Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Made Master in L10...Crap! Now what?

SteveZ

Ok...I've got a problem that I'm hoping some of you have experienced and can help me through it. I just made Master in L10 and as luck would have it, I did it JUST before heading off to the Area 1 Championship this weekend. I was hoping to make Master at some point...but I was hoping to do it AFTER Area 1...but thats all history now.

So today I shoot my first club match today as a Master...I get the typical "congrats for making Master" thing from all the people who know that I've been pushing for it. Unfortunately (or fortunately...depending on your perspective) I get myself squaded on the Super Squad with Tom Dean, Yong Lee, Lisa Munson, Joe DeSimone and about every other GM/M shooter in the area.

First stage...gun jams 3 times (failure to extract...on every one). I had just changed to a lighter recoil spring the night before and wanted to test it during the match...but I didn't expect THIS to happen. After tanking that stage, I went over to the safety area and put the original recoil spring back in...and tweaked the extractor while I was at it...then went and put 30 rounds through the gun without a problem.

OK....is it going to work? Hope so! (turns out the gun ran great the rest of the day).....I just wish I did! And there's the crux of my question. While I wasn't consciously trying to "prove" anything to anyone, I feel that I subconsciously was possibly trying to show I belonged. Generally speaking, I didn't feel relaxed and in control as I normally do during a match...and my match suffered for it.

When I made A class...it was no big deal...but for some reason, making Master Class has brought on a whole new level of stress that I wasn't expecting.

So did any of you experience this "performance anxiety" or feeling of trying to prove something when making M/GM and how did you deal with it. I really don't want to tank Area 1 this upcoming weekend and need to figure out how to keep to my normal game plan and not let the stress get to me.

Careful what you wish for...you might just get it. I feel like I just opened Pandora's Box....and I don't like how it initially looks inside! :o

woo hoo..another master..congratulations..I am hoping someday I can get my L10 master card...

it is a great accomplishment..and it probably seems everyone is looking at you and asking your advise on how to shoot...

pretty soon it will all wear off and you can get back to what you were doing to get there...

as Shred said..see the sights, call the shot, and drive...

First stage...gun jams 3 times (failure to extract...on every one). 

I'm sorry, Steve. I will take full responsibility for this. Had I not told you about all my latest gun woes and broken parts, that would't have happened. I'll bring the holy water with me to Area 1. ;)

Think positive, speak positive, let negativity go. It's all mental.

You'll do great.

:D

Suck it up big boy!  :)

....with friends like you guys..... :P

John...good idea!

Sniper...its going to take more than "holy water"! ;)

Shred...good advice. Ok...I guess I just get to struggle for a while until I find my way again.

When I made A class...it was no big deal...but for some reason, making Master Class has brought on a whole new level of stress that I wasn't expecting.

It's the name: Master. Makes you think you have to be perfect all the time.

So did any of you experience this "performance anxiety" or feeling of trying to prove something when making M/GM and how did you deal with it. I really don't want to tank Area 1 this upcoming weekend and need to figure out how to keep to my normal game plan and not let the stress get to me.

Haven't made Master in L-10 yet, but I had exactly the same experience after winning IDPA state champion (CDP) in 2002. I got lucky and, as an Expert shooter, beat the 2nd place (Master class) shooter by about 20 seconds. And people were making a big deal out of me, for a few matches after that. On every stage it was, "So, how fast do you think YOU'LL do this?" And I blew the next few matches. I thought I had to win every match. I called this Post Major Accomplishment Depression. I talked to Travis Tomasie about this who instantly shortened it to PMAD and said, "I know just what you mean. When I won my first Area championship, I lost my next club match."

I had just changed to a lighter recoil spring the night before and wanted to test it during the match

Okay, I don't need to tell you THAT'S a bad idea now, right? The place to test gun mods is before the match, not during. And I say that as someone who did the exact same thing - granted I did at least test the thing a few hundred rounds before the match - before the 2004 WA State IDPA Championships a few weeks ago, and had the exact same result. Dropped the 16-pounder back in the gun and finished the match without another problem.

Sniper...its going to take more than "holy water"!   ;)

Ok, I'll also bring my single stacks for you. I'm seriously considering a 2nd back up Open gun for myself... :lol:

shipout.jpg

Luke "I don't believe it."

Yoda "That is why you fail."

Trust in the Force ;)

Steve,... you have nothing to "prove"... just to believe...

Hey steve, look at the bright side, I won L-10 for you today thanks :D

I thought you would be there today and I thought TDEAN was going to shoot L-10 and who knows how many others WAY better than I am so I took stages 1-5 nice and slow and I shot pretty good just wanted fun on the last stage so I hosed it without the sites and got a mike. Then results are up and I did ok but you still beat me on 4 stages I'm allowed 2 lucky ones! I seem to shoot best when I think I'm outclassed I then end up taking my time and get my hits and things turn out great!

And don't forget you beat D Holiwell he's a master class and you were above him! and you were near the top of the pack out of 43 shooters for the day

Steven,

Stress is nothing more than the anticipated result of your performance. Don't anticipate, shoot in the moment, let the results take care of themselves. Remember, what you did prior to making Master is what got you to Master. Don't change what you were doing. It's only a piece of damm paper with a "M" on it. Only you give it meaning.

Erik

Steven,

A friend of mine did the same thing except in IDPA he went from SS to EX CDP

he had been shooting very good for the last 5 or 6 months, went to Ohio and shot in thier State match, won it as a SS. they did not move him into EXpert class at the time ( they can do that ).

He comes home is proud of his accomplishment and starts looking forward to IDPA Nationals as SS. WELL Ohio promptly sends him his new Expert card about 3 weeks before IDPA nats.

He calls me up and asks " I was not planning on shooting in Expert class, was hoping to do good enough to get moved up at Nats, Now What do I do?"

I tell him, " You don't do ANYTHING different than you have been doing, you have been shooting at that level for a few months now, just go shoot like you always do."

I think you already know that as to get to M in USPSA takes knowledge and skill but is helps to hear it from some one else to reinforce it.

Good Luck and Congrats on the M Card.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...
I was hoping to make Master at some point...but I was hoping to do it AFTER Area 1...

Seems like where you finish might be more important to you than how you shoot. When you stop caring about where you finish and focus on how you are shooting, then you will find a whole new level of shooting.

I shot like poo-poo also after making M; and it was also at an Area 1. It will pass. Just keep shooting/practicing.

TY42385

Is this the so famous innnn-famous J h of the north west... how long ago was it that you shot a score soo low to only count as a lowly master class score? :D

edited[oct 11 2004] it is JH

Seems like where you finish might be more important to you than how you shoot. When you stop caring about where you finish and focus on how you are shooting, then you will find a whole new level of shooting.

Man, that is so true! I've recently hit that and am shooting much better.

Joel