski.

How much u paid for it? In Finland Swaro is about 1900e and first indications of kdot2 price are between 1200 and 1400.

The reticle choices in the R2 dont look too exciting though.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/r2-1-6x24-rd/meostar-r2-1-6x24rd/ctgRen.html?interestTopic=3

I'm glad to hear someone is happy with it :) I can't wait to get some trigger time behind mine. I almost backed out of the deal when I heard they were changing the reticle, but stuck in after I heard what they did do. I love that it's FFP and the circle seems like it'll be fast. I just wish that it was a little brighter. From my initial impression, it seems like it might be difficult to get a quick index and know the point of impact on a target at 1x, especially like a metric target head shot. The reticle is really fine at 1x... we'll see if that's the case in practice or not though.

I was just out practicing 25–50yd headshots (as there were a lot of those at Topton). I am zeroed at 50yds, so I am an inch-and-a-bit low at 25yds. For 25 yards, all I did was lay the horizontal crosshair on top of the target and shoot. At 50 yards, just put the crosshairs in the middle of the head and shoot. It worked well.

CJW

I finally got my SWFA 1-6 about a month ago and got it mounted up. Looks like a good scope, but this is coming from someone who was pretty much happy with the Burris Tac30. I just felt like I needed to get in on all the 1-6 newness. Actually, it was the facebook group by/Tax Day Deal last year and all the $$$ savings that hooked me

The scopes paralax/eye box focus is just aweful out of the box and really needs to be set. Mine looked like it was 1.5x on 1 out of the box with a lot of distortion toward the edge as well. About 20 minutes of adjusting in and out to find the sweet spot for my eye (20/20 vision) and I found it to be a crisp 1x as advertised

Ive had the SWFA 1-4X for almost 2 years and was seriously thinking about upgrading to the SWFA 1-6X.

However, Ive got some problems with the 1-4X. At 1X, the reticle always looks in focus. However, at 4X, if I move my eye a little off-center, the reticle goes out-of-focus. From what Ive read from SWFAs tech support, some people just have focusing problems with FFP scopes.

The other issue is that you can see a large shadow of the scope when looking through the lens. That shadow didnt bother me UNTIL I looked through a Vortex Razor HD 1-6X and only saw a thin outline!!!

From the reviews that I read of the SWFA 1-6X, the items that I disliked on the 1-4X are still with the 1-6X.

Even with the issues of the SWFA, I almost ordered another one, but the SWFA1-6X was still not in stock in April 2013 (only the pre-orders were getting delivered). Since I didnt sign up for last years group buy, the SWFA 1-6X would have cost $1000. With the 10% cash discount at Eurooptics, I got the Vortex 1-6X for $1260.

When I compared my close range drills, I was always faster with the Vortex at 1X vs the SWFA at 1X.

With the Vortex at 6X, if I moved my eye off center, the reticle ALWAYS stayed in focus. With the SWFA at 4X, the reticle would go out-of-focus if my eye was a little off center.

I had reservations with the Vortex BDC reticle because I had learned to use and like the mil-hash reticle on the SWFA. Now, Im definitely faster with the uncluttered Vortex BDC.

Ive been shooting with the Vortex 1-6X for the past month and Im damn glad I spent the extra $260!

The SWFA 1-4X is now sitting on my Ruger Scout Rifle.

• 6 months later...

I finally got my SWFA 1-6 about a month ago and got it mounted up. Looks like a good scope, but this is coming from someone who was pretty much happy with the Burris Tac30. I just felt like I needed to get in on all the 1-6 newness. Actually, it was the facebook group by/Tax Day Deal last year and all the $$$ savings that hooked me. Anyway. I got the scope mounted but haven't actually shot it yet. Still I can answer some questions about it.

Someone somewhere, not here, can't remember where, complained that the circle was visible all the way to 6x. This is not the case. The scopes paralax/eye box focus is just aweful out of the box and really needs to be set. Mine looked like it was 1.5x on 1 out of the box with a lot of distortion toward the edge as well. About 20 minutes of adjusting in and out to find the sweet spot for my eye (20/20 vision) and I found it to be a crisp 1x as advertised. I never had an issue with the circle at higher magnification and found it to fall out of view around 5x. At that point it is really thick with the FFP, and does actually seem like it would block some FOV. I'll really have to take it to the range and look through it at 3-5x to see where it would sit and if it could potentially be in the way.

I found with my previous scope(Tac30) however, that I only used it at 1x, 2-3x for 50yd+ shots and full 4x on anything longer than 100yards. So the 3-5x range doesn't seem like it would be used much as I'd just go straight to 6x... that's what I'm thinking anyway.

I just got mine and wanted to use it for the Multigun Nationals, but I didn't have time to go Zero it, and I found the power ring a little stiff and in need of a switchview, which I still haven't ordered. I'm kinda glad I stuck with the Tac30 though, since the MG Nationals longest shot was only a ~250 yard 6" head box. The last position got me a little, but that was more me moving around and not holding right, not a lack of magnification.

I got this scope, for the specific reason that I have been shooting an EOTech with 5x magnifier and I wanted to move to a variable scope. So, I wanted the 1x reticle to be as similar to my EOTech circle/dot as possible.

I've had it out for a few practice sessions and one match now, and I really like it. At 1x, the doughnut is great; smaller than the EOTech circle, but bigger by far than any other FFP 1x I have seen. Right at 6x, the outer ring completely disappears and you just have standard crosshairs/stadia with an illuminated central section. The match had targets out to 300yds and the 6x reticle was easy to use. Also, for the first time (since my previous setup was 1x or 5x with nothing in between), I took advantage of intermediate zoom on a 40--50yd rifle stage. It was my best stage of the match, hosing all ten paper targets at about 2.5x.

Most of the scopes I have tried in the past are about 3.5"--3.8" eye relief. The SWFA 1-6x is just over 4", meaning it sits a little farther forward. I used a Bobro cantilever mount, run as far forward on the receiver as it will go, and it works well. The eyebox is a little more forgiving than the Bushnell 1-6.5x, I think (I have used both but not side-by-side), though I expect more expensive scopes are even better than that.

What I can say is I bought it for the reticle, and I am quite pleased.

Here is the reticle at 1x:

That's because the FOV sucks!

Holy Crap, I didn't even compare the leading scopes in this respect. There is a large difference there. I'm not sure how much that matters, but at some point I'm sure a wider FOV would be an advantage. I'm not that great at the long range game and find myself prarie dogging even when I could probably still see the target through the scope or in the other eye... something I need to work on. Anyway, for those interested, here's how they stack up. FOV @ 100 yards, measured in feet. Numbers from SWFA:

Swarovski 1-6x24 Z6i 30mm: 127.5 - 20.4

Vortex 1-6x24 Razor HD Gen II 30mm: 115.2 - 20.5

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm: 95.0 -15.9

For reference:

Burris 1-4x24 Fullfield TAC 30 Tactical 30mm: 100.0 - 32

I assume the first number is at 1x and the last is at the top magnification. The Swaro and Vortex seem to be nicely matched, but you're right, the SWFA does fall short in that area. But the question is whether or not that amount of lost FOV will matter, and how much.

I ordered one of these after seeing it this past weekend. very cool.SSHD16X24D SWFA SS HD 1-6x24 Tactical 30mgot a 10% discount from a friend.

Noted an earlier post about the new SWFA 1-6, has anybody else tested/purchased one?The FFP with the doughnut @1x looks interesting but was curious at what power it was no longer visible.

I got this scope, for the specific reason that I have been shooting an EOTech with 5x magnifier and I wanted to move to a variable scope. So, I wanted the 1x reticle to be as similar to my EOTech circle/dot as possible.I've had it out for a few practice sessions and one match now, and I really like it. At 1x, the doughnut is great; smaller than the EOTech circle, but bigger by far than any other FFP 1x I have seen. Right at 6x, the outer ring completely disappears and you just have standard crosshairs/stadia with an illuminated central section. The match had targets out to 300yds and the 6x reticle was easy to use. Also, for the first time (since my previous setup was 1x or 5x with nothing in between), I took advantage of intermediate zoom on a 40--50yd rifle stage. It was my best stage of the match, hosing all ten paper targets at about 2.5x.Most of the scopes I have tried in the past are about 3.5"--3.8" eye relief. The SWFA 1-6x is just over 4", meaning it sits a little farther forward. I used a Bobro cantilever mount, run as far forward on the receiver as it will go, and it works well. The eyebox is a little more forgiving than the Bushnell 1-6.5x, I think (I have used both but not side-by-side), though I expect more expensive scopes are even better than that.What I can say is I bought it for the reticle, and I am quite pleased.Here is the reticle at 1x:

Hey guys any updates on your impression of the SWFA

I am hoping that the rumors of a FFP 1 x 10 with a Field of View at 100 Yards (1x)=128ft. and (10x)=12ft.

with a reticle that looks something like this [pic] comes true at Shot Show!

Damn! Me, too! *drool*

The reticle choices in the R2 dont look too exciting though.

http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/r2-1-6x24-rd/meostar-r2-1-6x24rd/ctgRen.html?interestTopic=3

I'd really like one if they had the zdot reticle